MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant biglandfarm Academics 23 05-09-2012 09:22 AM
Rant about students talking AnimeGamer31 General Discussion 69 11-02-2011 06:18 PM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

My course selection rant

Old 08-13-2012 at 01:51 PM   #16
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
really sorry guys.....it was a friend mine posting these comments....i shudn't have even left the computer on the first place.....this sounds really silly , its also probably why he chose to speak about 'school' (he's only in grade 10) !!! I sincerely apologise. :(

I honestly feel like kicking him in the nuts right now so he never does this again !!
Yeah right.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 01:52 PM   #17
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
this is no bull**** . you guys have brought this upon yourselves. trust me when i say this. About 75 % have got all their prefered courses, its just the lazy, not so interested 25% who keep complaining the entire time instead of really acting it out. Do better at school, you'll definitely have choices open for you. Instead, you choose to go the wrong way, put no effort wattsoever and then keep whining !!

get a life !!
lmao. right.

anyway.

what i can suggest is appealing the humanity of the academic advisors. Let them know the reasons behind taking the course, and why it's absolutely crucial that you take it. How else are they going to distinguish between those who would truly benefit from it and those who are just taking it because they can?

Even if the emails you write are lengthy, it's a hell of a lot better than telling them nothing.
Old 08-13-2012 at 02:38 PM  
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 08-13-2012 at 03:14 PM   #18
galaniz

Liked: 1 Time

I have friends that go to Laurier and they have a waiting list, why can't Mac do the same.... we're in a school of overachievers and yet we have one of the worst systems for course selection.... WTF
Old 08-13-2012
Kevinabrahak
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-13-2012 at 04:19 PM   #19
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

lol welcome to mcmaster
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-13-2012
Marooner
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-13-2012 at 05:11 PM   #20
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

ditto.....the thing that ticks me off is that i dont take courses because they are easy or bird. i take them because i am interested in them and they peek my curiosity. I hate it when everything that i am the slightest bit interested in is taken and im forced to take course that i have absolute no interest in taking. whats more is that im being almost forced to take and pay for courses i dont want because everything i do want is full. my tuition, my undergrad, my interests, i should be able to take what i want, not what solar tells me is left.

also.....i dont get why solar doesnt tell me there is a conflict when i first select the courses in June -_-. because of that i have to now drop of the courses i was really looking forward to and nothing else fits because everything has been sectioned and i keep getting conflicts with tuts, cores, labs. and its impossible to change around because every section is full -_-.
Old 08-13-2012 at 06:26 PM   #21
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
ditto.....the thing that ticks me off is that i dont take courses because they are easy or bird. i take them because i am interested in them and they peek my curiosity. I hate it when everything that i am the slightest bit interested in is taken and im forced to take course that i have absolute no interest in taking. whats more is that im being almost forced to take and pay for courses i dont want because everything i do want is full. my tuition, my undergrad, my interests, i should be able to take what i want, not what solar tells me is left.

also.....i dont get why solar doesnt tell me there is a conflict when i first select the courses in June -_-. because of that i have to now drop of the courses i was really looking forward to and nothing else fits because everything has been sectioned and i keep getting conflicts with tuts, cores, labs. and its impossible to change around because every section is full -_-.
It's your responsibility to check the master timetable prior to selecting courses so that you know whether or not it is possible to take them both without a conflict, not SOLAR's responsibility to tell you. Sections have not yet been uploaded onto SOLAR (it doesn't have any sectional information nor does it know what section you will be placed in), so it can't tell you if it conflicts.

This year I heard of one person's glitching where it didn't assign them a conflict-free timetable even though it was possible (and all of her courses were required, no electives at all), but usually it's pretty good at minimizing the number of conflicts based on space available in each section and the number of people in each course.

Alternatively, sometimes they will allow you to switch sections if you have a conflict with a non-mandatory course (it's worth asking the people in charge of both courses, if possible).

As for wanting to take courses you're interested in, so does everyone else. That's why certain courses are in high demand. Everyone is paying for their courses, why should you get preference?
I'm not saying the system is perfect, but you need to understand that IT ISN'T. Nor is any other school's. It's easy to say they should open up more sections, but there aren't people to teach them.
Waiting lists is something that could/should be implemented, however.

speirac likes this.
Old 08-14-2012 at 03:42 AM   #22
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I don't get why we don't have a waiting list system, either.
Everything is pretty much fight to the death here.
Old 08-14-2012 at 06:52 AM   #23
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Alexmahone, oxelhs, randhirmiz you guys are seriously a waste of time ...

thanks galaniz for getting back to the point !!
Haha cant speak for all of them, but I am sure you can find plenty of posts to be a troll on Alex like he is trying to do here, he likes to put a big target on his back at times.
On the point though, Although our system is flawed, it is still not as bad as it could be. Take Brock for example, the students have to all try to get on a server at the same time, and pick every single lab, tutorial and lecture time slot for themselves. While this may sound desireable to some, believe me its a headache no one should want to deal with. With a certain level of persistency, getting onto Solar is not impossible, just have to give up an entire day of any social contact and focus solely on clicking away