MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Programs at Mac manu General Discussion 8 06-28-2009 09:12 PM
Year II Bio Programs? rrtt General Discussion 8 06-27-2009 11:05 PM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM
Level II Programs James Academics 2 02-26-2009 03:03 PM

New Laptop -- Useful Programs?

Old 07-30-2010 at 10:09 AM   #31
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
It won't give you viruses and adware

This goes for anyone who uses firefox, switch to palemoon! It's a clone that is simply faster. Its exactly the same and will keep all of your settings and personal preferences like bookmarks and such. It's not really a switch at all because its the exact same thing... http://www.palemoon.org/

I actually use Opera because mouse gestures and speed dial are unreal I can't believe I used to have to move the cursor all the way to the top left of the page to go back and forth.

teracopy makes copy and paste and such faster which is great for transfering your files

can't forget about Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Google Chrome + SmoothGesture, same idea. Much faster than clicking forward and back. And there's a ton of other gesture functions.

If Teracopy makes file transfering faster, would that in turn make program installations faster?
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:13 AM   #32
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

I heard that on Win7 teracopy actually transfers things slower.
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:22 AM   #33
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
If Teracopy makes file transfering faster, would that in turn make program installations faster?
I think what he/she meant was that the program makes it require less mouse clicks to get things copied... like less dragging and dropping.
Old 07-30-2010 at 11:24 AM   #34
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think what he/she meant was that the program makes it require less mouse clicks to get things copied... like less dragging and dropping.
I like Copy Handler, its good cause you can queue items so you maximize transfer speed
Old 09-15-2010 at 11:59 PM   #35
ninjamachete

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
In case you didn't know, you don't have to use iTunes to sync your iPod to your computer. There are tutorials that show you how you can get certain other media players to sync with iPods. Songbird, MediaMonkey, WinAmp are just a few that I know are iPod compatible. If you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone, you can use the AppStore on your touch/phone itself instead of using iTunes.

I also use Chrome as my browser, but I have Firefox for MacInsiders.

I use IOBit to clean my computer (Instead of CCleaner), it also has an uninstaller/scrubber that is comparable to RevoUninstaller and has 360 Security for Spyware/Malware. the only downfall is that the free version doesn't have a scheduler for scanning spyware/malware, but it still has live scanning.

I use NitroPDF reader instead of Adobe Reader. It also print PDF files.

I use SmartDefrag instead of the windows defragger.

I use GOM as my media player.
GOM FTW!!!
Old 09-16-2010 at 01:54 PM   #36
camais

Liked: 30 Times

fifa 10 - absolute necessity
Old 09-16-2010 at 03:01 PM   #37
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

keep in mind that installing lots of programs on your PC will slow it down. In that you should...
1) create backup disks immediately
2) uninstall all the crapware that came with your pc. All trial versions, norton, useless programs.
3) download a maintenance tool (like ccleaner) and clean out the Registry after backing it up.
4) download/install you needed programs (music, productivity, browser, virus protection)
5) repeat the Reg clean with backup.
6) install programs as you NEED them. If you can get away without them, dont install them. Uninstall any program you dont need (such as school programs no longer used. Ex: Maple, Solid Edge)
Old 09-17-2010 at 10:40 AM   #38
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

My list of must haves:
Firefox (get the add blocking add ons)
Itunes
VLC player
MagicDisc (ISOs are so much easier than carrying around cd's)
Apex DC++
Photoshop
Winrar
CCleaner
Skype can be fun for keeping in touch, provided you have a webcam/microphone