MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would it be difficult to learn this song? ZSimon Music 1 09-21-2011 08:43 PM
Difficult finding a job in hamilton around the school? aw07 General Discussion 11 06-25-2011 10:35 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
How difficult is it to transfer programs? rexelle Academics 6 05-30-2010 06:48 PM

Most difficult course you've taken at Mac

Old 12-11-2011 at 07:25 PM   #46
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

2dm3 for the freaking exam...our prof is french so its like u barely understand him, our ta has a really thick chinese accent and speaks fast so u dont get her either. screwed lol
Old 12-11-2011 at 08:44 PM   #47
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Hardest courses I have taken at MAC that are tied for first spot:
Elec Eng 3EJ4 and Elec Eng 3CL4

Its not the content that's hard. Its the professors. I still passed both with a fair margin but man, they were challenging.
Old 12-12-2011 at 02:16 AM   #48
cottoncandy

Liked: Liked 6 Times

For me it was Physics 1B03 and Math 1A03
Old 12-12-2011 at 09:56 AM   #49
leech3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
So many to choose from...!

Materials 3C04: Thermo's not an easy subject, but until this course I've been able to do decently well even if it took a while to grasp some of the concepts. This course was only a little more difficult than usual, but made extremely frustrating in the difficult problem sets that were rarely made easier by the lecture notes, middle-school like lecturing ("I'm gonna put some handwritten notes on an overhead, then give you some time to copy them down, then very quietly try to explain what's going on"), unhelpful TAs, labs that were run out out of order (e.g. our first lab covered material near the end of the course), and just poor organization of the course in general. Myself, among many others, are in Round 2 vs. this guy right now.

Math 3I03: The course outline might as well say "Hey, you guys remember the most difficult parts of second year Eng Math? Here's a whole course on it!" I was able to pass however, because I had one of the best profs I've ever had: Dr. Bernardo Galvao-Sousa. He walked into and taught every class with a smile and had a delightful accent. His positive attitude was contagious to the point where instead of wanting to gouge my brain out a dental pick after every lecture, I instead wanted to learn more and almost looked forward to the next one. I remember him walking around as we wrote our exams and even though I was still being violated as I desperately tried to recall some of what the course taught me, couldn't help but smile as I saw his possibly-sadistic grin as he watched everyone fail.

Materials 3T04: While the course was brutal and I literally learned next to nothing from it, failing was never an issue, as the majority of my classmates were in the same boat. Here's the histogram of exam marks (worth 50%) Dr. Malakhov conveniently provided:

It looks eerily similar to a hand giving the finger (that one person that got 75-80 is the thumb!)
Man, I should've saved the histogram for our 3T04 exam this year. It was roughly the same as your's. lol
Old 12-12-2011 at 12:00 PM   #50
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
I now am scared for upper year courses.

Thanks.

- First Year Engineer
Did anyone ever tell you that 1st year engineering was the hardest and that 2nd and 3rd year were gonna be much easier?

Well, they were talking out their ass. It gets harder every year.

Old 12-12-2011 at 01:28 PM   #51
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Any class taught by Ullal -__-

giftedchick, _Mike like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 02:01 PM   #52
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Bio 1A03 - ONLY jacob's section. Don't know what the guy was thinking.
Old 12-12-2011 at 02:54 PM   #53
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

2nd year ECE is easy as hell except for 2EI5.

3rd year ECE is hard as hell except for 3TP4
Old 12-12-2011 at 03:54 PM   #54
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I would probably say Psych 2X03 because the exam was so bloody ambiguous with that "all answers are right, but only one is the most right crap.

What most people don't know is how hard humanities courses are, not to pass but to get good marks in. I would say that I worked incredibly hard to get higher than an 8 in my humanities courses as opposed to my other courses.
Old 12-12-2011 at 04:26 PM   #55
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
I would probably say Psych 2X03 because the exam was so bloody ambiguous with that "all answers are right, but only one is the most right crap.

What most people don't know is how hard humanities courses are, not to pass but to get good marks in. I would say that I worked incredibly hard to get higher than an 8 in my humanities courses as opposed to my other courses.
What course is 2X03? I've never heard of it, I didn't even know they offered that course.

Plus, if it's part of the Psych Neurosci and Behavior, wouldn't that make it more of a science course and not a humanities course?
Old 12-12-2011 at 04:41 PM   #56
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
What course is 2X03? I've never heard of it, I didn't even know they offered that course.

Plus, if it's part of the Psych Neurosci and Behavior, wouldn't that make it more of a science course and not a humanities course?
They changed stuff around this year for Psych. =/
they gave new course codes and combined some courses, and some are under PNB as opposed to just PSYCH

No idea what 2X03 is, though. :S

Old 12-12-2011 at 04:46 PM   #57
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

2X03 is the introductory course to Psychology, it's suggested that you take it prior to taking 1XX3 which is the one that most people are familiar with.

When i was mentioning humanities courses I meant courses like 1B03 or PHILOS 1E03 where the marking isn't overly harsh, but getting anything above a 75% is incredibly difficult. Most people at McMaster mistake the ease of passing Humanities with the ease of getting good marks, which it really isn't.
Old 12-12-2011 at 04:48 PM   #58
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
2X03 is the introductory course to Psychology, it's suggested that you take it prior to taking 1XX3 which is the one that most people are familiar with.

When i was mentioning humanities courses I meant courses like 1B03 or PHILOS 1E03 where the marking isn't overly harsh, but getting anything above a 75% is incredibly difficult. Most people at McMaster mistake the ease of passing Humanities with the ease of getting good marks, which it really isn't.
I think you mean 1X03, not 2X03. 2X03 doesn't exist and it's definitely not one of the intro courses.
Old 12-12-2011 at 05:43 PM   #59
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Anyone who ever tells you their engineering gets easier by the years, is lying through their balls to you. Period.

RyanC likes this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 05:55 PM   #60
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I think you mean 1X03, not 2X03. 2X03 doesn't exist and it's definitely not one of the intro courses.
Yeah, this is the case, thanks for correcting the error.