MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM
Move-In lorend Residence & Housing 57 09-04-2007 12:40 AM

Move in day

Old 08-03-2011 at 01:34 AM   #1
vvndn

Liked: 0 Times

Move in day
so on this map: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/movin/mainV2011.swf
it says that the parking is way out on the left side. im moving into les prince, so if my parents wanna help me unpack my things are they gonna have to park there and then walk all the way back to my rez, or are there other parking lots that are closer?
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:38 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

You can take everything out of the car in front of the building and then your parents can go park in the parking lot.

vvndn says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-23-2011 at 06:47 AM   #3
PEBBLES

Liked: 2 Times

parents and move in day
My move in day is Sat from 12 - 4. Once my parents help me unpack and at some point do a quick run to the store for incidentals will there be much opportunity for them to see me? Are we kept pretty busy both Sat night and Sunday? They're not sure how many nights to book a hotel for. Also, for the students who are already moved in on Saturday, are we kept busy while others move in on Sunday?
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:04 AM   #4
leitaomj

Liked: 0 Times

also as a side not REMEMBER to label all your "big box stuff". such as fridge, suit cases, etc. as the welcome week reps will be taking those things right out of your car for you and putting the in your room
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:32 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBBLES View Post
My move in day is Sat from 12 - 4. Once my parents help me unpack and at some point do a quick run to the store for incidentals will there be much opportunity for them to see me? Are we kept pretty busy both Sat night and Sunday? They're not sure how many nights to book a hotel for. Also, for the students who are already moved in on Saturday, are we kept busy while others move in on Sunday?
Parents usually stay for 1-2 hours after move-in to help their kids settle in. But after that it's best for the kids to start socializing with their residence. There will be residence activities starting the day you move in.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:37 AM   #6
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

You can pull your car in near the building. There will be TONS of volunteers there to show you where to go; you won't have any trouble.

Mind you, when you get out of the car you may/will be accosted by several members of your faculty and/or a Shinerama person.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:41 AM   #7
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Moving day is going to be nuts. I suggest you pack lots of snacks and cool drinks, arrive early, and dont plan anything for the rest of the day.

Ill be covering my moving say (im a new grad) by blogging on my mcmaster/grad life blog @ www.insideminds.tk
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:07 AM   #8
Kirbyyy

Liked: 1 Time

Hey,
i was kinda wondering how much stuff everyone usually brings? like a few boxes and a suitcase? im kinda concerned with bringing too much stuff/boxes :S
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:58 AM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyyy View Post
Hey,
i was kinda wondering how much stuff everyone usually brings? like a few boxes and a suitcase? im kinda concerned with bringing too much stuff/boxes :S
I think I had 7-8 boxes, and then some other bags. They ask that you bring up valuables (ie laptop) yourself, but if you have a ton of other stuff you might as well get the reps to move your stuff up for you Don't worry about bringing too much, I'm pretty sure someone will have more than you.
Old 08-27-2011 at 02:31 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

If you have to make more than 1 trip to bring everything over then you have too much stuff.
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:33 PM   #11
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

I feel like I'm not bringing enough. I have like 3 boxes and my backpack...
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:36 PM   #12
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
sometimes less is more

also less stuff = more space in your room
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:40 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
Essentials are like 1 week of clothes, bedding, pillows, blanket, body soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, school supplies, laundry detergent. Laptops/Computers aren't essential, but almost everyone would say it's important.

Almost everyone brings snacks, drinks, printer (again not essential because they do exist on campus), more than 1 week of clothes.

Some people bring in monitors, food.
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:50 PM   #14
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

For upper years, we don't have to move in on the assigned day right? For me it's Monday...but would it be alright for me to come on Tuesday, Wednesday instead?
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:51 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
For upper years, we don't have to move in on the assigned day right? For me it's Monday...but would it be alright for me to come on Tuesday, Wednesday instead?
As long as it's before or on the 8th, otherwise you need to fill out a form from the Housing website.