MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching life science majors simsandmax First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 01-14-2013 03:27 PM
how is my course planning Elaine Guo Academics 13 06-24-2012 11:37 AM
Planning course selections kbrad1694 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-09-2012 07:21 PM
Switching Majors Question Danielle.g Academics 1 11-05-2011 07:45 PM
timetable planning sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-10-2009 08:53 AM

Planning on switching majors

Old 07-03-2013 at 07:58 PM   #1
justin1234

Liked: 0 Times

Planning on switching majors
Hi, I am coming to McMaster next year and I've been accepted for Social Science I. I want to switch my major to Business I the second year (assuming that's when you pick your major). However, on SOLAR, some the prerequisite courses for Business I require me to be accepted to Business I in order to apply (like the computer science COMMERCE 1E03 and some other math courses). What do I do?

Also many of the math courses are full that I need, is there another way for me to get registered into them?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013 at 09:06 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1234 View Post
Hi, I am coming to McMaster next year and I've been accepted for Social Science I. I want to switch my major to Business I the second year (assuming that's when you pick your major). However, on SOLAR, some the prerequisite courses for Business I require me to be accepted to Business I in order to apply (like the computer science COMMERCE 1E03 and some other math courses). What do I do?

Also many of the math courses are full that I need, is there another way for me to get registered into them?

Thanks!
There's a document online that states the requirements to transfer in from another faculty, but I'd recommend you contact them now to see if that can be done before September. It's not always possible due to space, but if it is it'll make things easier in the long run. I've heard it's pretty competitive to get in for second year from another faculty.

justin1234 says thanks to starfish for this post.

rpg51 likes this.
Old 07-03-2013 at 10:04 PM   #3
justin1234

o.o thanks a bunch, I found the document, it says i cannot post urls until 5 posts, but thats the link ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/apply/internal-transfer-to-first-year/

I will try and contact them to see if I can transfer this following semester, but I highly doubt it. For an Business I transfer it says you need both Math 1F03 and Stats 1L03 because I did not take Calc and Data Management in highschool. But how do I take these courses, I am not even enrolled at McMaster yet. And it says I must have not completed all the required courses of the Business I program, what does that mean...

The 7.0 C.A seems tough though :L, as I heard a 80% in highschool is roughly around a 60% in university.

Sorry for blabbering, you don't have to answer me xD I will call in tomorrow

Thanks
Old 07-03-2013 at 10:34 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1234 View Post
o.o thanks a bunch, I found the document, it says i cannot post urls until 5 posts, but thats the link ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/apply/internal-transfer-to-first-year/

I will try and contact them to see if I can transfer this following semester, but I highly doubt it. For an Business I transfer it says you need both Math 1F03 and Stats 1L03 because I did not take Calc and Data Management in highschool. But how do I take these courses, I am not even enrolled at McMaster yet. And it says I must have not completed all the required courses of the Business I program, what does that mean...

The 7.0 C.A seems tough though :L, as I heard a 80% in highschool is roughly around a 60% in university.

Sorry for blabbering, you don't have to answer me xD I will call in tomorrow

Thanks
No, I mean you should call and see if you can start in Business I in September, rather than social sciences. And then you would just take all of the standard Business I courses along with everyone else.

If that doesn't work, at the end of first year you can either transfer into Business I and start again from first year, or apply to transfer directly into second year. If you're transferring into business I, then you can't have already completed the requirements of that year, because then what courses would you take?

If you want to transfer into second year, you need these courses: http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/app...aster-program/

There is no conversion from high school grades to university grades. An 80 in high school is not a 60 in university. For one thing, high school marks aren't standardized and there are huge variations. For another, it's very student-specific. A 7.0 CA shouldn't be hard at all, if you put in a modicum of effort.

justin1234 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 07-03-2013 at 10:56 PM   #5
BrownTown993

Liked: 6 Times

I transferred from Soc Sci (Econ) to Commerce this year. Follow this:
http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/app...aster-program/

and get a 7.0 CA and you should be fine.

justin1234 says thanks to BrownTown993 for this post.
Old 07-03-2013 at 11:04 PM   #6
justin1234

Thanks, but when it says 3 units from the computer science and the math courses, does it only mean 1 course of each section because they give you 3 units each?

And did you have to take both Math 1F03(Calc) and Math 1K03 or just 1 of them (they were both in the same section).
Old 07-04-2013 at 12:07 AM   #7
BrownTown993

Liked: 6 Times

It means take one 3 credit course in each section. So for math you need 3 credits so (Math 1M03), and then 3 credits for credits for comp sci (Comp sci 1ta3). I took Math 1K03 and then Math 1m03. I only had to take Math 1K03 because I got a high enough mark to skip math 1F03 and take 1M03 the semester after. I think you need a 7 or higher to skip to Math 1M03. Math 1K03 is for people who didn't take calculus or advanced functions in high school and 1F03 is for people who took advanced functions but not calculus.

justin1234 says thanks to BrownTown993 for this post.