MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
MacPass 2009 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 07-14-2009 12:16 PM
MacPass 2008 Discussion tee33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 06-25-2009 12:00 AM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

MACPASS 2009 Discussion

Old 06-30-2009 at 12:55 AM   #76
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Perhaps. I had heard at least mutterings by the end of last June! This year...*cricket cricket*

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-30-2009 at 01:03 AM   #77
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Well, I heard a few rumours going around but since it's not official, it's probably not true anyway.
Old 06-30-2009 at 05:10 AM   #78
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I thought it was a huge waste of money imo.

Just figure out who's playing at the indoor concert. That's the only thing that you really need it for. A friend of mine didn't buy one and she was allowed into pretty much everything (except the indoor concert)
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:03 AM   #79
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I thought it was a huge waste of money imo.

Just figure out who's playing at the indoor concert. That's the only thing that you really need it for. A friend of mine didn't buy one and she was allowed into pretty much everything (except the indoor concert)
Ya, I kind of agree. They didn't really check for a lot of things, and I ended up finding 90% of the free swag you get littered all over the ground (I collected over 9000 little keychain flashlights last year :p).

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:17 AM   #80
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

If no one purchases the Macpass the events/swag etc will be less plentiful and less good.

They use the money people send in to purchase Macpasses to put on these events and purchase the swag for the passes.

The bands need to be paid, the t-shirts need to be bought etc.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:06 AM   #81
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Does anyone ever wear those T-shirts again? I found the shirt was pretty cheap and shrunk upon washing. There were a couple engineers I noticed though that seemed to continuously wear their shirts everyday for the whole year. lol
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:08 AM   #82
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I wore my faculty shirt into obscurity (fading, thinning of the material etc). I don't wear my res shirt as much because I want to keep it, but I still wear it from time to time too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-30-2009 at 09:41 AM   #83
sew12
Elite Member

I still wear mine. Usually to bed or on a lazy day at home or if I haven't done laundry in a while. Very useful shirts.

magicurry likes this.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:43 AM   #84
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If no one purchases the Macpass the events/swag etc will be less plentiful and less good.

They use the money people send in to purchase Macpasses to put on these events and purchase the swag for the passes.

The bands need to be paid, the t-shirts need to be bought etc.
Most of the swag wasn't that great. As for the bands, judging from last year, Alexis on fire was only about $30-35/ticket. Metric, I've seen for $20-30 depending on the venue. The t-shirts are bought in bulk and they're sweatshop made meaning they're super cheap to produc. I didn't end up wearing mine after WW.

:\ For cash-strapped students, $120 is A LOT for what you're actually getting.

Mac's WW is never that great anyways (just my opinion).
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:52 AM   #85
sew12
Elite Member

I disagree that the swag wasn't great and that Welcome Week isn't good. I don't know why your experience was bad but I think the pros of the Macpass and Welcome Week far outweigh any cons.

Welcome Week is the best opportunity to have some fun before starting University, meet new people who you will be spending between 8 months and 4 years with and make lots of great friends, possible lifelong friends. Coming into University not knowing anyone else can be a difficult adjustment for a lot of people and Welcome Week really helps with that. There are tons of events to facilitate meeting other students in your residence and faculty or program. I think going into the first week of school without having attended any Welcome Week events would be a poor decision, especially if you're shy or don't know anyone going to Mac or have trouble making new friends. The Welcome Week events are great environments to come out of your shell a little bit and talk to strangers that will hopefully become great friends. If you'll be living in residence especially meeting your fellow residence mates and bonding with them on Welcome Week is a must. It will make your residence experience so much better if you get to know the other people in the building.

Faculty day/night are also a must imo. You will be spending between 3-5 years in your Undergraduate Program and getting to know other people who will be in your classes and going through the same things you will is a great benefit.

Again I'm not sure why you didn't like Welcome Week but I think telling people Welcome Week at Mac isn't good or that the Macpass is a waste of money is a bit deceptive. I would guess that a much smaller portion agree with you than disagree.

temara.brown, jmbauman all say thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:04 AM   #86
Lois
Elite Member

It's a matter of personal opinion, so I think we should agree to disagree on this. Sure you end up meeting a lot of people, but whether you stay in touch with them or make any sort of meaningful connection is another story. I wouldn't spend $120 on a MacPass for Welcome Week as you can still attend most welcome week events without a MacPass.

I went to Faculty Day/Night, it wasn't really my thing. I ended up leaving early and bothering a few of my friends in ArtSci. I think SocSci had Dragonette one year, that was probably the best. The others fell short of my expectations. I'm not sure how large multimedia is, but science is gigantic and you don't end up seeing most of them again - unless they're in your specialization. I think you end up meeting more people in classes and labs.

I've consistently said that all of these statements are just my opinion so people should take everything they read with a grain of salt. I'm curious to see how many people who've said positive things about WW were previous Reps (for Maroons, Res, Faculty) or want to be reps. I'm thinking the sample you've used based on these threads are highly skewed.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:09 AM   #87
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I don't wear my t-shirts to go out but I do wear them around the house. I've washed it dozens of times already and it JUST started cracking (the plastic picture stuff) And it's really only 1 crack. The colour is still vibrant and it's only wearing away near the collar, but it's only like mini-threads sticking out, kind of like fluff. But otherwise it's still in very good condition, almost if I haven't worn the t-shirt.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:12 AM   #88
sew12
Elite Member

Just for the record I'm not a former WW rep, nor do I have any desire to be a WW rep or CA or anything like that. I just thought Welcome Week was really fun and I met lots of great people. I think it was the perfect start to University.

Multimedia is in the Faculty of Humanities so while it's a small program the faculty day/night was with all kinds of Humanities students in different programs. This was great in first year b/c you take lots of different classes before choosing your major so you'd see lots of these students in your classes. It was nice to go into a class with 300 people or however many and already have someone or multiple people to sit with, or talk to before/after class or discuss assignments with b/c I went to Fauclty day and night.

Obviously Welcome Week wasn't your idea of fun but again I personally think your opinion represents a minority and doesn't present a fair picture of Welcome Week.

As you said though agree to disagree b/c you obviously think my opinion in skewed b/c you incorrectly assumed I was a WW rep.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:14 AM   #89
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

The only thing I kind of found of annoying about welcome week was the amount of sitting around and waiting for something to happen. I remember last year before the connector thing on the football field, we stood around for almost an hour to an hour and a half just cheering... which is only fun for about 10 minutes when you've only got about 3 or 4 different cheers.

In engineering on faculty day we had to sit around and listen to that Buffalo Springfield literally 20 times on loud speaker (seriously... no exaggeration). I mean, it was funny maybe like the first 2 or 3 times, but it got lame pretty quick. I don't think I can listen to that ever again :p

That Rick Roll they did when we were on the football field was also pretty fail. Way to completely kill an otherwise semi-decent meme...

Aside from all that though, I would say it was a worth while experience. Definitely something you don't want to miss :p
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:14 AM   #90
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Those shirts have become good pjammas.