MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
residence GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-21-2010 12:27 PM
Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room Mic Mac Residence & Housing 23 03-27-2010 02:37 AM
FCE and Residence moonlitnight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-21-2010 01:35 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Pros and Cons of Each Residence

Old 07-09-2008 at 09:22 AM   #30
KaylaMarie
Program: Linguistics
Year: Other
Residence: Moulton

Liked: 3 Times
No AC means no Air-conditioning ...meaning it'll be HOT in the summer/early fall. All of the rooms are heated in the winter (at least that's my understanding)
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-09-2008 at 11:48 AM   #31
Jennemb
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 0 Times
Can anyone tell me about single rooms in moulton?? And does anyone knnow where I can see some pictures of a single room in moulton??
Old 07-09-2008 at 06:07 PM   #32
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Depending on the weather your room isn't really "HOT" but considering this summer has already been really warm it would be a safe bet to bring a fan if you're moving into a residence with no AC

JennemB,
I can't show you pictures but I can tell you that I've never been in a single in Moulton that isn't spacious. They're one of the largest singles on campus, and as with all Moulton rooms you have plenty of storage spaces. Often you have nice big windows too. Stop by on Welcome Day and see if you can check out your room style so you have an idea of what to bring!

Jennemb says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-11-2008 at 12:38 PM   #33
bankyburns
Account Disabled by User
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: McMaster Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Is Hedden really mostly triples, cause I found that it was majority doubles and the triples were only in the corner rooms?
The number of bunk and loft triples in Hedden has varied year to year. Last year many of them were removed, and for this year the rest are going to be removed, thus Hedden will once more be predominantly doubles.
Old 07-11-2008 at 01:03 PM   #34
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankyburns View Post
The number of bunk and loft triples in Hedden has varied year to year. Last year many of them were removed, and for this year the rest are going to be removed, thus Hedden will once more be predominantly doubles.

See this is the big debate that's going on about Hedden because I've heard from people who work on campus with administration that Hedden is again going to be triples but there are others who say it'sgoing to be doubles. I guess we're going to have to wait to find out.

Old 07-11-2008 at 01:13 PM   #35
bankyburns
Account Disabled by User

I'm secretly lurking on this board while I work for the housing department so....

If I say something is so, chances are it is!
Old 07-12-2008 at 12:07 AM   #36
mizosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Depending on the weather your room isn't really "HOT" but considering this summer has already been really warm it would be a safe bet to bring a fan if you're moving into a residence with no AC
define hot/warm...i'm coming over for exchange from australia so your hot may be my nice in which case i'm set =D
Old 07-12-2008 at 09:25 AM   #37
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Uh chances are you'll be quite comfy in our climate. By hot I mean 30 C and up which it has been reaching the last little while. "Warm" for us is usually 25-28 C depending on how much you like the warm weather. In the winter it can get as cold as -30 C but that doesn't usually last too long. -10 C is comfortably cold for most people. Again, kinda depends on your tolerance. But the upside is I doubt you'll encounter any giant spiders in your house! They tend to be very small over here!

Old 07-12-2008 at 10:17 AM   #38
bankyburns
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
See this is the big debate that's going on about Hedden because I've heard from people who work on campus with administration that Hedden is again going to be triples but there are others who say it'sgoing to be doubles. I guess we're going to have to wait to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankyburns View Post
I'm secretly lurking on this board while I work for the housing department so....
If I say something is so, chances are it is!
Sorry. The above was a little short and rude of me. :( I should explain. I asked around, and the plan is definately for Hedden to be all doubles. And I think they just did room assignments so...

That led me to believe that it was a done deal. Anybody been assigned to a triple in Hedden?
Old 07-17-2008 at 06:52 PM   #39
Gallaj
Year: Alumni

Residence Myths and Stereotypes
Although this is an interesting analysis of each residence, please keep in mind that it is the people within each residence who make the residence what it is. Every residence has been called the "party residence" with "problems on each floor", and thus, it is impossible to categorize each specific residence.
Old 07-17-2008 at 07:22 PM   #40
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

You're totally right Gallaj but students still want to know as much about the building as they can and knowing these things can help them when they pack for move in.

And every res has it's problems, but you can't deny that Brandon is notorious for them.

Old 07-17-2008 at 08:25 PM   #41
Gallaj

Yes, every residence has different issues to deal with. That I agree with. Fortunately, I can vouch for Brandon Hall as not being as notorious as outsiders believe it to be.
Old 07-17-2008 at 10:41 PM   #42
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because that's not the Brandon Hall I've known for the past few years.

Old 07-18-2008 at 07:43 AM   #43
Gallaj

That's fair enough. Living (and working) in Brandon is completely different than everyone things it would be. Despite the size, the community feeling is unbelievable, if started off right. I hope that those first years going into Brandon are able to see/experience that! Cheers!
Old 08-23-2008 at 02:25 AM   #44
FrankMiljour
Program: Civil Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: Hollywood Ave.

Liked: 4 Times
Frank Believes
I actually agree entirely with Gallaj. I mean, it is the biggest residence, you should expect the parties and 'bad stuff' to be upscaled in proportion. However, it's nowhere near bad enough to be called anything close to intollerable.

As far as I'm aware, there was only one truly disgusting incident that I could not believe. 2 fantastically halarious incidents, and.. well a few nights where people didn't know their limits and EFRT was needed. Nothing too crazy.

As far as being over enthusiastic during frosh week, what's wrong with that. We're all just as proud as anyone else coming to university for the first time and we want to show it. And to show it, you need to be loud. It's not our fault we have up to approx 500 more people screaming as loud as they can compared to some of the other residences.. Last I checked, spirit was a good thing.

(PS. If you know how I can get ahold of the picture taken at Mac Connector last year of all of the '11 year standing on the field that was promised to all of us, that would be fantastic.)

Article Tools