MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy social science/ humanities as an elective? ae1011 Academics 19 06-07-2010 10:03 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM
To ALL first years (students and course takers) in Humanities and Social Science Goce Academics 9 10-08-2008 12:09 PM

Mac Social Sci/Humanities

Old 01-25-2011 at 03:48 PM   #106
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giygas View Post
I don't know what you mean. I definitely would make the same claim with engineering/science inside it:

Being in engineering or science does not imply a person is stupid.

It's just a statement. What this is saying is that a person being in a certain faculty does not guarantee the conculsion that they are stupid based on this fact alone.

What I was saying before is that a person's intelligence may cause them to go in to a certain faculty based on their limitations, but a person's faculty is not necessarily a clear indicator of their intelligence.
i understand what you are saying
but youre suggesting a person going into soc sci isnt in science because theyre incapable of that.
this is not the case because not everyone loves science, or math
Old 01-25-2011 at 05:38 PM   #107
Giygas

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
i understand what you are saying
but youre suggesting a person going into soc sci isnt in science because theyre incapable of that.
this is not the case because not everyone loves science, or math
No that's not what I'm suggesting at all. I'm suggesting there exist people in social science and humanities who are there because they would not make it through other programs. I recognize that there are people in these faculties who are intelligent and care about what they do.
Old 01-25-2011 at 09:49 PM   #108
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giygas View Post
No that's not what I'm suggesting at all. I'm suggesting there exist people in social science and humanities who are there because they would not make it through other programs. I recognize that there are people in these faculties who are intelligent and care about what they do.
ppl cn be dum n gt in sci 2 u kno
lk @ me im liek da dumest in lif sci
srsly

...seriously.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-25-2011 at 10:14 PM   #109
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
@Mahratta: There is some truth in what you say. Ideally, there should be a balance between eloquence and good reasoning.
I don't know if there's 'truth' in it, so to speak...

Old 01-26-2011 at 01:01 AM   #110
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

I mean "truth" in the sense that it is true that "eloquence, rhetoric, and big words don't necessarily make a good argument."

Last edited by Needlenose : 01-26-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2011 at 06:41 AM   #111
Gooners

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Far from easy? I want to blast my brains out because of how easy the courses are. You're just stupid.

Not like grad school will do much, ololololololol
Uh yeah Grad school does a lot, not just Masters, your talkin about Law,Business and Med school, talkless of getting a Phd
Old 01-26-2011 at 10:55 AM   #112
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Look at what I've created...lololololol o.
Old 01-26-2011 at 11:09 AM   #113
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

yeah, a bunch of people who think even less of you... hehehe

sew12 likes this.
Old 01-26-2011 at 05:48 PM   #114
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
yeah, a bunch of people who think even less of you... hehehe
Is that even possible?
Old 01-26-2011 at 06:02 PM   #115
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Holy crap...

Here's the reality. You could wipe your ass with a degree from Lakehead and drop it on an employer's desk, it still won't make a difference... it's who you know, and then secondarily what you're like as a communicator... if you have a 12 average out of nuclear engineering, but are a moron with zero social skills, you're going to have as hard of a time as a guy straight out of high school who is the next Barack Obama in terms of charisma and intelligence. Your degree barely matters, and from faculty to faculty there are different occupations for different degrees so you're comparing apples to oranges, and nothing, I mean nothing is just handed to you when you leave school so until you can walk the walk, your faculty doesn't matter for shit all. If a Humanities kid ends up as a pizza delivery boy, it's not his degree's fault, is his fault for not pursuing his degree enough. Commerce and Engineering and Science are just as unlikely to find secure jobs.

The only reason (to me) that Humanities and Soc Sci to a lesser extent get such a reputation for producing students that go nowhere in life, is because of their lower average. Parents push their kids through school, or kids want a degree on their own, but they were lazy in high school, they had a shit high school average, and it carries over to university where they can't get in (or have the motivation to complete a degree in) "higher" programs.

It's all what you make of your degree. I'm in Commerce and I don't expect my degree to be much more valuable than a Humanities degree unless I pursue career opportunities.

And besides, you can get into grad school with any degree.

Old 01-26-2011 at 06:06 PM   #116
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Holy crap...

Here's the reality. You could wipe your ass with a degree from Lakehead and drop it on an employer's desk, it still won't make a difference... it's who you know, and then secondarily what you're like as a communicator... if you have a 12 average out of nuclear engineering, but are a moron with zero social skills, you're going to have as hard of a time as a guy straight out of high school who is the next Barack Obama in terms of charisma and intelligence. Your degree barely matters, and from faculty to faculty there are different occupations for different degrees so you're comparing apples to oranges, and nothing, I mean nothing is just handed to you when you leave school so until you can walk the walk, your faculty doesn't matter for shit all. If a Humanities kid ends up as a pizza delivery boy, it's not his degree's fault, is his fault for not pursuing his degree enough. Commerce and Engineering and Science are just as unlikely to find secure jobs.

The only reason (to me) that Humanities and Soc Sci to a lesser extent get such a reputation for producing students that go nowhere in life, is because of their lower average. Parents push their kids through school, or kids want a degree on their own, but they were lazy in high school, they had a shit high school average, and it carries over to university where they can't get in (or have the motivation to complete a degree in) "higher" programs.

It's all what you make of your degree. I'm in Commerce and I don't expect my degree to be much more valuable than a Humanities degree unless I pursue career opportunities.

you need certain marks to get into grad school though
Old 01-26-2011 at 06:08 PM   #117
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
you need certain marks to get into grad school though

That wasn't the point, I'm well aware of that... and if that's your argument, then I guess Humanities degrees are actually better
Old 01-26-2011 at 06:14 PM   #118
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Holy crap...

Sooo, true. I know some really smart engineers and people in life sciences. 0 social skills, never had a part time job, never network nothing..

On the other hand, I also know people who are not "really" smart, but like a 10 smart, who have decent enough social skills to get summer jobs with RIM and Microsoft.
Old 01-26-2011 at 06:20 PM   #119
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Holy crap...

This is true, my father was telling me he recently hired an assistant territorial manager for a water pump company, he just graduated with his BA in art history, but he demonstrates a strong willingness to learn and has great communication skills. As well, according to my father, he actively seeks out students with BAs to work in business because they possess very strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, and other employers say the same, so honestly, the BA isn't a "worthless" degree.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 01-27-2011 at 10:12 PM   #120
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
I mean "truth" in the sense that it is true that "eloquence, rhetoric, and big words don't necessarily make a good argument."
Yes, I know. That's not what I meant when I commented, though. It was supposed to be a cheeky bit on epistemology...you spoiled it :(