MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Having difficulty making friends ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-24-2010 06:14 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM
I want to share a room with three of my friends Rail24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-14-2009 04:46 PM
Why Can't We Be Friends, Westdale? DannyV General Discussion 9 10-09-2008 01:30 PM

Making friends?

Old 07-30-2010 at 11:07 AM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
These people are annoying and will continue to annoy you throughout University because unfortunately they aren't stupid, will do all the work and will pass and move on into upper years.
Haha, so true.
Old 07-30-2010 at 11:39 AM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I'm not sure how different engineering & life sci are, but I thought it would be difficult to become really good friends with people solely through classes/tutorials in Life Sci. Like, in chem you have the labs, so you might get some socializing done before/during labs, but that's about it. Same thing for bio--it's really only your lab partner that you will end up talking to that much. You can obviously make the effort using the conversation starters Bushra mentioned, though Getting study groups started can be a good way of getting to know people out of class, too.

Generally, the smaller the class, the easier it is to make friends. Psych was pretty good for that, because of the way the review classes/tutorials are set up. I made some lasting friends in my first-year psych classes Group projects are also good, but I don't think you get that many in first year--maybe a couple of small psych ones and the big bio 1M03 pbl (aka pb-hell...).

I'd reconsider whether or not you want to take part in WW though...I met most of my best friends during WW, including during activities I thought I had no interest in but ended up going anyways. Not all of the events require a macpass, either.

As long as you make the effort, you'll make friends Especially during the first couple of weeks, everyone is in the same boat as you--they're all worried about making friends/want to make friends, so going up to people and introducing yourself is generally a good way of meeting people.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:11 PM   #18
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I'd also heavily recommend getting involved with SOCS (Society of Off Campus Students). A membership is only $5 during Welcome Week (the price goes up afterword), and even if you later decide that its not your cup of tea, you still get awesome discounts at places all around Hamilton
Where do you get memberships anyways during welcome week? >_>
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:22 PM   #19
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I'm not really interested in attending welcome week cause I don't see any of the events that to me would justify spending that much. I don't live in res, so I already feel a bit behind when it comes to opportunities for socializing.
To be fair, I don't remember basically anyone I met via welcome week events. The people I do remember either lived in my Res or were introduced to me via other friends outside of events.

Then again, I'm not exactly the social type. To be honest I'm probably the last person to give advice on making friends here, but if you wanna bear with me... >___>

Tutorials that have group assignments are usually a really easy way to meet friends (assuming you can actually get along with said group). And yeah, few people are actually gonna know each other in those tutorials, so just be like "hey do you wanna be partners?" and that's about it.

Macinsiders held a few get-togethers. You can meet some of the names behind the usernames if they hold more this year (You guys *are* going to be holding more this year, right?). Hell last year we had an all-you-can-eat pizza thing at Boston Pizza (you guys *are* going to be doing that again, right?).

Unless the idea of meeting people you met over the internet seems odd to you. Frankly I got used to it after a DC++ meet first year and a couple of Macinsiders meets. It was weird at first until you remember everyone goes to mac and is roughly the same age as you (except Reeves) =/

Last edited by JEFF_CHAN : 07-30-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:23 PM   #20
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I paid for mine with my MacPass last year. I distinctly remember somebody sticking a SOCS sticker onto my student card. I have no idea who it was.
Do we get res stickers? I would absolutely love one of those

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-30-2010 at 01:37 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I paid for mine with my MacPass last year. I distinctly remember somebody sticking a SOCS sticker onto my student card. I have no idea who it was.
Do we get res stickers? I would absolutely love one of those
Unless they've changed things, there are no res stickers...although that would be quite awesome
Old 07-30-2010 at 02:52 PM   #22
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Where do you get memberships anyways during welcome week? >_>
This year its a bit different, since you no longer get a SOCS membership with your MacPass. But its now a lot cheaper to get a membership for everyone, including upper years. I'm not 100% on where we'll be selling them, but chances are there will be someone in the SOCS office selling them, as well as possibly other places.

I just sent a message asking about that though, I'll post the answer as soon as I get it. :p
Old 07-30-2010 at 03:00 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

For labs and such, 99% of the class doesnt know each other. Just go up to someone and make friends, and you'll be fine
Old 07-30-2010 at 05:29 PM   #24
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Honestly I've met all of my closest friends at mac through my labs and tutorials! I always make an effort to get to know the people im working with because it makes tutorials / labs/ projects more enjoyable. So don't even worry about not going to welcome week n all that. IMO, mac is such a friendly campus, u could start a conversation with practically anyone. You'll probably even meet people while commuting if you bus! I actually met my bf now at the go bus stop because he was with a friend I knew .It kind of happens when you least expect it too. The less you stress/worry about it, the more relaxed you'll be when you start to meet people.
Old 07-30-2010 at 06:01 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
Honestly I've met all of my closest friends at mac through my labs and tutorials! I always make an effort to get to know the people im working with because it makes tutorials / labs/ projects more enjoyable. So don't even worry about not going to welcome week n all that. IMO, mac is such a friendly campus, u could start a conversation with practically anyone. You'll probably even meet people while commuting if you bus! I actually met my bf now at the go bus stop because he was with a friend I knew .It kind of happens when you least expect it too. The less you stress/worry about it, the more relaxed you'll be when you start to meet people.
ALL your CLOSEST friends?!?!?!?! WHAT IS THIS!!! *jumps off a bridge* Lol

But in all seriousness, tutorials and labs are the best places to get to know people because you are working with them every week (or every other week) at the very least. You can even meet them in class, although that could be hard in a class of 600 students. Even if you don't see them in class, don't just sit down and stare at the slides. Start discussions, I think it's important to develop communication skills. I should know because I'm horrible at them, it can be hard at first but you'll improve with practice.
Old 07-30-2010 at 08:04 PM   #26
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quite frankly, it's all up to you. If you make that effort to meet people, you won't have a problem at all. I came to Mac not knowing anyone (my friends all went to Western and I decided not to go there). By getting involved and just approaching people, I ended up making a lot of friends. So yeah, try to get involved with societies and groups on campus. Maroons and SOCS are two excellent groups on campus you can get involved with and meet lots of people through them. I met a lot of my friends during my second year from the Maroons. There are also many other opportunities to get involved on campus and meet people. Like others said, talk to people in your lectures, tutorials and labs. I met a lot of people in my first year that way, especially during the first week of classes.

Last edited by Nino : 07-30-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 at 08:04 PM   #27
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

aww haha okay let me correct myself: HALF of my closest friends were met through tutorials and labs.. and half were met through my bf ;D
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:18 PM   #28
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Thank you all for the advice I definetly feel more confident now so I'll try to remember this all when I get psyched out in the coming weeks lol. super glad I found macinsiders
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:24 PM   #29
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Thank you all for the advice I definetly feel more confident now so I'll try to remember this all when I get psyched out in the coming weeks lol. super glad I found macinsiders
We're super glad we found you.

We didn't, you say?

But didn't we?

(I just watched Inception)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-30-2010 at 10:41 PM   #30
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

I'd say the forced/planned friend-meeting events are not the best place to make friends - in frosh week, you'll hang out with tonnes of people, think you've met your next group of best friends, and then realize that most of them are people you will A) never see again 2) never want to talk to outside of a party situation. Really, if you have to work at and plan a friendship, it's probably not gonna work out!

But that's just my opinion - I like being able to make friends with people when I can understand and hear what they're saying. And they've gotta have a sense of humor, too.