MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMO ABM on Campus? valconrj General Discussion 9 02-01-2011 12:01 AM
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Mormons on Campus

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:20 PM   #31
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I hope you realise that religious studies is not a 'religious program'. Graduating with a religious studies degree doesn't make you a priest (and vice-versa). I understand that you may have issues with religion, but you have issues with the academic study of religion too?
I'm not sure where in my post you got that idea, but my guess is that you're religious so you see what you want don't you?
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:21 PM   #32
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I've seen the two described individuals all over Hamilton and on HSR as well. But I'm surprised they've come onto campus, I don't know at the top of my head but I am somewhat sure there is campus law against solicitation, though whether religious groups count under that is a controversial argument.

However the people you describe are actually Jehovah's Witnesses(White shirt, dark pants and blue badge?) and a strong part of their faith is Evangelism where after graduating from a certain religious school they are supposed to spend two years completing this phase of going door to door and so on.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:27 PM   #33
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
I'm not sure where in my post you got that idea, but my guess is that you're religious so you see what you want don't you?
I'm not religious in the slightest, actually. It's all senseless ritual to me, but then, one outside the mathematical paradigm can just as easily call mathematics a senseless ritual as well. It's unfortunate that you go for the "oh, someone disagreed with my irrational bashing of religion - they must be religious" rationale...

Now, as for 'seeing what one wants', I don't think that's restricted to the religious.

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:33 PM   #34
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I'm somewhat confused... What on earth would you do with a degree in religious studies, other than pursue a career in a religion (priest, rabbi, etc.)?
"I'm somewhat confused... What on earth would you do with a degree in History/English/Art History/Political Science"

It's the same thing that can be said for a lot of subjects. There's obviously not a whole lot of jobs directly in the field compared to the number of people with a degree in it.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:00 PM   #35
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I'm somewhat confused... What on earth would you do with a degree in religious studies, other than pursue a career in a religion (priest, rabbi, etc.)?
Personally, I plan on working in social programs for at-risk children/youth. Having a degree in religious studies has taught me a lot about a person's world view, culture, and how their beliefs can manifest in their everyday life. I also have a degree in sociology. I was going to go into social work, but I liked my profs for sociology and religious studies more.

Also, I definitely do not want to pursue a career in religion, and neither does most of the people in my program. A large amount of religious studies students are agnostic or atheist.

collinbf says thanks to AlienSummer for this post.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:02 PM   #36
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

If McMaster is a multi cultural place then everyone should keep their religion to themselves. Irregardless, if they approached me nicely or in an abusive way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Bye Bye freedom of speech. If you ain't an atheist then you better not open your mouth about your beliefs...
Freedom of speech does not include rubbing religion in my self, and atheists don't really go around telling people about lack of religion, and if they do they are wrong. There is no such thing as freedom of speech when it comes to religion, everyone gets offended by the other's ideas and understand of religion.

I hate how when I am walking through the student center I sometimes see the Muslim student association telling people how "peaceful" their religion is when their countries are ****ed up, or the Campus for christ or whatnot or even the club that says "Don't believe in god, so do we!". Keep it to yourself people ...

I am not saying that religion is wrong, or anything like that. I am just saying. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

[img]http://avianbonesyndrome.com /wp-content/uploads/2010/09/religion-is-like-a-*****.jpg[/img]

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:03 PM   #37
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm not religious in the slightest, actually. It's all senseless ritual to me, but then, one outside the mathematical paradigm can just as easily call mathematics a senseless ritual as well. It's unfortunate that you go for the "oh, someone disagreed with my irrational bashing of religion - they must be religious" rationale...

Now, as for 'seeing what one wants', I don't think that's restricted to the religious.
What you just said is that only people who are religious or those who study religion find purpose in religion (duh). So nobody is allowed to argue with their belief system because they can't POSSIBLY understand it? You seem to be more religious than you think you are. Also, there is no such thing as irrational bashing of religion.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:14 PM   #38
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
I mean, the general public probably thinks that the point of a career as a mathematician is to solve really complicated calculus problems and solve codes before going insane - it was in a film, after all.
You mean that's not what you guys do?

xxsumz says thanks to KYLB0T for this post.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:21 PM   #39
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
What you just said is that only people who are religious or those who study religion find purpose in religion (duh).
Uh, no, that's not what I said at all, although it may well be true.

Quote:
So nobody is allowed to argue with their belief system because they can't POSSIBLY understand it? You seem to be more religious than you think you are.
First, let's assume that you pulled your first sentence out validly from my post. Assuming that, the second sentence still doesn't follow. Assume I think that nobody should be arguing with believers in flying cows because flying cows aren't sense-perceptible (an improvement, I think, on 'understandable'). That doesn't imply in the slightest that I hold even a shred of belief in flying cows, does it?

However, your first sentence wasn't even pulled out validly from my post, so even that refutation gives your argument too much credit. I never mentioned anything about not being able to argue - I do maintain that the religious question is senseless (not necessarily in a bad way, just that it's not answerable through sense-perception which is all we have), however. I didn't pull out the "you disagree with me therefore you're religious" argument, so I don't know why you'd think that I don't want to argue on religious belief...

Quote:
Also, there is no such thing as irrational bashing of religion.
Yes, there is. If your arguments aren't logically valid and mainly just vitriol, I'd think it qualifies as 'irrational bashing'. That goes for religion just as it goes for hamburgers.

Kayli likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:30 PM   #40
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Uh, no, that's not what I said at all, although it may well be true.

\
It must be hard being you if you can't even see what your own argument implies.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:36 PM   #41
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
It must be hard being you if you can't even see what your own argument implies.
I understand why you're constructing implications that aren't actually there - I suppose that if you're in a logical system where "religious questions are senseless" implies "I am religious", anything can follow from anything else.
See, I'm in pure mathematics; we don't construct 'implications' quite as easily as you do.

Last edited by Mahratta : 02-03-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:37 PM   #42
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
I understand why you're constructing implications that aren't actually there - I suppose that if you're in a logical system where "religious questions are senseless" implies "I am religious", anything can follow from anything else.
See, I'm in pure mathematics; we don't construct 'implications' quite as easily as you do.
OH SNAP! Or at least, I think so....
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:37 PM   #43
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

This guy tried to recruit me twice last term. First when I was going to Gino's and the second time, he approached me and followed me as I walked to MDCL.
When I told him that I was already a part of a religion, he tried convincing me to leave mine for his.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:41 PM   #44
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Honestly....dont ask

AdelaisAer, L'Étoile like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:42 PM   #45
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech3 View Post
This guy tried to recruit me twice last term. First when I was going to Gino's and the second time, he approached me and followed me as I walked to MDCL.
When I told him that I was already a part of a religion, he tried convincing me to leave mine for his.

That's over the top.

Still, for others out there who harbour negative feelings towards this guy, understand that he's not an accurate representation of everyone who shares his faith. People have approached me (not near mac, just in general), but they're rather polite about it.