MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would it be difficult to learn this song? ZSimon Music 1 09-21-2011 08:43 PM
Difficult finding a job in hamilton around the school? aw07 General Discussion 11 06-25-2011 10:35 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
How difficult is it to transfer programs? rexelle Academics 6 05-30-2010 06:48 PM

Most difficult course you've taken at Mac

Old 12-09-2011 at 10:50 PM   #1
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Most difficult course you've taken at Mac
What is the most difficult course you've ever taken at Mac?

Just curious...

Mine were definitely the 2 second year organic chemistry courses.
Old 12-09-2011 at 11:07 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples12 View Post
What is the most difficult course you've ever taken at Mac?

Just curious...

Mine were definitely the 2 second year organic chemistry courses.
Testing wise - Orgo, more the 2nd one.

Content wise - Biochem 4E03. They didn't test too hard but you still had to know a pretty large amount of detail and it doesn't help that everything has multiple functions, is interconnected, and there are a ton of transcription factors, and modulators, and surface markers. But still probably the most interesting course I've taken.

Time wise - My Thesis. I've never spent so many hours for a single course. The lab work, the research, the writing, it never ends.
Old 12-09-2011 at 11:56 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Math 3I03 for Mechanical and Materials engineering!!! It was crazy D: Pretty much all partial differentials.

EDIT: but at least I didn't have any deadbeat group members bringing me down any further than I was!!
EDIT EDIT: and the prof. wasn't terrifying Dmitri Malakhov
Old 12-10-2011 at 01:08 AM   #4
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

2CI5, marking scheme is ridiculous.

Fawad2010, MacPack, Shabi7 like this.
Old 12-10-2011 at 01:47 AM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

So many to choose from...!

Materials 3C04: Thermo's not an easy subject, but until this course I've been able to do decently well even if it took a while to grasp some of the concepts. This course was only a little more difficult than usual, but made extremely frustrating in the difficult problem sets that were rarely made easier by the lecture notes, middle-school like lecturing ("I'm gonna put some handwritten notes on an overhead, then give you some time to copy them down, then very quietly try to explain what's going on"), unhelpful TAs, labs that were run out out of order (e.g. our first lab covered material near the end of the course), and just poor organization of the course in general. Myself, among many others, are in Round 2 vs. this guy right now.

Math 3I03: The course outline might as well say "Hey, you guys remember the most difficult parts of second year Eng Math? Here's a whole course on it!" I was able to pass however, because I had one of the best profs I've ever had: Dr. Bernardo Galvao-Sousa. He walked into and taught every class with a smile and had a delightful accent. His positive attitude was contagious to the point where instead of wanting to gouge my brain out a dental pick after every lecture, I instead wanted to learn more and almost looked forward to the next one. I remember him walking around as we wrote our exams and even though I was still being violated as I desperately tried to recall some of what the course taught me, couldn't help but smile as I saw his possibly-sadistic grin as he watched everyone fail.

Materials 3T04: While the course was brutal and I literally learned next to nothing from it, failing was never an issue, as the majority of my classmates were in the same boat. Here's the histogram of exam marks (worth 50%) Dr. Malakhov conveniently provided:

It looks eerily similar to a hand giving the finger (that one person that got 75-80 is the thumb!)

Old 12-10-2011 at 08:16 AM   #6
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Everything so far has been the same difficulty as everything else for the most part.
I'll probably have harder courses next year.
Old 12-10-2011 at 08:23 AM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

3/4 ppl who mentioned courses were engineering lol

but for me so far 2ci5--well I’ll see how the exam goes today

2DI4--the prof is.... really don’t want to say what I’m thinking. I just realize how much material I have to cram as I understood pretty much 5% of what happened after the midterm. He said an avg of 3 min per exam question. The example he did in class. Way over 3 minutes
Old 12-10-2011 at 08:41 AM   #8
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
3/4 ppl who mentioned courses were engineering lol

but for me so far 2ci5--well I’ll see how the exam goes today

2DI4--the prof is.... really don’t want to say what I’m thinking. I just realize how much material I have to cram as I understood pretty much 5% of what happened after the midterm. He said an avg of 3 min per exam question. The example he did in class. Way over 3 minutes
Lol, 2DI4...Patriciu...Tak es him the whole class to do 1 example/question and then says this is on the exam -.-

MacPack, Shabi7 like this.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:15 AM   #9
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Lol, 2DI4...Patriciu...Tak es him the whole class to do 1 example/question and then says this is on the exam -.-
I actually had him for biomedical instrumentation this semester and he was really good (and I had him for 2DI4 when he first started doing that course, oh man)

Worst for me would be electrical engineering 3EJ4, massacre all around, 5 people passed the exam :/

--HP-- likes this.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:22 AM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
I actually had him for biomedical instrumentation this semester and he was really good (and I had him for 2DI4 when he first started doing that course, oh man)

Worst for me would be electrical engineering 3EJ4, massacre all around, 5 people passed the exam :/
3EJ4 def kills any second year elec course. Worst course ever.
Also anatomy, while not hard, is so time consuming that it makes other courses difficult

zagi says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:35 AM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
3EJ4 def kills any second year elec course. Worst course ever.
Also anatomy, while not hard, is so time consuming that it makes other courses difficult

3EJ4 hands down.

If you think 2CI5 is hard... oh man, you are in for a treat with 2CJ4 and 3PI4, lol
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:43 AM   #12
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Another vote for orgo
Old 12-10-2011 at 10:03 AM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Anatomy for time consumption, not a difficult course though

2DI4 for how little time you get per question.. you really have to know your stuff

math 2ZZ3 (?) ... i had no idea what was going on in that course

The orgo (2e03?) I took was only hard because I didn't do any studying... still managed to pass though

I can't vote for 3EJ4 yet...until tuesday.

Old 12-10-2011 at 10:34 AM   #14
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Anatomy for time consumption, not a difficult course though

2DI4 for how little time you get per question.. you really have to know your stuff

math 2ZZ3 (?) ... i had no idea what was going on in that course

The orgo (2e03?) I took was only hard because I didn't do any studying... still managed to pass though

I can't vote for 3EJ4 yet...until tuesday.

How the hell have people forgotten about this demonic course???? C'mon ENGINEERS!!!
Old 12-10-2011 at 10:42 AM   #15
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

psych 1x03 damn kim