MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 114 05-30-2014 10:59 AM
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
Psych 1X03 goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 11-11-2009 07:18 AM
psych 1x03 Alessia First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2009 01:27 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03

Old 07-11-2009 at 02:55 PM   #16
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxtmann View Post
Thanks for the replies! I've been sitting around after selecting my courses and wondering how it's gonna work out. Glad to hear that psych is basically a review each week, get to do the web modules on my own when I have time, scheduling it ridiculous for engineering.
I just want to mention that the web modules are only up for a limited amount of time. Last year, for instance, Dr.Kim would put up two modules for two weeks. It took me pretty long to take notes on the web modules as well. I ended up spending 3 hours on each module. But nonetheless, you are all right. The psych web modules will be very different from math/physics/chem courses

daisy says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 04:41 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I just want to mention that the web modules are only up for a limited amount of time. Last year, for instance, Dr.Kim would put up two modules for two weeks. It took me pretty long to take notes on the web modules as well. I ended up spending 3 hours on each module. But nonetheless, you are all right. The psych web modules will be very different from math/physics/chem courses
Are those modules weekly or bi-weekly?
Old 07-11-2009 at 04:47 PM   #18
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Weekly.

On average, 2 modules will come out every week and these modules will be up for 2 weeks. So if you fall behind, you may end up having to watch 4 modules a week.
Old 07-11-2009 at 04:55 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
Weekly.

On average, 2 modules will come out every week and these modules will be up for 2 weeks. So if you fall behind, you may end up having to watch 4 modules a week.
That's a lot. But you ave to catch up anyway don't you? Cuz of the quizzes and whatnot. I guess that's what time management really is :(
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:13 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's a lot. But you ave to catch up anyway don't you? Cuz of the quizzes and whatnot. I guess that's what time management really is :(
The quizzes will be on the latest modules. It's also important to keep up because the modules are only available for 2 weeks. They will make all the modules available again at the end, but you don't want to write notes for that many modules, it would take you days.
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:16 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

So is it like one module.. then it's quiz the next week type of thing.. or is it more than one module per quiz?
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:22 PM   #22
dsteph
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

its usually 2 modules a week, so 2 modules per quiz...but dont worry about the quizzes, each quiz only has like 4 or 5 short answer questions on it if I remember correctly.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to dsteph for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:24 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteph View Post
its usually 2 modules a week, so 2 modules per quiz...but dont worry about the quizzes, each quiz only has like 4 or 5 short answer questions on it if I remember correctly.
Ooh that doesn't sound too bad Thanks! .. Sorry for the endless questions.. but how long is each module?
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:28 PM   #24
dsteph
Account Disabled by User

the modules last year were about 30 minutes long...and you can pause them to take notes, and watch them as many times as you need to within the 2 week span. I took really detailed notes while I watched the modules and it usually took me 2-3 hours to watch both of them. The modules are super convenient because you can watch them whenever you have time!

Old 07-11-2009 at 06:31 PM   #25
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
the modules last year were about 30 minutes long...and you can pause them to take notes, and watch them as many times as you need to within the 2 week span. I took really detailed notes while I watched the modules and it usually took me 2-3 hours to watch both of them. The modules are super convenient because you can watch them whenever you have time!
Sounds good! and much more convenient than a lecture! 2-3 hours for both doesn't sound too bad either. Thanks dsteph!
Old 07-11-2009 at 07:21 PM   #26
dsteph
Account Disabled by User

No problem! I also really urge psych students to make use of the "experimetrix" element of the course if its offered again this year! Basically, you volunteer to help upper year psych students complete their experiements for class and get marks for it! Last year we had the option to do 2 hours of experimetrix participation, and in return we got either 5 or 10%...I dont remember how much for sure. But every mark helps! You can also continue participating in experimetrix after you get your credit and get paid for your time!

Old 07-11-2009 at 07:57 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ooh yay! sounds awesome! The marks and the money . And of course every but helps!
Old 07-11-2009 at 09:01 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
No problem! I also really urge psych students to make use of the "experimetrix" element of the course if its offered again this year! Basically, you volunteer to help upper year psych students complete their experiements for class and get marks for it! Last year we had the option to do 2 hours of experimetrix participation, and in return we got either 5 or 10%...I dont remember how much for sure. But every mark helps! You can also continue participating in experimetrix after you get your credit and get paid for your time!
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...lines/1X03.pdf

It was 5% OFF the final exam. So really it was worth 2% of your total mark. The quizzes, which are optional, could take off up to 10% from your final exam. So really it's worth 4% of your total mark. But only if it benefits you. If you did better on the exam than on the quizzes, then the quizzes don't count.
Old 07-11-2009 at 09:05 PM   #29
dsteph
Account Disabled by User

oh ya! I totally forgot that they take it off the exam. thanks!
Old 07-12-2009 at 12:14 AM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

That's awesome! That you get a "second chance" in a way.. Just wondering.. what if you do WELL on the quizzes and "experiments" ? Do they add to your exam mark ?