MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Greyhound Lockout nerual Automotive & Transportation 1 08-10-2010 02:22 PM
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Potential Increase in Dental Plan Fees Boccaccio MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-02-2010 08:04 AM
Potential TA strike fasailuddin General Discussion 72 10-24-2009 10:47 PM
Attention Potential Graduates! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-24-2008 12:23 PM

Potential strike...

Old 08-24-2009 at 09:09 PM   #16
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

great. i didnt offer my accpetance to york cuz of the strike and now mcmaster is going to have a strike. just my luck.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:17 PM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizliz View Post
great. i didnt offer my accpetance to york cuz of the strike and now mcmaster is going to have a strike. just my luck.
Its clearly not the same kind of a strike.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:18 PM   #18
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

it doesnt matter. i would like to avoid strikes. thank u very much
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:31 PM   #19
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

do you think this will effect course selection for term 2? I haven't got my term 2 schedule finalized yet..
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:35 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
If you can't drop/add your courses after Sept 1...does that mean the drop/add deadline will just...poof? Now you have no 2nd chances?

Or does it mean the drop/add will be extended beyond the normal length, until the strike remedies itself? Which means epic fail, people registering for courses 2 weeks before midterms and epic failing.
Extension of the drop/add deadline is up to the registrar. They'll most likely have to take it one day at a time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
do you think this will effect course selection for term 2? I haven't got my term 2 schedule finalized yet..
I'm very sure that the strike (If one were to occur) would be over by term 2.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:36 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Since we're talking about Canadian Auto Workers on Campus, does anyone find that those big black trucks that drive around campus look just like those Russian trucks in every world war 2 movie that drop communist troops off? I wonder what's actually inside of them :p.

Maegs likes this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:42 PM   #22
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Since we're talking about Canadian Auto Workers on Campus, does anyone find that those big black trucks that drive around campus look just like those Russian trucks in every world war 2 movie that drop communist troops off? I wonder what's actually inside of them :p.
You sure do have an active imagination
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:54 PM   #23
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
As if to answer your question, MUGSI is down yet again. One would really think that after five or so years of use somebody would have figured out that the current capacity isn't enough to handle the traffic that invariably comes every term.
Mate it costs $20-30 Million to upgrade the server, atleast according to the registrars office. But I can shamelessly plug in a thread that is gathering cheaper upgrade options for the MUGSI System! Check it out here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2258 8&
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note does UTS full time staff(Older ones) count as part of the administrative and support staff that come under CAW? If so that would seriously hinder the massive massive MSU project I'm working on :( *sigh*

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-24-2009 at 09:57 PM   #24
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Someone should come up with strike insurance for the school. Then again, people would strike constantly. How about: times are tough, don't expect your job to be the perfect career all the time. You are getting paid nicely compared with workers in other countries(even US is not as good in some respects).

Of course, now someone will say that workers deserve safe/reasonable working conditions and wages. I agree. But you should maybe be happy you have a job... A friend of mine has been applying everywhere in sight all summer, still hasn't got one single call.

tl;dr: I don't want to see how it felt at York, or even a part of it
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:00 PM   #25
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

I believe any university with half a brain would avoid another York situation at all costs, mainly because it benefits no one. (and utterly destroys a university's image)

Mac itself has stated that classes will remain open if the strike continues into first semester. Like Ownaginatios said, more of an annoyance.

EDIT: Also, this present quarrel doesn't encompass nearly as many academic staff as the York situation did. It's not an identical situation.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:01 PM   #26
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Mate it costs $20-30 Million to upgrade the server, atleast according to the registrars office
Right, and so until that is done perhaps allowing paper registration would ease the load. If the servers aren't good enough, they shouldn't be in place. Just seems like something that should have been taken care of in the planning stage.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:06 PM   #27
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
Right, and so until that is done perhaps allowing paper registration would ease the load. If the servers aren't good enough, they shouldn't be in place. Just seems like something that should have been taken care of in the planning stage.
Paper Registration? :0

Lol that would be an epic epic fail considering we have around 21,000 students by now and that number will increase every year. It would be massive massive lineups, confusion, administrative mishaps. I mean the amount of good manual labour it would take to collaborate and run such a system is enormous. If it was like 2000-3000 students maybe!

But then again why should we go backwards? The world is all about innovation and moving forward sir!

The problem with planning obviously was that when it came into place MUGSI(Around 2000) Mac had much much lesser number of students. The number of undergrads has gone up since then by an unprecedented and unpredictable amount. The Engineers who designed the original Solar probably had no idea this was gonna happen, plus you are talking about 2000; just think back to what technology used to be like back then(your Pc for example!)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-24-2009 at 10:13 PM   #28
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Paper Registration? :0

Lol that would be an epic epic fail considering we have around 21,000 students by now and that number will increase every year.
Maybe not if paper were allowed in conjunction with SOLAR.

Quote:
The world is all about innovation and moving forward sir!
Allegedly that would cost $20-30 million dollars. Considering how cheap the university has been about the quality of work on such rennovations as BSB, I'd doubt they'd spring for servers.

Quote:
Mac had much much lesser number of students.
It was at about 15 000 in 2000. An extra 6 000 I'd hope shouldn't be enough to cause the types of problems we've seen, and I'd imagine that the university plans well ahead on its enrollment numbers. MUGSI has always been a lame dog and people have been wanting to call the vet (with his needle) for a long time now :-)

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 08-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:14 PM   #29
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Someone should come up with strike insurance for the school. Then again, people would strike constantly. How about: times are tough, don't expect your job to be the perfect career all the time. You are getting paid nicely compared with workers in other countries(even US is not as good in some respects).

Of course, now someone will say that workers deserve safe/reasonable working conditions and wages. I agree. But you should maybe be happy you have a job... A friend of mine has been applying everywhere in sight all summer, still hasn't got one single call.
I don't think it's fair to compare yourself to workers in other countries. If that were the case, they could claw our minimum wage to $5/hour and the workers should be happy that they simply have a job.

Minimum wage job isn't exactly going to cut it for a single mother supporting two children just by working full-time.

My cousin, a recent law school grad, said that during the recession a lot of people are afraid to ask for more money. However, if you have the qualifications for a position and deserve it, then ask for the increase in pay and you may get it. She got hired during the recession, went "Shang Hai" during the pay negotiations ... and the employers gave her even more money than she asked for.

Should they be happy that they still have jobs? Yes, of course. But if they're losing important things such as their pensions and their job security is at risk, then I don't exactly blame the union for their actions.

Last edited by Lij : 08-24-2009 at 10:20 PM.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:16 PM   #30
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm wondering about the textbook thing, is there a reason why we'd have to purchase textbooks now as opposed to waiting? Don't students work at Titles? How would this strike affect textbook purchases?
Yes, students work at Titles at cash and in the general merchandise departments as part-time staff. However, pretty much all of the full time staff at Titles are part of the "non-teaching staff" that may potentially strike. This means that Titles, if open at all during the strike, would operate with a skeleton staff comprised of managers (only 3 or 4 of the full time staff) and the aforementioned student staff.

Imagine unmanned departments in the bookstore when you're trying to get some help. In other words, it's a big deal.