MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email system? anonanon987 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 07-29-2011 05:06 PM
What is going on with the new proposed email system for Mac? is it going to happen? vazm4 Academics 9 07-20-2011 02:06 PM
How to setup my McMaster email to my apple email on my Macbook? ibro95 Computers & Tech 3 07-19-2011 02:30 PM
So much for the new email system. MaryS General Discussion 17 03-04-2011 11:21 PM
New Email System Update MD-L Academics 20 10-14-2010 09:49 PM

new email system?

Old 11-03-2011 at 11:01 AM   #1
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

new email system?
I haven't heard anything about it since 2nd term of last year, so does anyone know what's going on?

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 11:15 AM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I honestly doubt it'll be implemented before I graduate...
Old 11-03-2011 at 04:23 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I haven't heard anything about it since 2nd term of last year, so does anyone know what's going on?
I anticipate it consisting of instructions being posted on the msu website on how to connect your muss.cis email account to gmail...

Old 11-03-2011 at 04:40 PM   #4
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

I heard directly from the committee that was organizing the switch that they plan to implement it over the winter break, as it takes a few days to transfer the data from current MUSS accounts to the new gmail accounts.

They have to wait until a time where this transfer won't affect classes/exams and communication during these times.

So, as far as I understand, it will be implemented by second semester (this year)

AmyLia says thanks to Elliott779 for this post.

anon491 likes this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 06:36 PM   #5
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott779 View Post
I heard directly from the committee that was organizing the switch that they plan to implement it over the winter break, as it takes a few days to transfer the data from current MUSS accounts to the new gmail accounts.

They have to wait until a time where this transfer won't affect classes/exams and communication during these times.

So, as far as I understand, it will be implemented by second semester (this year)
I wouldn't count on it, we were told last year that it would be implemented before the next year, and here we are...

The reason we're probably not hearing about it is simply because it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Last edited by mattatmac : 11-03-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 06:40 PM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

*coughs*

Agreed. It was supposed to be implemented over Reading Week for this precise reason. And then maybe over the summer. Oh, no, definitely before term begins, before the first years start.

.___.
Old 11-03-2011 at 06:49 PM   #7
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

I agree, I too have heard all of the "its coming soon guys, I promise!" time and time again.

I'm just recounting what I was told just a few days ago. *apparently* the contract has finally been negotiated, and they're technically able to implement it right away.
Old 11-03-2011 at 08:56 PM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

right now i just forward all my muss mail to my gmail anyways so it doesnt matter too much to me

Afzal, jon.john23 like this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 09:25 PM   #9
anon491
Professional Fangirl

I don't really like the gmail system, hotmail would've been more useful to me, but anything would be better than the hideous email system we have now.
Old 11-03-2011 at 09:31 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
I don't really like the gmail system, hotmail would've been more useful to me, but anything would be better than the hideous email system we have now.
I'm pretty sure hotmail has the forwarding option as well.

Actually, I find the hotmail layout and overall system downright revolting and can't stand to look at it (which is why i have hotmail forward to gmail, lmao)

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 09:33 PM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

Actually, I find the hotmail layout and overall system downright revolting and can't stand to look at it (which is why i have hotmail forward to gmail, lmao)
I'm really not sure why anyone would still use Hotmail these days outside of the people that have been using it for a decade and just refuse to change.

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 10:31 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I'm really not sure why anyone would still use Hotmail these days outside of the people that have been using it for a decade and just refuse to change.
Because I like Hotmail, and all the spam I get.

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-03-2011 at 10:50 PM   #13
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Because I like Hotmail, and all the spam I get.
my hotmail address that does not use my name in anyway, ive used so many times for contests and stuff it is loaded with spam.

on an unrelated note, i seem to have a lot of connections with a lot of wealthy west africans that keep asking me to hold millions for them until they are safe and all they need is my bank info...

Last edited by Snowman : 11-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Afzal, Biochem47 like this.
Old 11-04-2011 at 12:06 AM   #14
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

I use the forwarding system. I have to log into MUSS to send mail though, that's the thing.
and replies to emails sent from my muss.cis.mcmaster.ca address don't get forwarded, I believe. only @mcmaster.ca ones.
Old 11-04-2011 at 03:48 AM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
I use the forwarding system. I have to log into MUSS to send mail though, that's the thing.
and replies to emails sent from my muss.cis.mcmaster.ca address don't get forwarded, I believe. only @mcmaster.ca ones.
All get forwarded and you can set gmail to use your mcmaster email to send emails too.