MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
residence GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-21-2010 12:27 PM
Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room Mic Mac Residence & Housing 23 03-27-2010 02:37 AM
FCE and Residence moonlitnight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-21-2010 01:35 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Pros and Cons of Each Residence

Old 07-07-2009 at 10:27 PM   #75
killza
Program: Biopsych
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 105 Times
Hm.. I actually got assigned to Brandon hall, i then rented a off campus housing due to the nature of double rooms, then i started to regret my decision but now after seeing this, I'm starting to unregret my decision.. I'm not excatly the party type at all =\ but i do love to meet new people... I guess SOCS will definitely help?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-08-2009 at 01:24 AM   #76
wonie9024
Program: Health Sciences
Year: First
Residence: Edwards

Liked: Liked 2 Times
I'm not sure if this was mentioned already but another con of Eddy's is its lack of AC... somewhat troublesome for the upcoming summer wild nights for both the first and upper years.

However, being an old residence, the rooms are indeed, very spacious, and the location is nice as well (especially for socsci or hummers if your courses are in TGH or CNH) since it's somewhat in the middle of the campus.
Old 07-08-2009 at 01:27 AM   #77
Kevin S
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 128 Times
Yeah, it gets pretty hot during Welcome Week, specifically in the residences that don't have air conditioning. I'd recommend bring a fan or something that can cool you down if you are living in a residence without air conditioning.

~KS
Old 07-08-2009 at 02:27 AM   #78
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Yeah, it gets pretty hot during Welcome Week, specifically in the residences that don't have air conditioning. I'd recommend bring a fan or something that can cool you down if you are living in a residence without air conditioning.

~KS
Or get used to running to the shower to dunk your head in cold water.

xxsumz likes this.
Old 07-08-2009 at 11:53 AM   #79
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonie9024 View Post
I'm not sure if this was mentioned already but another con of Eddy's is its lack of AC... somewhat troublesome for the upcoming summer wild nights for both the first and upper years.

However, being an old residence, the rooms are indeed, very spacious, and the location is nice as well (especially for socsci or hummers if your courses are in TGH or CNH) since it's somewhat in the middle of the campus.
I lived in Edwards and I never had a problem with it having no AC, we had problems with it being too cold in the winter though. My welcome week wasn't particularly warm though so that could have been a factor.

Old 07-08-2009 at 07:03 PM   #80
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They actually do tell people what number they are on the list.

The "unassigned" people are the ones that are guaranteed a residence room.
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification
Old 07-09-2009 at 02:10 PM   #81
smile
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
i thought Mckay had A/C !!
I guess not...
dar n
Old 07-09-2009 at 03:16 PM   #82
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Fans aren't too bad.. and I think we'll be having too much fun and will be too busy to worry too much about the weather
Old 07-09-2009
mcinside
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-09-2009 at 03:43 PM   #83
mcinside
Elite Member
Faculty: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 23 Times
I don't think so, but still, hope you're right!
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:27 PM   #84
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
You'll definitely survive without AC. =p

We're done by the end of April and if you're really heat intolerant, bring a fan.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:33 PM   #85
myoozik
Program: Science

Liked: 42 Times
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but a con in EVERY residence is that you can't leave your door open or prop it open. Many people have said that this reduces the chance for interaction on your floor, but fires would spread slower.

To combat the decreased exposure to people on your floor, I've seen people sit in groups in hallways, prop their door open with their body (which is allowed apparently), or go door to door and knock. Don't be embarrassed to go around and talk to random people, they're just as anxious about meeting people as you are.

xxsumz says thanks to myoozik for this post.

xxsumz likes this.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:39 PM   #86
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

True.. fans aren't THAT bad
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:40 PM   #87
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but a con in EVERY residence is that you can't leave your door open or prop it open. Many people have said that this reduces the chance for interaction on your floor, but fires would spread slower.

To combat the decreased exposure to people on your floor, I've seen people sit in groups in hallways, prop their door open with their body (which is allowed apparently), or go door to door and knock. Don't be embarrassed to go around and talk to random people, they're just as anxious about meeting people as you are.
How I miss those late nights in the hallways of 3rd floor Edwards XD. We use to be there practically every night

The reason why propping doors with your body is (somewhat) allowed, it's not as strict, is because if there is a fire then chances are you would leave and the door would close.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:47 PM   #88
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post

Yeah, if it weren't for the doors being closed (and fireproof, according to a few CAs) a lot of stuff would have been destroyed in the Brandon fire.

Article Tools