MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

How many off campusers this year? :D

Old 07-24-2009 at 04:24 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Cockroaches ARE pests. They eat your food, they leave droppings everywhere, they leave a bad stink, and they are vectors for dangerous microbes.
They mostly eat crumbs and food that has been left out (basically meaning you are done with eating it). Basically they are cleaning up after you.

Also, what kind of microbes do they carry? Sources please.
Old 07-24-2009 at 04:31 PM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They mostly eat crumbs and food that has been left out (basically meaning you are done with eating it). Basically they are cleaning up after you.

Also, what kind of microbes do they carry? Sources please.
  1. C. Rivault, A. Cloarec and A. Le Guyader (1993) Bacterial Load of Cockroaches in Relation to Urban Environment. Epidemiology and Infection, 110(2):317-325
  2. Elgderi RM, Ghenghesh KS, Berbash N. (2006) Carriage by the German cockroach (Blattella germanica) of multiple-antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are potentially pathogenic to humans, in hospitals and households in Tripoli, Libya. Ann Trop Med Parasitol., 100(1):55-62.
They carry Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and coliforms as well as species of fungi.

Salmonella has been shown to live in cockroach feces for up to three years.

And they don't just eat little crumbs, they will get right into your food if they have to.
Old 07-24-2009 at 04:33 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:

And they don't just eat little crumbs, they will get right into your food if they have to.
If you let them, you mean?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-24-2009 at 04:41 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
  1. C. Rivault, A. Cloarec and A. Le Guyader (1993) Bacterial Load of Cockroaches in Relation to Urban Environment. Epidemiology and Infection, 110(2):317-325
  2. Elgderi RM, Ghenghesh KS, Berbash N. (2006) Carriage by the German cockroach (Blattella germanica) of multiple-antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are potentially pathogenic to humans, in hospitals and households in Tripoli, Libya. Ann Trop Med Parasitol., 100(1):55-62.
They carry Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and coliforms as well as species of fungi.

Salmonella has been shown to live in cockroach feces for up to three years.

Oh damn, that's pretty bad bacteria...

They can only get into things like cereal boxes and things of the same material though. Other than that and leaving food outside, I doubt they can get into much else.
Old 07-24-2009 at 05:04 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Cockroaches are usually a sign of bad .. I want to say hygiene, but generally taking care of your place. My mother flips her lid whenever roaches come around, because it means the people upstairs are being sorta nasty. I hate bugs and insects and I have a serious fear of them so getting into cereal boxes or not, they gots to go.
Old 07-24-2009 at 05:13 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I hate bugs and insects and I have a serious fear of them so getting into cereal boxes or not, they gots to go.
I don't want to be the guy that keeps telling people that most insects/bugs/whatever are harmless and often beneficial, but most insects/bugs/whatever are harmless and often beneficial.
Old 07-24-2009 at 05:19 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
I don't want to be the guy that keeps telling people that most insects/bugs/whatever are harmless and often beneficial, but most insects/bugs/whatever are harmless and often beneficial.
Part of me knows this, and I understand but I just have a huge fear of them. I'll tell you a really gross story though. So you know how there's the garbage strike in Toronto right now. Well, it seems like, our neighbours upstairs had finally gotten the nerve to take out their garbage - but when they were coming down the stairs, it seems like they had dropped it and we got nice little maggot friends to visit us.

It was really and truly disgusting. I had never seen a maggot before in my life, and even though they are harmless I really couldn't stand them. A few minutes after staying the hell away from the front door and the livingroom where they were, I went to take a shower to calm down. I took off my shirt, and looked at my shoulder where I had placed a forgotten about band-aid there the night before. I thought it was a maggot of course. I screamed the place down, like, ultimate horror movie scream. I'd never screamed like that in my life.

I tried to get it off, brushing it off, but it wouldn't come off. My mom came in, just when I realized it was the bandaid so I rolled into a ball and started to cry a little. I couldn't stop shaking like a leaf for a while afterwards, constantly checking my body.

So let this be a lesson. Don't leave your garbage so long that there are... interesting visitors to it in your apartment. No one in their right mind would anyway. Always keep your apartment/place really clean.

Edit: I'm getting really itchy just thinking about it.
Old 07-24-2009 at 05:36 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I've heard that Cockroaches will go as far as eating the plastic off of wiring if they can't find anything delicious.

On the bright side, potato bugs are actually crabs, and therefore, in my opinion, pretty cool guys. I doubt they carry any vectors or matrices like cockroaches do.
Old 07-24-2009 at 05:37 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
It was really and truly disgusting. I had never seen a maggot before in my life, and even though they are harmless I really couldn't stand them.
A wood grub is like a giant maggot. Epic disgusting.
Old 07-24-2009 at 07:35 PM   #25
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Moving into the West Village condos, about a 10 min walk from campus, but ill probably bike. Moving in with four other friends, really nice place but kinda on the pricey side.
Old 07-24-2009 at 07:57 PM   #26
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I got a two bedroom place downtown, it's kind of far, but if you saw this place you'd know why it's worth the commute. It feels more like home than my home in Orangeville.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 07-24-2009 at 08:37 PM   #27
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Sounds like where I'm living, lol (basement too). Only difference is that I'm in a room next to a weird Slovakian guy that I don't really know, who apparently rages at everything and looks just like the angry German kid from youtube.
Angry German Kid - I love those videos.

Which is your favourite?
Old 07-24-2009 at 08:38 PM   #28
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I got a two bedroom place downtown, it's kind of far, but if you saw this place you'd know why it's worth the commute. It feels more like home than my home in Orangeville.
Downtown is awesome. I love the Farmer's Market and Locke Street. Plus, you can get a seat on the bus.
Old 07-24-2009 at 08:59 PM   #29
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

There is nothing any of you can say or do that will make me even vaguely like cockroaches. YUCK!

I'd probably move out if we ever got a bug infestation....
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:01 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Cockroaches are usually a sign of bad .. I want to say hygiene, but generally taking care of your place. My mother flips her lid whenever roaches come around, because it means the people upstairs are being sorta nasty. I hate bugs and insects and I have a serious fear of them so getting into cereal boxes or not, they gots to go.
It is bad hygiene, basically it means you aren't cleaning up after yourself.

I don't hate insects or bugs, but if they are in my food then I seriously have a problem.