MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Mac Nursing

Old 08-29-2008 at 01:59 PM   #136
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

I hear Data is way easier, compared to both MHF and MCV. But I guess it also depends on your teacher.
Old 08-29-2008 at 03:19 PM   #137
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

haha yeahh i know people who've taken both data and functions and have said that data is a lot easier, assignments and all.

Old 08-29-2008 at 03:37 PM   #138
MarinaA

Liked: 0 Times

i was in advanced functions for a while in first semester and i had a really hard time with it (especially since i had bio, chem, and english in the same semester as well as a job) so i ended up dropping it and taking data in 2nd sem.

some people in my class found data management confusing because it's nothing like the math you've done in the rest of highschool, but if you pay attention and ask questions you'll probably be fine. most of data is either using a new function on your calculator or memorizing short equations

twindy says thanks to MarinaA for this post.
Old 08-30-2008 at 08:05 PM   #139
twindy

i also have another question ... when i apply to McMaster for nursing are they going to look at my grade 11 and 12 marks or just grade 12 marks, im kinda worried since i didnt do too well in grade 11 but i am certain that this year i will do well.
Old 08-30-2008 at 08:11 PM   #140
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindy View Post
i also have another question ... when i apply to McMaster for nursing are they going to look at my grade 11 and 12 marks or just grade 12 marks, im kinda worried since i didnt do too well in grade 11 but i am certain that this year i will do well.
They are able to see your grade 11 marks on OUAC. However, grade 11 marks are not used in your final admission average. Just do well in grade 12, and you'll be fine!! Good luck!!
Old 08-30-2008 at 08:12 PM   #141
twindy

so when i apply in december wiill they just give me a conditional acceptance and then in june they will tell me if they have actually accepted me?
Old 08-30-2008 at 08:33 PM   #142
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
so when i apply in december wiill they just give me a conditional acceptance and then in june they will tell me if they have actually accepted me?

After you apply in the fall, conditional acceptance will be granted in late February/March based on your first semester grades. They will send you an offer of admission in the mail, which will tell you what grade you have to keep up in order to maintain your offer of admission. The conditional grade range is usually lower than the mark needed to be offered admission. For me, it was 80%. Therefore, it is advantageous to load your first semester with easy classes. They will not contact you in June if you have kept up your grades. You accept the offer on OUAC, and thats that. However, they will contact you and rescind your offer of admission if you have fallen below their conditional grade range.

Last edited by dvy88 : 08-30-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2008 at 08:39 PM   #143
twindy

oh ok... so what mark did you need to get conditional acceptance???
Old 08-30-2008 at 08:42 PM   #144
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
oh ok... so what mark did you need to get conditional acceptance???
Right now on the Mac website it states 83-86 is the admission range.

Oh, you might want to check out these statistics too. Scroll down till you see nursing. Its based on 2006 admissions though.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/cudo/htmlSectionB.html

Last edited by dvy88 : 08-30-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2009 at 06:13 AM   #145
AeRo

Liked: 10 Times

Hey!
so i see no ones posted here in awhile, but maybe someone can answer my question?
I`m going into the program starting in the fall (im a deferral from last year), and i was just wondering if someone could tell me more about pbl? just what you do, i was kind of curious! thanks!
btw, how is first year going for those i saw posting earlier in the thread?
Old 01-11-2009 at 09:42 AM   #146
SaraM

aero:

i'm not sure if the days of the week are going to be the same as this year, or last year when i had it... but on either monday or friday, you are going to have pbl for 3 hours (most likely from 8:30-11:30), and then on the other day (monday or friday), you will have clincal for 4 hours (8:30-12:30). You will most likely be in a group of 10, or something close to that for both of these classes.
The first pbl, your tutor (most likely a nurse who has her masters, or continued education) will lead discussion and facilitate the 3 hours.
After the first class, the students are encouraged to facilitate the sessions, coming in with planned agendas, someone who decides to keep notes, etc.
in pbl there are client situations.
"mr shaw has just retired and has been feeling depressed and moody ever since, he has high blood pressure..... etc"
you read them through... dissect what you know, and what you dont.
what you don't know are learning gaps that everyone takes home as homework for the next week. you learn more and more about the clients and you end the situation with a mock-interview with an actor.

thats just a rough idea as to what goes on in PBL.....

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 01-11-2009 at 09:55 AM   #147
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeRo View Post
Hey!
so i see no ones posted here in awhile, but maybe someone can answer my question?
I`m going into the program starting in the fall (im a deferral from last year), and i was just wondering if someone could tell me more about pbl? just what you do, i was kind of curious! thanks!
btw, how is first year going for those i saw posting earlier in the thread?
hey! i posted a review of the first semester pbl/clinical course in the reviews section:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2020 0

In the first few weeks in PBL, you get introduced to the theories behind problem-based learning, the McMaster Model, self-directed learning, information literacy and other concepts that will aid you in your health care scenarios. Later, you spend 3-4 weeks to work together and research practical solutions for each healthcare scenario. In PBL, you also go on a community trip and you have to write a paper on your experience. Our group went to the YWCA to work out with elderly women. Towards the end of the course, you also have to read the novel, Tuesdays with Morrie and write a paper on the major nursing concepts behind the novel.

Apparently though, the curriculum is changing for next year... from problem-based learning to person-based learning. I'm not exactly sure what that entails, but I guess it focuses more on the client as an individual.

Anyways, first year is going great! Its certainly possible to do well if you if you manage your time accordingly. The thing I like about the nursing program is that its very interdisciplinary. Its a mix of social sciences and sciences... the nursing course really emphasizes that.

AeRo says thanks to davey for this post.
Old 01-11-2009 at 05:53 PM   #148
AeRo

thanks davey!! that sounds really interesting, i`m so pumped! im just worried now i wont be able to communicate properly in the english language when i get back haha, like writing essays! (im on exchange right now, so my english skills are slowly disappearing)
Old 01-13-2009 at 03:05 AM   #149
AeRo

thanks sara too! Sorry, I didn`t see your post the first time I read it =)
Old 04-13-2011 at 08:51 PM   #150
tamititus

Liked: 1 Time

Hm, old thread so no one may reply buuuut, I have a question.

Is there anything I should make a point of reviewing from high school before I go into Nursing? Bio and chem are a given I take it but what about math?