MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
residence GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-21-2010 12:27 PM
Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room Mic Mac Residence & Housing 23 03-27-2010 02:37 AM
FCE and Residence moonlitnight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-21-2010 01:35 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Pros and Cons of Each Residence

Old 07-06-2008 at 11:49 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.h View Post
I think they had to hire the third CA for each floor when they realized that Hedden was going to have triples.
Yup, Nicole's right. When they found out Hedden was going to be made into triples they had to hire more RLS staff than they had already hired for the year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-07-2008 at 08:22 AM   #16
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
2005-06 Hedden had triples and 3 CAs for most of the floors
2006-07 Hedden was comprised of mostly doubles and 2 CAs per floor
2007-08 Hedden had triples and 3 CAs for most floors
2008-09 Hedden has DOUBLES and 2 CAs per floor - and your HCA is my cousin!

The keep switching around the rooms and adding more beds when they mess up on their room assignments and accept too many people. The rooms are supposed to be doubles but they will be transformed once again if too many have been accepted into residence. But, I'm pretty sure they're going back to doubles.. well that's the word on the street at least
Old 07-07-2008 at 09:50 AM   #17
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
See I've been told by people in Security that it's going to be triples again this year. I don't know what to tell first years dammit!!

Old 07-07-2008 at 10:48 AM   #18
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Great article!!
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:08 AM   #19
Eva C
Elite Member
Program: Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Les Prince Hall 613 (06/07), Mary. E. Keyes 410(07/08), Brandon Hall (08/09), Les Prince (09/10)

Liked: 3 Times
sorry about not getting to you in time to add to the list what i thought, but i think you got most of it covered, pretty good
the only other con i would say about bates is, you have no microwave. :(
and i think another con to the ones w/ your own washroom is, bringing your own toilet paper, haha depending on how fast you use, that's another expensive right there!
and yes. connie in les prince is definately a pro! i miss it. haha.
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:12 AM   #20
Eva C
Elite Member
Residence: Les Prince Hall 613 (06/07), Mary. E. Keyes 410(07/08), Brandon Hall (08/09), Les Prince (09/10)

almost forgot. for the les prince white walls.. i actually really liked it. I lived on 6th floor, so whoever is living on it. you get higher ceilings!!! alot higher. it makes the room look HUGE! i was so happy with that. just another pro for 6 floor ppl. but a con if you have to walk up 6 floors if elevators are down.
and for the window not opening up that much, that is true. But there is a hidden button in side the window if you stick your hands through it, that you can press, and it will open 1/2 way instead of 1/4 that it usually does if you just slide it. hope that helps. explore for the hidden button!
Old 07-07-2008 at 12:23 PM   #21
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Its okay Eva! We weren't expecting them to get their res assignments until the 15th anyway!
I added in those cons for Bates though! Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008 at 02:55 PM   #22
Eva C
Elite Member

oh and i almost forgot. haha.i just keep coming up with things to add to this. haha.
for keyes, bates and les prince. the con of having to do chores of either cleaing washroom, kitchen and living room area. It really takes up some time during your week and then obviously more time if your roommates don't do it and you have to talk to them and stuff, etc, etc. but that's what you get for the comfort of your own personal things to use.
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:01 PM   #23
newsha
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second
Residence: HEDDEN

Liked: Liked 5 Times
great article.

i'm actually going to be in hedden this year and i'm in a double!
everyone else i've talked to/met through the hedden facebook group is in a double as well... i haven't heard anyone mention anything about a triple at all.

i don't know if that helps but just letting you know
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:19 PM   #24
jrautins
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Second
Residence: McKay

Liked: 0 Times
hey guys, anyone able to give a little more insight about mckay? the pros and cons list for it were kinda vague. thanks!
Old 07-08-2008 at 08:10 AM   #25
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Sorry Jrautins,
There wasn't much to say about McKay as cons, I mean it's a good residence, close to the Arts Quad, DBAC and the field, it has a tunnel to commons so in the winter you don't actually have to go outside. It's mainly doubles which is often a plus, some of the rooms are lucky enough to have a sky light, it has an elevator that works and it's wheelchair accessible. It doesn't have AC and you have to share your bathroom with your neighbours. There isn't much more to say in regards to the building itself.

Last edited by kokosas : 07-08-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2008 at 09:34 AM   #26
jag6232
Program: Political Science
Year: First
Residence: Woodstock Hall

So... bad lighting in Woodstock.. how bad are we talking about?
Fixable with another light? Or just bad placement of the lights they give us?
Old 07-08-2008 at 10:10 AM   #27
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Bad placement of the lights you are given, it can be fixed with your own personal lamp. In Woodstock there is a long light over the closet area which is fine for one side of the room but the only other light is at your desk which doesn't light that much of the rest of the room. If you can get a stand up lamp or something you would probably fair better. Wait till when you move in that way you can see what space you're looking at.

Old 07-08-2008 at 11:40 AM   #28
Afrisa
Faculty: Science
Year: First

Hedden only has 5 floors. It's hotter on top!
Hedden also has some random rooms with completely private washrooms. You'll have to keep it clean and provide toilet paper yourself though. ^^

Great article!

Last edited by Afrisa : 07-08-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2008 at 09:18 AM   #29
mizosoup
Faculty: Arts & Science

This may seem like a stupid question but I come from Australia where we don't heat all of our rooms (I hear thats what happens in Canada)

By "No AC" in Bates, does that mean no heating and I'm going to freeze in Winter?

Article Tools