MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
Ontario Med School Requirements Lois Academics 48 07-11-2009 09:17 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

Ontario Medical School Requirements

Old 07-29-2009 at 09:30 AM   #31
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
hey,

Is there a way where med schools do not see ur first year marks or GPA???
You should look into the specific requirements for each school. Some schools take a couple of your best years under consideration while others look at all your undergrad work. There is no way to 'hide' your first year marks, but some schools may not even be concerned with them.
Old 07-29-2009 at 10:13 AM   #32
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
hey,

Is there a way where med schools do not see ur first year marks or GPA???
For more information on GPA calculations and course eligibility, see here (http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2191 6).

Some schools take everything. Some, like Ottawa, weigh your upper year courses more than first year courses. Some, like Queens and Western, take your two best years.
Old 07-29-2009 at 05:21 PM   #33
science4ever

Liked: 2 Times

I heard english was a requirement for medschool, so I wanted to take first year english cause I assumed that would be the easiest. Any suggestions on which english course I can take?...I'm planning to take english for term 3. Thankss!!
Old 07-29-2009 at 05:37 PM   #34
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by science4ever View Post
I heard english was a requirement for medschool, so I wanted to take first year english cause I assumed that would be the easiest. Any suggestions on which english course I can take?...I'm planning to take english for term 3. Thankss!!
I don't think that it's a requirement for Canadian Med Schools. However it is requirement for most American med schools.

Old 07-29-2009 at 06:22 PM   #35
conradchi

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
I don't think that it's a requirement for Canadian Med Schools. However it is requirement for most American med schools.
Actually, there's an English requirement for UBC and UofA.
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:12 PM   #36
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradchi View Post
Actually, there's an English requirement for UBC and UofA.
yeah but not for ontario med schools
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:35 PM   #37
science4ever

thanks I think I'm going to take it just incase I go abroad..so...any suggestions for first year eng. courses that were particularly easy to attain marks?
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:05 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by science4ever View Post
Term 3 is a full year course. The only full year english course is 1C06 A History of English Literature. Course Review: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1831 8

You can take 2 half year courses though.

Here are some reviews:

1BB3: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1843 1
1B03: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1845 7
1AA3: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2113 4

There's also English 1A03, but no reviews.
Old 07-29-2009 at 10:47 PM   #39
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If I were aiming for med school, taking english would be last of my worries haha.
Old 07-30-2009 at 04:09 PM   #40
science4ever

thanks for the info
Old 07-31-2009 at 03:02 PM   #41
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
You should look into the specific requirements for each school. Some schools take a couple of your best years under consideration while others look at all your undergrad work. There is no way to 'hide' your first year marks, but some schools may not even be concerned with them.
oh ok...but i think mac only looks at the last two years academic record...correct me if i'm wrong!

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS

MD/PhD Degree in Medical Sciences or Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
  • 4 year Honours B.Sc. or BHSc with a minimum academic standing of 10.5/12 (on the McMaster scale) or 3.8 on a 4 point scale in the final two years of the Bachelor’s degree study in courses relevant to the program. An appropriate biological sciences background for the PhD program may include a Master's degree.
[ link: http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/grad/meds...D%20admiss.htm]
Old 07-31-2009 at 03:49 PM   #42
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
oh ok...but i think mac only looks at the last two years academic record...correct me if i'm wrong!

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS

MD/PhD Degree in Medical Sciences or Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
  • 4 year Honours B.Sc. or BHSc with a minimum academic standing of 10.5/12 (on the McMaster scale) or 3.8 on a 4 point scale in the final two years of the Bachelor’s degree study in courses relevant to the program. An appropriate biological sciences background for the PhD program may include a Master's degree.
[ link: http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/grad/meds...D%20admiss.htm]
That's for the MD/PhD program, not the undergrad medical program.
http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/
Q: If I have a bad year, will it be used in the GPA calculation?

The GPA is calculated on all undergraduate university course work you have ever done. No allowances are made for how many years ago the work was done or circumstances that may have caused you to have lower marks. If you feel that a mark on your transcript is low because of circumstances beyond your control, you must address this with the Registrar of the university you attended. If the mark is removed from your transcript, we will not use it. Our academic assessment is based upon the information on your transcript.

Source:http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/as...estions. html
Old 07-31-2009 at 03:57 PM   #43
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

If you're looking for schools that do not look at every single course you have taken, look into Western (best 2 years) and Queen's (last 2 years). They both have alternative ways of calculating your GPA if your cGPA don't meet the cut-off. Although their MCAT cut-off is also quite high.

Also UofT will consider dropping up to 6 credits per year if you have completed at least 3 years of undergrad.
Old 07-31-2009 at 06:17 PM   #44
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugaucon View Post
If you're looking for schools that do not look at every single course you have taken, look into Western (best 2 years) and Queen's (last 2 years). They both have alternative ways of calculating your GPA if your cGPA don't meet the cut-off. Although their MCAT cut-off is also quite high.

Also UofT will consider dropping up to 6 credits per year if you have completed at least 3 years of undergrad.
In addition, to taking a full course load every year!
Old 08-01-2009 at 05:02 PM   #45
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

oh right..so what was the degree that I was looking at? It is MD as well!