MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM
Move-In lorend Residence & Housing 57 09-04-2007 12:40 AM

Move in day

Old 08-27-2011 at 04:54 PM   #16
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
For upper years, we don't have to move in on the assigned day right? For me it's Monday...but would it be alright for me to come on Tuesday, Wednesday instead?
that will be fine. if you move-in before september 9th, you have to send them an email indicating that you will be moving-in after september 5th. if you want to move-in after september 9th, you have to fillout a form.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ovein2011.html

(scroll down for all the info)
Old 08-27-2011 at 05:51 PM   #17
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

My parents only have cars and no vans/trucks, and my whole family wants to see me off, but my stuff can't just fit in a lone car with 5 people in it. Am i able to bring two cars? Or will that confuse the staff?
Old 08-27-2011 at 05:53 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
My parents only have cars and no vans/trucks, and my whole family wants to see me off, but my stuff can't just fit in a lone car with 5 people in it. Am i able to bring two cars? Or will that confuse the staff?
It'll only confuse them when they crowd around the second car to find out there's no student in it. As long as you label everything it'll be fine.
Old 08-30-2011 at 05:25 PM   #19
AngieC

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I think I had 7-8 boxes, and then some other bags. They ask that you bring up valuables (ie laptop) yourself, but if you have a ton of other stuff you might as well get the reps to move your stuff up for you Don't worry about bringing too much, I'm pretty sure someone will have more than you.
That someone with more stuff will probably be me oh boy ,
Question where do we get our key ?
Old 08-30-2011 at 05:26 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieC View Post
That someone with more stuff will probably be me oh boy ,
Question where do we get our key ?
You'll be directed where to go. Keyes would be in Keyes though (or maybe around just outside).
Old 08-30-2011 at 07:42 PM   #21
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

can we use our meal card the day we move in?
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:31 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
can we use our meal card the day we move in?
yes................
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:38 PM   #23
rumbletime

Liked: 1 Time

Is it true that the volunteers carry the boxes to your room for you? Because if someone has 10 boxes, it'd be crazy for them to have to take all 10 up... is there a limit to how many they will help with?

Also, regarding printers: are printing fees already covered under our fees or is there a card we have to load to print?
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:40 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
Is it true that the volunteers carry the boxes to your room for you? Because if someone has 10 boxes, it'd be crazy for them to have to take all 10 up... is there a limit to how many they will help with?

Also, regarding printers: are printing fees already covered under our fees or is there a card we have to load to print?
Yes, just remember to take your valuables with your (laptop, anything fragile).

You have to pay to print. http://library.mcmaster.ca/equipment/copying

rumbletime says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:43 PM   #25
rumbletime

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yes, just remember to take your valuables with your (laptop, anything fragile).

You have to pay to print. http://library.mcmaster.ca/equipment/copying
Thanks! What about the limit of how many boxes the volunteers will carry - is there a number?
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:50 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
Thanks! What about the limit of how many boxes the volunteers will carry - is there a number?
Nope................. .

rumbletime says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-30-2011 at 11:01 PM   #27
dquest

Liked: 3 Times

wait do the volunteers directly take everything from our car to the room or do they just drop it off somewhere and then take it up?

and is it possible for my family to came and see my room on move in day? or is access controlled?

thanks
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:00 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquest View Post
wait do the volunteers directly take everything from our car to the room or do they just drop it off somewhere and then take it up?

and is it possible for my family to came and see my room on move in day? or is access controlled?

thanks
It's not direct if there is an elevator involved, but by the time you pick up your keys and macpass everything should be in front of your room.

Yes, your family can help you settle into your room.

dquest says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:34 AM   #29
PEBBLES

Liked: 2 Times

If my parents want to take me to the grocery store for a few items is it best to get this done during the move in time of 12-4 (les Prince on Saturday) since I'm thinking we'll be busy with activities afterwards. Also what do the students who already moved in on Saturday do on Sunday while everyone else is moving in ? Will there be time for my parents to see me on Sunday before they go home?
Old 08-31-2011 at 09:43 AM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBBLES View Post
If my parents want to take me to the grocery store for a few items is it best to get this done during the move in time of 12-4 (les Prince on Saturday) since I'm thinking we'll be busy with activities afterwards. Also what do the students who already moved in on Saturday do on Sunday while everyone else is moving in ? Will there be time for my parents to see me on Sunday before they go home?
Buy the groceries before you move-in. It can't possibly be that much groceries so someone can have it on their lap or something then bring it to your room after you park.

There will always be something to do, whether it's unpacking, welcome week activities, or going around your residence meeting people.