MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
Major in Commerce, Minor in Biology goodnews.inc Academics 38 06-22-2009 05:04 PM
Major Computer Science, Minor ??? Marty42 Academics 2 03-17-2009 02:17 PM
Picking Your Major sinthusized Academics 2 10-25-2008 07:40 PM
Major, Minor... Almurnith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 08-24-2008 01:31 PM

Picking a Major and Minor

Old 05-22-2008 at 05:15 AM   #31
Sanduni

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athyrai View Post
Hey Locke,

Biochemistry is intense. Lots of work. It's harder than the other science programs (biopsych is probably the only other program that is as bad as biochem). The specialization programs are harder than the core program because specializations have more required courses, but most students switch into core after second year. I really like biochemistry. The professors are awesome and the labs can be fun. It's a demanding program, but if you like the material, you should definitely go for it.

As for getting in, it wasn't too hard when I applied. But they have changed it so that it's a limited enrollment program. You need to have at least a 6 to get in, but that might guarantee that you get in, so the higher the better!

You can check out the undergraduate calendar for more specific details about getting in: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_472.htm. The specializations are harder to get into than the core program, so if you want to do a specialization you need a higher average. Also check out the courses that you have to take, it'll give you a better feel for what you are going to be studying for the rest of your undergrad.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask me
I'm really interested in going to biochemistry too, but I really don't know which specialization (genetic engineering or molecular biology) to pick. Are you in a specialization ? They are amost the same except for one chemical engineering course people in the genetic eng. program have to take second year. I was wondering if you know anything about that course/ any more info about the specializations? Thanks a lot!
Old 05-26-2008 at 03:32 PM   #32
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,
I'm also in biochemistry doing the specialization in molecular biology. For second year, the only difference between the two specialization is the chemical engineering course. From what I have heard from my friends that have taken it, there was math in it, but not really difficult. I remember that the exam was open book, so you could bring your notes in. From the two friends that I know that took it this year, both got a 12. so I guess its not too hard if you're good in math

After second year, there are a few courses that are different, look at it. So it really depends which set of those courses you are more interested. I remember speaking with the biochem advisor about which specialization to pick, and she just told me its just the courses that are different, and to pick according to which type of courses i like more. Both specializations will still be enough to get in to grad school, etc. Molecular bio one has a few more electives i think. So, i guess look at the course lists, and see which ones you like more. I've just finished 2nd year, so i am not sure how 3rd and 4th is yet. hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2008 at 06:27 AM   #33
Sanduni

yes it does, thanks a lot!now I just have to figure out if I would be interested in those courses based on the one line of description in the course calendar hahah.
Old 05-27-2008 at 12:28 PM   #34
Eva C
Elite Member

well aside from reading the description in the course calendar, the only other way is to talk to upper years that have taken it or if you have the time, speak with the professors.
Old 05-30-2008 at 01:10 PM   #35
Afrisa

How does one go about actually picking their major? I just found out the ones I'm "Eligible for", but I can't find any place to actually choose one.

Thanks!
Afrisa
Old 05-30-2008 at 01:12 PM   #36
Eva C
Elite Member

once you find out the ones you are eligible for, you can start thinking about which one you want. When you register for courses this year, before yo do, there wil lbe a page where they will ask which one you have choosen. That's when you actually select the one you want.
Old 05-30-2008 at 03:36 PM   #37
Afrisa

Is there a spot reserved for us in each of the programs we're eligible for now? Or would it be on a first come first serve basis (ie we should all rush to register for courses when it becomes available)?

Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2008 at 04:50 PM   #38
Eva C
Elite Member

i am not sure Afrisa. but i would assume that if you are eligible then you should have a spot in it for you. i just register when it is avaliable. lol. If you want a definate answer, I would suggest emailing an academic advisor. sorry, i am not sure.