MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you drop a major...and how? niki_517 Academics 4 06-16-2010 02:16 PM
Poli Sci major Maudjee22 Academics 9 03-29-2010 04:52 PM
Major Help !!! ghostanime20 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-01-2009 02:13 PM
double major? jordanrogers General Discussion 8 03-01-2009 08:01 PM
Picking Your Major sinthusized Academics 2 10-25-2008 07:40 PM

Osap major help!

Old 08-30-2010 at 07:25 PM   #1
DanielaC

Liked: 1 Time

Osap major help!
Ok so I am a first year student at McMaster. I applied for osap June 19, 2010 and submitted my web application. I sent in the signature sheets and whatever other documents needed to be received. It occured to me at the end of August that my osap appeared to be on hold because they were requesting another document. I made a mistake on my osap application and they think I am getting Ontario Works'. I am, in fact, getting disabled contributor's child benefit (because of my mom) I have only been receiving this payment of $200 since February of 2010 and I get it at the end of every month. My entire first year cost is $13,700. Osap is giving me just enough to cover the cost. I called McMaster Financial Aid Office about the mistake and they told me to send in an osap application change form. I completed it and sent it in to McMaster last Monday by express post. How long will it take McMaster to send in the form to Osap and make the correct changes. Also will this greatly affect the amount of osap aid I will be getting; will my osap be late? I read in a different post that if you make a change to your osap in the summer that if they are going to change my amount or whatever, they will do that in the second installment. So you can see my predicament. I just want to know how late my osap will be or if I will still receive it on time since I sent in all the supporting documentation in on time.

Help!
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:31 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

The answer I've got from Financial Aid regarding any OSAP processing issues is 3-4 weeks. Assuming that's the case here as well, your OSAP Won't be available til mid-late Sept. I can't speak to how it will affect the amount you're entitled to, as that would depend on all the variables, but I wouldn't expect it to be much of a reduction, if any.
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:36 PM   #3
DanielaC

Oh yeah thanks I'm just waiting patiently for something to happen. McMaster never contacted me or anything so I'm glad I even found out before it was really too late. I hope I dont get charged the 1.2% late fee. *fingers crossed that i get osap before the 30th of September.
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:38 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaC View Post
Oh yeah thanks I'm just waiting patiently for something to happen. McMaster never contacted me or anything so I'm glad I even found out before it was really too late. I hope I dont get charged the 1.2% late fee. *fingers crossed that i get osap before the 30th of September.
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't hand in my shit in til last Tuesday, so you wont be alone in your last minute payment.
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:57 PM   #5
DanielaC

Lol I know, but it's so frustrating!! Also on my payment agreement page (I chose the flex plan osap plan) but it shows beside osap as an option (on solar) that it is still pending? Should it still be pending? Cause that is starting to worry me...
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:00 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Lol I know, but it's so frustrating!! Also on my payment agreement page (I chose the flex plan osap plan) but it shows beside osap as an option (on solar) that it is still pending? Should it still be pending? Cause that is starting to worry me...
I believe it will stay as pending until the payment is made form your first OSAP installment. I could be wrong though. I'd check with the registrar's office tomorrow, since they're the ones that oversee that.

EDIT: I can't check my own SOLAR, since I owe money and am locked out, but from the last time I looked at it, Im pretty sure mine says the same as yours.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:00 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
The 1.2% isn't considered a late fee, it's just the interest charged on the last day of every month. Once school starts you should talk to a financial advisor and see if you can avoid the interest due to your circumstances. It's worth a try.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:04 PM   #8
DanielaC

Thanks I'll call them tomorrow, but the thing that is bothering me now is the fact that on my payment agreement it says osap is still pending and to check back by August 15th for entitlement up to, and now it;s the 30th and I am scared that I'm not getting osap. Why is it still pending on my payment agreement. Is it because of me not sending in a document and having to make an application change?
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:06 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Thanks I'll call them tomorrow, but the thing that is bothering me now is the fact that on my payment agreement it says osap is still pending and to check back by August 15th for entitlement up to, and now it;s the 30th and I am scared that I'm not getting osap. Why is it still pending on my payment agreement. Is it because of me not sending in a document and having to make an application change?
Yeah, since your OSAP release is pending the receipt of your documents, it's still labeled as pending in the payment agreement.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:09 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Don't call... go in there, this is really last minute and its a possibility you won't have your OSAP in on time. Tomorrow is like the last day for financials, so don't expect to get a call through in any reasonable amount of time?
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:11 PM   #11
DanielaC

I live 2 1/2 hours away and I was told by someone from Financial Aid and Scholarships that once I send in my application change everything will be fine. She said my osap will be late but should be in before September 30th. The only thing on my mind right now is why it still says 'pending' on my payment agreement.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:18 PM   #12
DanielaC

Jhan523, I saw something you posted on someone else's thread that kinda is the same as my issue. On my payment agreement I chose osap as my payment. Where osap is it says OSAP - PENDING: PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR ENTITLEMENT AMOUNT UP TO: AUGUST 15TH, N/A.

What does that mean? It's past August 15th so shouldn't the status change? Is it still pending because of the whole mix up with my osap application mistake. I just sent in the osap application change form last monday, so when it gets to osap or whatever will it change? Please help... I'm slightly freaking out here.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:25 PM   #13
DanielaC

Yeah, since your OSAP release is pending the receipt of your documents, it's still labeled as pending in the payment agreement.

I don't really understand... Will I still get my osap (even if it's late)? I'm scared that I won't get it....
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:29 PM   #14
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:

I don't really understand... Will I still get my osap (even if it's late)? I'm scared that I won't get it....
You'll get it. just watch the OSAP website. It will come around mid-late sept at the latest, once your documents are processed. They wont cut you off for being a few weeks late, just delay the release of your funds.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:34 PM   #15
DanielaC

Oh I suppose. So the reason why it's still saying pending is 'cause I had to get things sorted out and I sent in one thing a little late? So once Osap receives my change form or whatever and replies back to McMaster, the school should know my entitlement and I will get my funds?

So it's not like they're just going to take away my money? It's because everything is backed up?