MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to buy text books? ChuanJT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-09-2009 05:47 PM
text books and titles katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-06-2008 01:28 PM

purchasing text books

Old 08-23-2010 at 03:58 PM   #1
knguyens2

Liked: 1 Time

purchasing text books
Can someone please tell me what the latest editions are for these text books:

CHEM 1A03/1AA3
PHYSICS 1B03/1BB3
PSYCH 1X03/1XX3
MATH 1A03/1A3
BIO 1A03/MO3

A few other questions:
is it just one text book used for two terms?
Also, are the text books sold separately from their solution manuals?
And a friend of mine said she didn't buy old books, cause it didn't have a second solution manual, so is there one for each term?
Do you recommend getting an iclicker?
Lastly, what do you recommend, old or new books?

oh, and for your meal plan, do you get a card for that, or is it on your student id card. Can you used the money from your meal plan towards other purchases? like books? My friend said that at her school, she could use that money towards printing and photocopying.

Last edited by knguyens2 : 08-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:18 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyens2 View Post
Can someone please tell me what the latest editions are for these text books:

CHEM 1A03/1AA3
PHYSICS 1B03/1BB3
PSYCH 1X03/1XX3
MATH 1A03/1A3
BIO 1A03/MO3

A few other questions:
is it just one text book used for two terms?
Also, are the text books sold separately from their solution manuals?
And a friend of mine said she didn't buy old books, cause it didn't have a second solution manual, so is there one for each term?
Do you recommend getting an iclicker?
Lastly, what do you recommend, old or new books?

oh, and for your meal plan, do you get a card for that, or is it on your student id card. Can you used the money from your meal plan towards other purchases? like books? My friend said that at her school, she could use that money towards printing and photocopying.
titles.mcmaster.ca has the latest booklist. If a course hasn't been listed it's because the professor hasn't sent in the booklist (most likely because the course is only offered in term 2).

Both Chemistry should use the same book, same with Physics as well as Math.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:23 PM   #3
manda112

Liked: 0 Times

The 2 chems have the same textbook. This year it is the 10th edition being used, but last year was the 9th (you could probably just buy the 9th for a lot cheaper and be fine using it). Physics 1b03 and 1bb3 are the same texts i think. it's the 2nd edition this year and was also 2nd last year. Psych courses don't have textbooks but instead have custom course wear which is basically just a booklet that you take all of your notes in. I think the 2 maths are the same textbook but I'm not completely positive (I only took 1a03) and they are 6th edition, same as last year i think. The 2 bios have different textbooks (volume 1 for 1a03 and 2 for 1m03 out of a 3 volume series) but this year there's a custom version of those textbooks that prof Kajuira (sp?) had a hand in making. I think you would be fine with just using last years though.

You absolutely need an iclicker. and you use your student ID as your meal plan card and yes you can use that money to pay for books, but you have to pay it back to your account. If you don't pay it back by a certain time then you have to start paying interest for what you owe. but pretty much your meal plan money can only be spent on food.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:30 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda112 View Post
The 2 chems have the same textbook. This year it is the 10th edition being used, but last year was the 9th (you could probably just buy the 9th for a lot cheaper and be fine using it). Physics 1b03 and 1bb3 are the same texts i think. it's the 2nd edition this year and was also 2nd last year. Psych courses don't have textbooks but instead have custom course wear which is basically just a booklet that you take all of your notes in. I think the 2 maths are the same textbook but I'm not completely positive (I only took 1a03) and they are 6th edition, same as last year i think. The 2 bios have different textbooks (volume 1 for 1a03 and 2 for 1m03 out of a 3 volume series) but this year there's a custom version of those textbooks that prof Kajuira (sp?) had a hand in making. I think you would be fine with just using last years though.

You absolutely need an iclicker. and you use your student ID as your meal plan card and yes you can use that money to pay for books, but you have to pay it back to your account. If you don't pay it back by a certain time then you have to start paying interest for what you owe. but pretty much your meal plan money can only be spent on food.
To add: Interest is calculated on the outstanding balance of your student account on the last day of every month. The interest is 1.2% a month.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:34 PM   #5
knguyens2

Quote:

This helped so much, thank you.
How much is an iclicker new? Is 20 a reasonable price for an old one?
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:39 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Anything under 31.50 is good, that's what Titles sells used iClickers for.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:40 PM   #7
manda112

Quote:
No problem

Iclickers sell new for just over $40. So i think 20 is a reasonable price for used. They're sold used at titles for about $30 and there isn't very many of them since you need them probably for all 4 years so 20 is a good price
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:42 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
To clarify, it's NOT your meal plan money that is used for books. If you set it up to use your student card to pay for books, it acts as a credit card. The money from your meal plan is for food, not books.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:48 PM   #9
knguyens2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Anything under 31.50 is good, that's what Titles sells used iClickers for.
okay, thanks for that. I know nothing about these things, so I don't know what the prices are or anything. thanks again.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:49 PM   #10
knguyens2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
To clarify, it's NOT your meal plan money that is used for books. If you set it up to use your student card to pay for books, it acts as a credit card. The money from your meal plan is for food, not books.
oooh so it acts like a credit card if not used for food. Thanks so much for that. =)
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:51 PM   #11
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
so how exactly would you use your id card to purchase book
after you buy with the card how do you pay back?
is it possible to payback the money without any interest?
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:53 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
You tell the cashier you want to use your student account as a credit card. They'll activate it and use it right away.

To pay it off, you just make an online transaction to McMaster with your student number as the account number. You can also pay your balance by going to student cashiers and accounts (I think they are in Gilmour Hall, but you can find where they are on the McMaster website).

To pay without any interest you have to pay back before the last day of the month.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:55 PM   #13
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You tell the cashier you want to use your student account as a credit card. They'll activate it and use it right away.

To pay it off, you just make an online transaction to McMaster with your student number as the account number. You can also pay your balance by going to student cashiers and accounts (I think they are in Gilmour Hall, but you can find where they are on the McMaster website).

To pay without any interest you have to pay back before the last day of the month.
ehhh that's too much work I'll just use my debit
thanks for the info
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:55 PM   #14
manda112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
The first time you use it at the book store you have to have another piece of ID with you like a drivers licence and then they put a sticker on your validation sticker of the ID card that says bookstore and from then on you won't need the second piece of ID. You pay the money back by going to your student account through Mugsi. I know that if your buying textbooks in September you had to pay the money back by the end of October I think it was in order to not have to pay interest. But they'll tell you about it at titles.
Old 08-23-2010 at 08:01 PM   #15
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

I've already paid for my first year, and aren't books part of that payment?? If not, how else do you purchase books?