MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and Flex OSAP Plan HELP! knguyens2 Financial Aid 4 08-23-2010 09:40 AM
Questions :) Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2010 10:27 PM
Questions.. kwyhan Academics 7 06-15-2010 09:52 PM
Course Questions RyanC Academics 6 06-10-2010 10:07 AM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM

OSAP questions

Old 08-18-2008 at 08:06 PM   #46
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaster12 View Post
nosferatu - thank you so much that just clarified everything.

i just did online banking and transfered my "balance due" to mcmaster university. i selected pay now (auguest 18) and pay all. i didnt post dated the money to september 1st because i thought if i do it now if anything i can still fix.
You are welcome!

I believe you did the right thing by paying a little earlier and not postdating, on the remote chance that the bank is making a mistake...or runs into technical difficulties.
Old 08-27-2008 at 08:25 PM   #47
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I red on this site: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/osapnewmain.html#quic k

This:
Quote:
Important!!! OSAP loans are interest free while you are registered in full time studies (minimum 60% course load per term; 40% per term for students with a permanent disability). It is your responsibility to update your full-time student status with the NSLSC (and/or bank holding your government loans negotiated prior to 2000). Each year, you are required to complete a Continuation of Interest-Free Status/Confirmation of Enrolment (Schedule 2) (click here for more information) immediately upon return to your full-time studies if any of the following situations apply:
- you did not/will not apply for government loans for the current year
- you applied but were not approved for government loan funding for the current year

Can someone shed some light on what exactly this means? Mainly the
(minimum 60% course load per term; 40% per term for students with a permanent disability) part. I'm in Engineering and I'm taking 37 units in total. 17.5 first term and 19.5 second term. This is enough right?

Last edited by khaotic : 08-27-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2008 at 08:55 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yes, I believe 37 is an engineers full course load. So 60% of that or 23 credits is what you need to take in order to keep your OSAP loan interest free. So, for your second year you can take 23 credits and still no collect interest on your OSAP loan.
Old 08-27-2008 at 09:52 PM   #49
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

This is confusing...so, I've already checked off OSAP in my payment agreement and it's deducted a fair amount from my payment agreement. I thought this means I already got my OSAP or something...

Also, I don't have a bank account that has cheque, if i were to order cheques it would take sometime before I get it and it'd mostlikely be too late. What am i supposed to do =/
Old 08-27-2008 at 09:55 PM   #50
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
This is confusing...so, I've already checked off OSAP in my payment agreement and it's deducted a fair amount from my payment agreement. I thought this means I already got my OSAP or something...

Also, I don't have a bank account that has cheque, if i were to order cheques it would take sometime before I get it and it'd mostlikely be too late. What am i supposed to do =/
Krusenik, all you need to do is get your direct deposit info/slip from your bank and that would suffice as a void cheque. It was also mentioned in this thread that apparently we're not old enough to get cheque books or something?
Old 08-27-2008 at 09:56 PM   #51
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

UMMM you guys I have a question - AGAIN. Some people already answered me about this, but I just wondered what everyone else thought

--
I was just wondering what's the "Millenium / Ontario Access Grant"? Is that part of OSAP too? (I'm getting it from OSAP, I think) But the term "grant" confuses me, does that mean I don't have to pay it back? Most of my OSAP comees from "Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan" though so..

Also, I know that we can pick up OSAP starting from September 2nd, but I just checked my OSAP online on the OSAP site, and it said the negotiable date for me is on Sept 4th. And that the loan installment cannot be released before that date.. So does that mean I can't pick up my loan on the 2nd, but only on the 4th?

Thank you so much.
--
Old 08-27-2008 at 10:27 PM   #52
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yes, I believe 37 is an engineers full course load. So 60% of that or 23 credits is what you need to take in order to keep your OSAP loan interest free. So, for your second year you can take 23 credits and still no collect interest on your OSAP loan.
I'm confused. So how many credits should I be taking each term? You sure I'm ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
UMMM you guys I have a question - AGAIN. Some people already answered me about this, but I just wondered what everyone else thought

--
I was just wondering what's the "Millenium / Ontario Access Grant"? Is that part of OSAP too? (I'm getting it from OSAP, I think) But the term "grant" confuses me, does that mean I don't have to pay it back? Most of my OSAP comees from "Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan" though so..

Also, I know that we can pick up OSAP starting from September 2nd, but I just checked my OSAP online on the OSAP site, and it said the negotiable date for me is on Sept 4th. And that the loan installment cannot be released before that date.. So does that mean I can't pick up my loan on the 2nd, but only on the 4th?

Thank you so much.
--
Ya I would like to know this Millenium / Ontario Access Grant is too :S
Old 08-27-2008 at 10:55 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

It doesn't matter how much you are taking each term as long as you have 23 in total.
Old 08-27-2008 at 11:24 PM   #54
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
Krusenik, all you need to do is get your direct deposit info/slip from your bank and that would suffice as a void cheque. It was also mentioned in this thread that apparently we're not old enough to get cheque books or something?
you should be able to get cheques, even with a student account ,neways thanks for the info
Old 08-28-2008 at 12:09 AM   #55
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Okay so we have to supply ID to pick up OSAP. When I check the OSAP section of MUGSI, it says that my first given name and last name must exactly match the ID I supply... My SIN card has my middle initials, and my passport doesn't, but I should be okay, right?
Old 08-28-2008 at 12:53 AM   #56
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

i'm pretty sure we're old enough...i planned to order cheques at one point and the bank people had no problem with it. but anyway, yeah just go to a teller and tell them that u need your direct deposit information in order to pick up your osap loan. they'll know what to give u.

Old 08-28-2008 at 03:38 PM   #57
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Hi,
This post cleared up most of the questions I had. But I don't completely understand how Q.E. II scholarship works. I mean, is the money from Q.E. II directly added to our student accounts like the McMaster entrance scholarship, or will we get that money along with osap? Thanks to anyone who can clear this up.
Old 08-28-2008 at 08:50 PM   #58
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

It's added in the McMaster Scholarship part of your payment agreement. I think it's because it's free money while OSAP is a loan. So they don't want to mix it up.
Old 08-29-2008 at 12:51 PM   #59
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Oh yeah, so... I applied for OSAP around June 13th, before the QEII June 20th due date. But... QEII hasn't shown up whatsoever on my OSAP entitlement on either the OSAP website, or my MUGSI profile. Is it because I've already received ten thousand from OSAP and cannot receive anymore money?
Old 09-04-2008 at 03:03 PM   #60
tristic

Liked: 0 Times

Hi everyone! I had a question, maybe someone's asked it before, but I haven't seen it so far in this tread. So...

What do I do with the documents I get once I pick up my OSAP? The lady who was helping me didn't tell me anything, and I didn't think to ask at the time, but hopefully someone'll be able to answer me. Also, once everything's done, what happens? Is that all? I just sit back until December/January or whenever I have to pick up the next 40% of my loan?

Thanks for any help that you can give me!