MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would it be difficult to learn this song? ZSimon Music 1 09-21-2011 08:43 PM
Difficult finding a job in hamilton around the school? aw07 General Discussion 11 06-25-2011 10:35 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
How difficult is it to transfer programs? rexelle Academics 6 05-30-2010 06:48 PM

Most difficult course you've taken at Mac

Old 12-10-2011 at 03:47 PM   #31
KaitlynAnne

Liked: 0 Times

**** chem, hands down. Chem Bio 2A03/2AA3
Old 12-10-2011 at 04:05 PM   #32
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
PHYS 3A03 - General relativity. This is the hardest course in university, hands down.
Analysis, no?
Old 12-10-2011 at 04:28 PM   #33
KaitlynAnne

Liked: 0 Times

lol oh yes, analytical chemistry
Old 12-10-2011 at 04:37 PM   #34
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

god damn Physics 1E03 back when I was in eng.

jim1, Shabi7 like this.
Old 12-10-2011 at 05:18 PM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
3EJ4 this year is terrible, the first midterm the average was 43%, the lab 1 midterm was 37% (based on a rumor), lab 2 midterm improved significantly but I am not sure what's the average is.

The book is not very helpful. The professor arrived to the solutions verbally with only a diagram of a circuit on the board. No lecture notes are posted online and you need to make decent in-class notes. Kind of hard making one when he talks so fast nonstop.

If he's not going to do a bell curve, without question, a lot of people will fail.
I have the 2010 lecture notes (back when he posted them online, sigh) and found some good supplementary material from stanford.

https://ccnet.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/c...at130164662 9

http://class.ee.iastate.edu/ee230/

By far, the best thing I've found online so far is the course notes from ee113, which, thankfully is based off our sedra and smith version, so the content is almost identical (except for FETs, which apparently is for noobs).

I actually think its kind of funny, he's gone through the material so slowly, I bet he thinks we're really stoopid.

--HP--, Bhaltair, MacPack, qwerty91 all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

--HP--, qwerty91 like this.
Old 12-10-2011 at 06:30 PM   #36
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Out of curiosity, who was the professor?
Dr. Azoulay. He's a York prof. It was a summer course.
Old 12-10-2011 at 07:13 PM   #37
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeria View Post
Are you serious? I'm taking it as an elective next term and I heard it wasn't that bad, that it was actually quite easy. Now I'm panicking
I'm in it right now. If you do all the practice sums, I've found that the exam is very fair.

Of course, the OP might have had a really bad prof, I don't really know who taught it (and I have heard it was BRUTAL term 1 last year). But I have Krepski, he's awesome.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:03 PM   #38
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
So many to choose from...!

Materials 3C04: Thermo's not an easy subject, but until this course I've been able to do decently well even if it took a while to grasp some of the concepts. This course was only a little more difficult than usual, but made extremely frustrating in the difficult problem sets that were rarely made easier by the lecture notes, middle-school like lecturing ("I'm gonna put some handwritten notes on an overhead, then give you some time to copy them down, then very quietly try to explain what's going on"), unhelpful TAs, labs that were run out out of order (e.g. our first lab covered material near the end of the course), and just poor organization of the course in general. Myself, among many others, are in Round 2 vs. this guy right now.

Math 3I03: The course outline might as well say "Hey, you guys remember the most difficult parts of second year Eng Math? Here's a whole course on it!" I was able to pass however, because I had one of the best profs I've ever had: Dr. Bernardo Galvao-Sousa. He walked into and taught every class with a smile and had a delightful accent. His positive attitude was contagious to the point where instead of wanting to gouge my brain out a dental pick after every lecture, I instead wanted to learn more and almost looked forward to the next one. I remember him walking around as we wrote our exams and even though I was still being violated as I desperately tried to recall some of what the course taught me, couldn't help but smile as I saw his possibly-sadistic grin as he watched everyone fail.

Materials 3T04: While the course was brutal and I literally learned next to nothing from it, failing was never an issue, as the majority of my classmates were in the same boat. Here's the histogram of exam marks (worth 50%) Dr. Malakhov conveniently provided:

It looks eerily similar to a hand giving the finger (that one person that got 75-80 is the thumb!)
that 56ish... that was me! lmfao
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:12 PM   #39
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
i want to say heat transfer (ME 3R03) but other than the exam, it wasn't that bad.
Agree on 3R Heat transfer
But I thought the other way: Everything else sucks but exam isn't so bad. The midterms are hit or miss. 1 question in each test (exam has 1 compulsory & choice of 3 questions out of 5 or 6) and if you don't understand or misunderstood it, you're toasted. 15% of final grade gone. The pressure is so much greater than in the exam.
That being said, Dr. Judd is a good lecturer.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:33 PM   #40
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeria View Post
Are you serious? I'm taking it as an elective next term and I heard it wasn't that bad, that it was actually quite easy. Now I'm panicking
the person did mention that it was due to a bad prof

On another note. You guys are scaring me about 3ej4

I just got back from the 2ci5 exam. I know the course isn’t that hard, there not alot of material to memorize, just knowing how to analyze the circuit, but I am not good it …but I guess that happens when you have little interest in the subject

Last edited by MacPack : 12-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2011 at 01:07 AM   #41
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
i want to say heat transfer (ME 3R03) but other than the exam, it wasn't that bad.

I second that. Heat Transfer was a very interesting course but the marking scheme could throw you off easily.

Mid Term 1 - 1 question - 15%
Mid Term 2 - 1 question - 15%
Final Exam - 4 (I think) questions - 70%

Glad it's over.
Old 12-11-2011 at 09:31 AM   #42
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
I just got back from the 2ci5 exam. I know the course isn’t that hard, there not alot of material to memorize, just knowing how to analyze the circuit, but I am not good it …but I guess that happens when you have little interest in the subject
Oh gosh, have fun in 2cj4, and 3ei5 then! :(
Old 12-11-2011 at 11:15 AM   #43
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I now am scared for upper year courses.

Thanks.

- First Year Engineer

micadjems likes this.
Old 12-11-2011 at 01:47 PM   #44
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

2zz3 here for sure! just managed to get out of that course alive!
Old 12-11-2011 at 06:59 PM   #45
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstevenson View Post
2zz3 here for sure! just managed to get out of that course alive!
Lol, 2z03 is hard enough. I don't even want to imagine 2zz3's difficulty