MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
go train on a friday morning kirsten..! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-17-2010 07:38 AM
Go Train ID Taryn328 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-04-2010 02:50 PM
Go Bus / Train Help jordan23 General Discussion 2 09-11-2009 12:35 PM
GO Bus/Train to Scarborough niteskie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-07-2009 11:43 AM
go train? neff First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-12-2008 11:32 AM

Mac- Union Train Help

Old 03-31-2011 at 09:37 AM   #1
MeganB214

Liked: 1 Time

Mac- Union Train Help
So I understand that (during rush hour- ill be going around 5) that the fastest way to get to union from Mac is to take the go bus to Aldershot and then get on the train from Aldershot to Union.

How exactly do tickets for this work? Do I just buy one ticket and they give me a transfer when
I get on the bus?

Also, any help as to where I get on the train once getting to the Aldershot GO? Ive never taken the train before so im completely clueless!

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011 at 09:41 AM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganB214 View Post
So I understand that (during rush hour- ill be going around 5) that the fastest way to get to union from Mac is to take the go bus to Aldershot and then get on the train from Aldershot to Union.

How exactly do tickets for this work? Do I just buy one ticket and they give me a transfer when
I get on the bus?

Also, any help as to where I get on the train once getting to the Aldershot GO? Ive never taken the train before so im completely clueless!

Thanks!
You get a ticket, they stamp it on the bus and you keep it on the train. Also, the fastest way to Union is to take the bus to Dundurn plaza and then take the GO bus to Union from there.
Old 03-31-2011 at 09:55 AM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:

I get on the bus?

Thanks!
incorrect... the quickest way is the hamilton qew bus
go to hamilton go station and take the bus from there... they also pick up at dundurn

but if u wanted to take the aldershot route... theres only one train (aldershot is the last station most of the day)... so u wont get lost (follow the crowd)

lux likes this.
Old 03-31-2011 at 09:59 AM   #4
sf

Liked: 36 Times

If you want to take the train just go to compass and buy a ticket, give it to the bus driver to punch and then when you get to Aldershot follow the crowd of people to the train. It isn't the fastest but for someone who has never riden the train before it may be a bit easier since the bus pciks you up at Mac and there will be tons of people to follow.
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:15 AM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Every time I've gone, I've purchased the ticket from the bus driver - he can print you off one right there, and you keep it through your trip.
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:28 AM   #6
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Every time I've gone, I've purchased the ticket from the bus driver - he can print you off one right there, and you keep it through your trip.
You can do this, but I have come across instances where this isn't possible and some of them won't allow this during rush hour to try keep things moving. If you aren't in a rush I would suggest buying the ticket in advance, but if this isn't possible then yes it is possible to buy the ticket on the bus.
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:34 AM   #7
MeganB214

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks!!

I have time to buy it in advance, so think i'll just do that.
Can it only be 4 hours in advance? I saw that someone but i'm not sure what it was referring to.
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:37 AM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Thanks!!

Can it only be 4 hours in advance? I saw that someone but i'm not sure what it was referring to.
If it's a one way ticket you have to buy it if you're leaving in four hours. If it's a two ride pass you can use it whenever you want.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:37 AM   #9
sf

Quote:
Thanks!!

Yes, if you are buying a 1 way ticket then you have to use it within 4 hours. If you buy a 2 ride ticket there is no time limit.
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:43 AM   #10
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

how long does this aldershot route take exactly?

even at 5 pm the go bus will only take a maximum of 1 h 30 min, that might be the better route.
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:48 AM   #11
lux

Liked: 318 Times

i think giftedchick is right, i went to union once, Mac --> Hamilton GO station --> Union

QEW express to union come like every hour. and is very fast

will take u under an hour
Old 03-31-2011 at 10:50 AM   #12
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post

even at 5 pm the go bus will only take a maximum of 1 h 30 min, that might be the better route.
I always take this when I'm going back to Clarkson, and its roughly 40-50 minutes of travel time. Its something like 10-15 bus (depending on traffic) to aldershot go, while the train ride is something like half an hour to Clarkson, so if your travelling to Union, your train ride will take approx. 45-50 minutes I guess.

MeganB214, SciMania all say thanks to Deegs14 for this post.
Old 03-31-2011 at 11:48 AM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post

the aldershot way takes about 1.5 hrs and the bus only comes to mac once per hour (even at peak times)

teh qew bus takes less than an hour to get to union (sometimes 1hr15 if theres traffic)... and comes evry half hour during peak and every hour during other times of the day

SciMania says thanks to giftedchick for this post.