MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
Major in Commerce, Minor in Biology goodnews.inc Academics 38 06-22-2009 05:04 PM
Major Computer Science, Minor ??? Marty42 Academics 2 03-17-2009 02:17 PM
Picking Your Major sinthusized Academics 2 10-25-2008 07:40 PM
Major, Minor... Almurnith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 08-24-2008 01:31 PM

Picking a Major and Minor

Old 01-07-2008 at 06:24 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Haha. True.

And we do appreciate what you're doing!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-08-2008 at 11:31 PM   #17
panic_attack

Liked: 0 Times

started off majoring in commerce and feeling good about it.
decided to minor in computer science in 2nd year.
started hating computer science in 3rd year.
started hating my major in 4th year.
about to graduate with a bs degree.
Old 01-10-2008 at 08:04 AM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

bs degree?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-20-2008 at 01:05 PM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Bachelor of Science I believe
Old 04-03-2008 at 01:42 PM   #20
blairke

I'm in first year humanities, and my marks weren't overly spectacular lol, do we have to pick a major? and if so, what happens if say we dont get accepted into one?
Old 04-03-2008 at 07:36 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

blairke, i'm not exactly postitive if the 'deadline' for picking a major has passed for this year or not.

however, the way it works is you are given three options, of which you pick what you would like your major to be. depending on your marks, you will be accepted into one or none. my first year marks weren't too good either, so i ended up with my third choice.

but, i changed my major the summer between second and third year, and with better grades i got into the program i wanted. every year when you pick courses from second to fourth year you declare your major.

i think there is an option of you being 'undeclared' but i'm not entirely positive. i suggest, that you go to the drop in counselling offered by the faculty of humanities, as they are going to be able to answer all of your questions.

Old 04-15-2008 at 03:05 PM   #22
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

hey guys... im going to mac next year. and i was looking through the course calendar to decide what kind of electives i would take...

i think id like to minor in either geography or japanese...

ideally, i'd like to take something im interested in.. and also something easy to boost my GPA for grad school admissions...

are geography courses generally easy???
Old 04-15-2008 at 03:09 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Japanese is supposed to be very difficult.

Some of the geos are fairly easy (there are 'core' geos for geo students, and 'elective' ones that are for all students). the elective ones are things like natural disasters, explorers, gemstones etc and have a reputation of being easy. but because of that reputation are hard to get into until you're in 3rd or 4th year.

Old 04-15-2008 at 03:16 PM   #24
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Japanese is supposed to be very difficult.

Some of the geos are fairly easy (there are 'core' geos for geo students, and 'elective' ones that are for all students). the elective ones are things like natural disasters, explorers, gemstones etc and have a reputation of being easy. but because of that reputation are hard to get into until you're in 3rd or 4th year.
what im really interested in... are the urban planning related geo courses... like... geography of the human environment, transportation geography, urban issues, urban housing etc. have you heard anything about those??

thanks!!
Old 04-15-2008 at 09:00 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

transportation is cross-listed with engineering, so it's supposed to be very math related. if you're not in Eng you're supposed to find it very difficult.

I can ask about the others tho? I have a bunch of friends in Geo

Old 04-16-2008 at 07:40 PM   #26
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I have a friend who is into Urban Planning and took all the geo courses, said that in general they were all superb and really interesting. He didn't mention specific courses, but said he was enjoying them. I suppose if you have a passion for it, then the enjoyment will follow suite
Old 04-17-2008 at 02:59 PM   #27
davey
Elite Member

awesome!! thanks!!
Old 05-06-2008 at 04:32 PM   #28
cbrasch

majors
hey I was just wondering if anyone knew the date when we are supposed to know what program (major) we got accepted to?
thanks
Old 05-06-2008 at 04:59 PM   #29
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Hey, Pretty sure we find out our program when final marks are released - so for non-graduating undergrads, that would be May 30 at the latest.
Old 05-06-2008 at 08:00 PM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It will be in time to pick your courses for next year, but I am not sure if it would be May 30th as previously suggested. That's the day final grades get released for non-graduating students...there may be some process time needed inbetween.