Mills Library Online Myaccount General Discussion 3 09-18-2009 11:26 AM
Mills Learning Commons sarahsweet Academics 23 12-14-2006 05:56 PM

Mills

Old 04-14-2010 at 11:40 PM   #46
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
I <3 mills 2nd floor! And whoever goes there to study are crazy.. coz its impossible, its like a lounge where people just hang out between classes and what not.. I thought everyone knew that!!
It says you are from moscow so I guess your used to libraries studying you! lolamejoke

But your somewhat attractive so Im willing to listen to what you say
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:47 PM   #47
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

WOW! KIDS! EXPLORE A LITTLE!!!

There is much more to Mills than the second floor. Print off the lecture slides you need, grab your books, buy some of those fancy earplugs they sell in the vending machines by the printers and head up to the 4th, 5th or 6th floors. There are special rooms where everyone is quiet so studying can occur. If someone is loud, you can ask them to leave.

If you are desperate enough to study on campus, get creative. The Math Cafe after it closes, one of those sparsely populated seminar rooms in GSB, any tutorial room in the basement of KTH or UH.

But, please...stop trashing the Mills 2nd crowd. They are the shiz.
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:56 PM   #48
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I'm sorry I don't get your joke..

...and calling someone "somewhat-attractive" isn't nice either.
Anyway, Innis is the shit. Or commerce lounge, lots of hotties there for you... but whatevs, I have last exam tomorrow and then I graduate !wohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
It says you are from moscow so I guess your used to libraries studying you! lolamejoke

But your somewhat attractive so Im willing to listen to what you say
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:56 PM   #49
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

That little L-shaped desk just off the main learning commons = win, especially late at night after the rest of the library closes.

I've given up on all the libraries during exam periods. I have my spots in ETB and IAHS.
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:57 PM   #50
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't get your joke..

...and calling someone "somewhat-attractive" isn't nice either.
Anyway, Innis is the shit. Or commerce lounge, lots of hotties there for you... but whatevs, I have last exam tomorrow and then I graduate !wohoo
Yeah, I thought that was kind of strange too haha.
Congratulations!
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:59 PM   #51
Katia
Account Disabled by User

One of the most random places I've studied is in one of those tubes that connects MDCL to the hospital.. Or on one of the floors of KTH, like 6th floor on those desks by the elevator (at night).

And yes 2nd floor peeps are the shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
WOW! KIDS! EXPLORE A LITTLE!!!

There is much more to Mills than the second floor. Print off the lecture slides you need, grab your books, buy some of those fancy earplugs they sell in the vending machines by the printers and head up to the 4th, 5th or 6th floors. There are special rooms where everyone is quiet so studying can occur. If someone is loud, you can ask them to leave.

If you are desperate enough to study on campus, get creative. The Math Cafe after it closes, one of those sparsely populated seminar rooms in GSB, any tutorial room in the basement of KTH or UH.

But, please...stop trashing the Mills 2nd crowd. They are the shiz.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:00 AM   #52
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Well its hard to judge from a couple of pictures, but now that I know you dont have a sense of humor my mind is made up.

You dont know the joke.... In soviet russia car drives you!
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:02 AM   #53
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Haha no I don't.. doesn't sound like a russian joke though
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:06 AM   #54
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
pretty sure it's authoritah
Fixed it.

began likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:13 AM   #55
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Haha no I don't.. doesn't sound like a russian joke though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff

creen likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:22 AM   #56
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Man, I can feel the stress just radiating off the walls of MI lately.
Some of you guys are more worked up then when the KGP thread was on here.

Mills Learning Commons is not designed to be quiet, in fact, the few moments I was in there the other day I found the random spurts of silence to be the truly distracting moments.
Computers can be find outside the learning commons (perhaps not as new in terms of hardware but usable and (should be) quiet)

I am definitely one of those people who essentially live in mills normally, I have moved residence to 3 potential places: 1) HSC to actually study, 2) Home to study, bake, or sleep, 3) outside for an intense number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with studying.

One of the things to be noted of the "douches" found in mills, is that a bit of a community has developed there through the year. I personally always have someone from my classes across the room I can go to to ask questions. My friends are there and I can work with them or get distracted with them, or ignore them entirely and actually get some work done. The atmosphere (during the year) is generally not constructive for people going in to study on their own, but it is incredibly constructive for collaboration and general help being available at any hour. The only problem is, it takes time to build that community.
Anyways, I should just go to bed. Good luck with that silence thing, didn't seem to look too promising the other day.

sniderj likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:40 AM   #57
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

Try the BSB Computer Labs, second floor - Theyr very quiet, and there's 3 of them available.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:49 AM   #58
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
sooooo last week

and just a reminder to people, using slanderous hateful terms against a group of people while on campus can get you expelled. I cant even count the amount of times I have been in mills to hear a group of guys coming in from a fresh smoke drop F-bombs about every assignment, test, professor, fellow student they can think of, and I am not talking about the traditional "most versatile word in the English language" f-bomb, I mean the gay bashing F-bomb. Sure, I know we have a lot of international students, some I personally know come from countries where homosexual acts are punishable by death, but you cant say that shit on campus. Hold whatever opinions you want, but keep the hate-mongering to a minimum in public.
Have you tried to address this sort of behaviour (using hateful language, 'hate-mongering')? There is NO place for it, particularly on campus. Sometimes people may not realize how their poor choice of words can affect others. They are not necessarily bad people - they just need to become more aware of their actions.
Old 04-15-2010 at 01:40 AM   #59
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

But I think it's been well established that Mills Learning Commons is a place people go to hang out over studying. If you really want to study and need a computer, there are many places on campus with computers that really aren't that full at all.

Going to Mills and complaining about the situation there is kind of like going into a half empty bus and complaining that people aren't moving to the back (and you aren't disabled in any way).
Old 04-15-2010 at 02:23 AM   #60
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

1) nowhere else is open after 12, only mills
2) most other computer labs have old outdated computers with really old drivers and old versions of programs. Some of my professors use new pdf compilers that cant be read without the latest versions of software. Now the macs in mills can handle it, but the other computers cant. And you cant update shit without admin passwords. Trust me, I am not a baby, I have tried every other ways of going about this, but mills ends up being the best bet.
3) someone said printing out notes, when there are a few hundred pages of notes plus readings and extra crap, plus me being poor, printing everything out isnt an option.

mills is a library, the learning commons is for academic work. People don't discuss group work, they talk about inappropriate shit when I have homework to do and no computer to work on. During exams it is horrible, I have to resort to waiting until 3AM before I can get a computer I can start doing work on.

I have the right to complain about this shit. I am one of the few people who do, most other people have alternatives.