MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMO ABM on Campus? valconrj General Discussion 9 02-01-2011 12:01 AM
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Mormons on Campus

Old 02-03-2011 at 06:15 PM   #16
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Personally I'm not sure who your referring to. I've seen the Christ for Mac people but they've never bothered me in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
don't worry, i hate christians too. like when campus for christ people try to preach jesus to you...that sh*t should be banned from campus
Just to remind everyone that their is a divinity college on campus, and mac was founded as a religious (Baptist) University. The only reason the University stopped being a Baptist institution was to get government funding, but it still has a well known the religious studies program.

In an unrelated note, 'Big Love' is an awesome show!

Last edited by collinbf : 02-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:22 PM   #17
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
Just to remind everyone that their is a divinity college on campus, and mac was founded as a religious (Baptist) University. The only reason the University stopped being a Baptist institution was to get government funding, but it still has a well known the religious studies program.
FACT 1: McMaster was established in 1887.
FACT 2: There is no such thing as a well known religious studies program.
FACT 3: Any of Mac's science programs completely overshadows its religious studies program.

Things change, get used to it.

amigojoe, IbrahimH like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:26 PM   #18
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
FACT 3: Any of Mac's science programs completely overshadows its religious studies program.

I am well aware of that, I'm just saying you can't be surprised that you find more Christian groups preaching at Mac then you would at other Universities, as we have a divinity college.

Anyways I'm Jewish so I really don't care either way.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:29 PM   #19
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Redorkulated, I'll try to say this as nicely as possible... you're being overly prejudiced in this topic (or just a cleverly disguised troll) and it kind of bothers me that you took being annoyed that far...

If you want to get rid of them, just tell them you're part of a satanist cult that cannibalizes Mormon preachers.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:34 PM   #20
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
... I don't think they are from a university club or associated with Mac at all. They are just random guys from a church.
I hadn't thought of that. Every time I hear someone talk about being approached by one, they never actually know what group the person was with.

Last edited by alh24 : 02-03-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:38 PM   #21
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

The guy approached me as I was walking down King... Lawl, this was a few months back though.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:39 PM   #22
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Redorkulated, I'll try to say this as nicely as possible... you're being overly prejudiced in this topic (or just a cleverly disguised troll) and it kind of bothers me that you took being annoyed that far...

If you want to get rid of them, just tell them you're part of a satanist cult that cannibalizes Mormon preachers.
i'm not quite sure how i'm being "overly prejudiced" about this, maybe it has to happen to you for you to get how annoying it is. however, i will definitely say that the next time he talks to me lol.
Old 02-03-2011 at 07:00 PM   #23
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:

What rubbish. Of course, to the general public, Mac's science programs may overshadow its religious study program - that hardly implies that its religious studies program isn't well-known. Typically, the context of 'well-known' is within the field of interest, not the general public

I mean, the general public probably thinks that the point of a career as a mathematician is to solve really complicated calculus problems and solve codes before going insane - it was in a film, after all.

Old 02-03-2011 at 07:23 PM   #24
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
What rubbish. Of course, to the general public, Mac's science programs may overshadow its religious study program - that hardly implies that its religious studies program isn't well-known. Typically, the context of 'well-known' is within the field of interest, not the general public

I mean, the general public probably thinks that the point of a career as a mathematician is to solve really complicated calculus problems and solve codes before going insane - it was in a film, after all.
Okay fine, so it's well-known to a group of people who study religion. But, the fact that science overshadows religious programs even to the general public shows how times are changing, that was the point of that post.
Old 02-03-2011 at 08:03 PM   #25
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i read Morons on campus -_-
Old 02-03-2011 at 08:59 PM   #26
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Okay fine, so it's well-known to a group of people who study religion. But, the fact that science overshadows religious programs even to the general public shows how times are changing, that was the point of that post.
I hope you realise that religious studies is not a 'religious program'. Graduating with a religious studies degree doesn't make you a priest (and vice-versa). I understand that you may have issues with religion, but you have issues with the academic study of religion too?

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:05 PM   #27
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well, I would say it's fair for people of all "religions" including a lack thereof to express their views, or it's not fair for anyone.

So alh24, you make a good point - I could see people getting upset, if right outside of the church someone 'preached' (for lack of a better word) how religion is stupid and doesn't really make sense, etc etc. However, if that's the case, these mormons (and any other groups for that matter) shouldn't be allowed to preach their stuff either.

However, I really don't see it being a problem. Just ignore it. I mean, you've grown up with commercials telling you what to buy/wear/think/do/eat, but you don't seem upset with that, even when they permeate your TV and movies and you can't get rid of them. So if you can withstand commercials without falling into their trap, I'm sure you can ignore/avoid/laugh at this guy, whether or not him being there is 'fair' or 'allowed'.

alh24 says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:08 PM   #28
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I hope you realise that religious studies is not a 'religious program'. Graduating with a religious studies degree doesn't make you a priest (and vice-versa). I understand that you may have issues with religion, but you have issues with the academic study of religion too?
I'm somewhat confused... What on earth would you do with a degree in religious studies, other than pursue a career in a religion (priest, rabbi, etc.)?

And it's not just religion people have a problem with. Noone likes being told what they should believe, religious or not. I'm sure people were really pissed off when people tried to tell them that the world was not, in fact, flat or that the earth rotated around the sun.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 02-03-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:11 PM   #29
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I'm somewhat confused... What on earth would you do with a degree in religious studies, other than pursue a career in a religion (priest, rabbi, etc.)?

Teach religion based courses, either at a secondary/ post secondary level.

If people want to join the church full time, they apply to Divinity College, to be formally trained.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:16 PM   #30
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

this thread makes me wanna eat cookies...
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences