MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy social science/ humanities as an elective? ae1011 Academics 19 06-07-2010 10:03 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM
To ALL first years (students and course takers) in Humanities and Social Science Goce Academics 9 10-08-2008 12:09 PM

Mac Social Sci/Humanities

Old 01-23-2011 at 08:32 PM   #91
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

@Mahratta: There is some truth in what you say. Ideally, there should be a balance between eloquence and good reasoning.
Old 01-25-2011 at 11:27 AM   #92
Giygas

Liked: 3 Times

Being in social science or humanities does not imply a person is stupid, so there is no need for everyone in these faculties to feel offended.

Conversely, if you were to find a stupid person enrolled in university, they are probably in social science or humanities (or maybe in first year of another faculty).

Done.
Old 01-25-2011 at 12:58 PM   #93
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

I'm not gonna lie, but some of the people in SOC SCI say the stupidest shit sometimes.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:08 PM   #94
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Humanities > Health Sci
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:11 PM   #95
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giygas View Post
Being in social science or humanities does not imply a person is stupid, so there is no need for everyone in these faculties to feel offended.

Conversely, if you were to find a stupid person enrolled in university, they are probably in social science or humanities (or maybe in first year of another faculty).

Done.
Saying "Being in social science or humanities does not imply a person is stupid" says a lot about how stupid they are .. Like u will never say the exact sentence with engineering/science inside it ... You know what i mean

Connor_92 likes this.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:23 PM   #96
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
Saying "Being in social science or humanities does not imply a person is stupid" says a lot about how stupid they are .. Like u will never say the exact sentence with engineering/science inside it ... You know what i mean
It's because of the ridiculous stereotypes, every faculty has their share of idiots, and their fair share of extremely intelligent individuals.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:25 PM   #97
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I can definitely agree that there are some people in Social Sciences and Humanities that say a lot of really dumb shit sometimes. My favourite example of this is when I took Linguistics in first year as an elective, and someone in the row behind me said that they'd sit closer to the front if it wasn't "too fronty."

But as someone who was in the Science faculty in first year, it's not like those courses were void of these people. I also live with 4 Engineers and am surprised that one of them manages to successfully dress himself in the morning without somehow injuring himself. The other day I watched him stick a pen in one of the wall sockets because he "thought it would do some cool shit" (I don't get it either).

While I'm not denying that there are dumb people in my faculty, I also feel that it's important to point out that a lot of Social Sciences courses are often used as elective courses for people in other faculties - therefore, the stupid things you overhear in those courses aren't necessarily being said by someone in that faculty.

People in every faculty are going to argue that there are less stupid people in in their faculty than others - whatever. People who say dumb things are unavoidable, and people seem to think there's a big correlation between common sense and academic strengths. People will no common sense are everywhere.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-25-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: I accidentally called everyone dumb.

Old 01-25-2011 at 01:26 PM   #98
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
It's because of the ridiculous stereotypes, every faculty has their share of idiots, and their fair share of extremely intelligent individuals.
I agree .. But people that say "social science ppl are NOT stupid" are actually insulting them .. I dont like people that say that
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:50 PM   #99
Mepper

Actually, Soc sci. / Humanities stereotypes make sense in 1st Year, no? These programs (along with Commerce) have the lowest admission requirements; so, in general, dumber people tend to apply to them. I'm assuming most idiots get filtered out by 2nd Year though, so these stereotypes don't mean much in upper years.

<----- Soc. Sci.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:58 PM   #100
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Actually, Soc sci. / Humanities stereotypes make sense in 1st Year, no? These programs (along with Commerce) have the lowest admission requirements; so, in general, dumber people tend to apply to them. I'm assuming most idiots get filtered out by 2nd Year though, so these stereotypes don't mean much in upper years.

<----- Soc. Sci.
Yes, but in SOCSCI or Humanities you don't need to take 2 maths.
So, it wouldn't really be fair to compare them, especially if Commerce requires ENG just as much as HUM/SOCSCI does.
Old 01-25-2011 at 02:01 PM   #101
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Commerce degree is useless ... Thats why im switching to science or engineering where the big boys are
Old 01-25-2011 at 02:07 PM   #102
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I think a lot of people overlook the vast difference in programs within these faculties, particularly Social Science. I also think people are confused as to what courses are taken by Social Sciences students. People in Economics share some courses with Commerce students. People in Geography share some courses with Earth and Environmental Science students. People in Psychology (Social Science) share some courses with students in Psychology (Science).

So it's interesting to hear people comment on how it's so "artsy" when a lot of the time, Social Science students aren't just taking "artsy" courses. Additionally, there are programs that require math courses in Social Sciences, and not all of the programs are entirely void of all math. Of course, it's nothing compared to what a Mathematics student would take, but still.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-25-2011 at 02:11 PM.

AlexBatt likes this.
Old 01-25-2011 at 02:10 PM   #103
Mepper

Quote:
Commerce degree is useless ... Thats why im switching to science or engineering where the big boys are
BComm will do you better than a BA or BSc alone I'm pretty sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
So it's interesting to hear people comment on how it's so "artsy" when a lot of the time, Social Science students aren't just taking "artsy" courses. Additionally, there are programs that require math courses in Social Sciences, and not all of the programs are entirely void of all math. Of course, it's nothing compared to what a Mathematics student would take, but still.
Yep, I'm in Soc. Sci. and my schedule this semester is Math 1LS3, BIO 1M03, PSYCH 1XX3, CHEM 1R03, and POLI SCI 1G06. Last semester was the same, except PHILOS instead of Chem. But that's cause I'm switching to Science, lol

Last edited by Mepper : 01-25-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2011 at 02:23 PM   #104
Giygas

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. I definitely would make the same claim with engineering/science inside it:

Being in engineering or science does not imply a person is stupid.

It's just a statement. What this is saying is that a person being in a certain faculty does not guarantee the conculsion that they are stupid based on this fact alone.

What I was saying before is that a person's intelligence may cause them to go in to a certain faculty based on their limitations, but a person's faculty is not necessarily a clear indicator of their intelligence.
Old 01-25-2011 at 03:47 PM   #105
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I can definitely agree that there are some people in Social Sciences and Humanities that say a lot of really dumb shit sometimes. My favourite example of this is when I took Linguistics in first year as an elective, and someone in the row behind me said that they'd sit closer to the front if it wasn't "too fronty."
I say stuff like that all the time.

alh24 likes this.