MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

How many off campusers this year? :D

Old 07-26-2009 at 02:05 PM   #61
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I thought some centipedes are poisonous, obviously not the ones in houses. I also heard that the bite of a centipede really hurts :\

Instead of lysoling everything, doesn't warm/hot soapy water clean enough for counters?
I think centipede bites are only really dangerous to small children and people with allergies to bee stings. I heard that large centipedes can cause anaphylactic shock in people with allergies to bee stings. Not sure if it is true....

But anyways, I'm living off campus as well!!
Old 07-26-2009 at 10:21 PM   #62
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I think centipede bites are only really dangerous to small children and people with allergies to bee stings. I heard that large centipedes can cause anaphylactic shock in people with allergies to bee stings. Not sure if it is true....

But anyways, I'm living off campus as well!!
Lol, you so got that off wikipedia. I'm just asking because I remember hearing on the discovery channel that some species are poisonous, but it was such a long time ago I'm not sure if I'm recalling correctly.
Old 07-26-2009 at 10:52 PM   #63
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

living in off-campus again in west village suites
i've heard of a few bug problems in the suites too but luckily last year we never had any

Old 07-26-2009 at 11:18 PM   #64
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, you so got that off wikipedia. I'm just asking because I remember hearing on the discovery channel that some species are poisonous, but it was such a long time ago I'm not sure if I'm recalling correctly.
haha I totally did. I didnt know what centipedes are so I googled it and wikipedia was the first site

I dont trust wikipedia though and anaphylactic shock seems pretty severe so I still dont know if it is true.
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:10 AM   #65
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Overuse of Lysol is dangerous for another reason. While it does disinfect, the bottle I have at home warns against using it near food or waiting until it dries and wiping the surface down with water.
Lysol sheets are also sopping wet with funky smelling stuff and they're incredibly expensive.
An alternative is to use your own cutting board and wash all utensils before use
If I shared a house, I'd definitely have my own mini fridge.
I like sharing and I'm more than happy to split with a fellow muncher, but I'd give an arm and a leg for my own strawberries.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:08 AM   #66
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Speaking of Fridges

We have the large fridge that came with the house, but also 2 mini fridges...

The freezer with the large fridge doesn't keep stuff cold enough... Actually things tend to expire faster in that fridge for unknown reasons ._.

So basically the alternative is to use the teeny tiny "freezers" that come with the mini fridges...

Which is fine during summer school, as right now only 3 people live at the house and 2 don't stay more than 3 days a week.

Once the other 2 move in then... uh oh =/
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:09 AM   #67
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Oh my god. Yeah. I hate small fridges, they annoy the hell out of me. My roomate and I had a really great time, trying to fit our food in after a grocery run. :/
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:16 AM   #68
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

LOL, now that I think about it, once I get to staying at the house longer (I only leave weekends now cuz of summer school), I'm going to need more food, which means more fridge space... :S
Old 07-27-2009 at 09:16 AM   #69
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

I've always been off-campus. I still havn't found a place this year! I don't wanna get stuck in another party house this time, so i'm looking for a nice quiet bachelor, or private apartment. Quite hard to find.
Old 07-27-2009 at 09:33 AM   #70
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Also going to be living off campus this year on Royal Ave. Found a house with a few friends.

Old 07-27-2009 at 12:54 PM   #71
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa-88 View Post
I've always been off-campus. I still havn't found a place this year! I don't wanna get stuck in another party house this time, so i'm looking for a nice quiet bachelor, or private apartment. Quite hard to find.
Try the Main & Whitney area. Lol, I've been talking about that area a lot but I really like it. It's cheaper than Westdale.

I was at a bachelor apt downtown last year, with this shady landlord (Gus Takis) so don't rent with him, he's a total slumlord haha.
Old 07-27-2009 at 08:55 PM   #72
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'd never live on campus again.
Old 07-27-2009 at 09:31 PM   #73
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Try the Main & Whitney area. Lol, I've been talking about that area a lot but I really like it. It's cheaper than Westdale.

I was at a bachelor apt downtown last year, with this shady landlord (Gus Takis) so don't rent with him, he's a total slumlord haha.
The one on John, right? I've never met him but he sounded nice on the phone!
Old 07-27-2009 at 09:36 PM   #74
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
The one on John, right? I've never met him but he sounded nice on the phone!
LOL. That's where I lived. He seems nice and all... but, there's something off about him. His rent is honestly overpriced, and the apartment building is always not so clean. He does have a cleaner who came like twice during the year, and I suppose that's fair enough. The walls in my apartment were like... weird angled, so I couldn't fit anything flush against the wall. There was like, a vent on the door that was covered with cardboard. My guess is, the apartment used to be an office converted into a bach pad.

On the plus side, the shower was nice, a stall-like thing (water was always super hot - although, there were a few occasions where the hot water didn't work at all, or the water was gone completely) and there were hardly any buggies.

The area sucks though, there's a Tim Hortons up the street where ... interesting people hang around all the time, and while it's right in front of the GO station, there's not much appeal in that area - except for restaurants.
Old 07-27-2009 at 10:01 PM   #75
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

I've seen his ads around here & there.

There are a lot of shady landlords. Last year I rented a basement, but it was with two others. The landlord would just walk-in the basement at random times, it was pretty annoying, and creepy at the same time lol!

One time, I guess he thought I was at school, but that day I chose to stay home since I was feeling under the weather, so I had slept in really late. All of a sudden I hear him attempting to open my door, assuming it was unlocked. I was PISSED off to say the least. Thank God for bedroom door locks.