MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prospective PNB student Question Newcomer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-19-2013 07:35 PM
Struggling with First Year Chem jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 02-10-2011 09:22 PM
Student Centre Question shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 02-03-2011 09:23 PM
first yr student card question - HELP!! rmfldkdtm First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-04-2010 01:45 PM
Mature Student question(s) reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2009 02:35 AM

Question from a struggling student

Old 06-27-2014 at 10:16 PM   #1
Kenckm

Liked: 0 Times

Question from a struggling student
I just finished my first year and I did poorly, and that's just putting it lightly.

Too many of my courses are below 6, and my cumulative average is just barely out of range of being kicked. I'm currently in Science II on academic probation.

Admittedly, I honestly did not take things as seriously - I treated the entire thing like it was highschool. The first term of Year I completely crushed me, just barely passing the courses with 1-3 grades. The second term, I attempted to do better and achieved some improvement, but clearly not enough, with marks ranging from 4-5 and a single 9 that pulled my average just out of range of being dropped.

Now, I feel like I'm stuck; I've already taken the summer courses to complete the necessary courses that I failed - Phys 1B03 being one of them - but I also realize that any prospective programs that I planned are now no longer an option. Programs that require an average grade of 6.0 across 2-4 courses are such examples.

I am in Science II right now. My plan was to take the Year I courses again in an attempt to reach at least 8 or higher, but I've been reading previous threads and I am starting to doubt my plans.

I am currently taking Envir Sci 1A03 in summer, and I'm dedicating everything to get a very high grade. I plan on shifting from Life Sciences program to a Biology & Envir Sci Program. I need a minimum grade of 6.0 on my Bio 1A03 and Bio 1M03 - both of which I do not meet. I wanted to ask if it wise to retake Bio 1A03 and 1M03 to get over 6 during my second year, as well as taking the other courses for a program that I am shadowing and hoping to join later.

If any of you people have any advice or guidance to offer, please send help. I completely regret how I wasted my first year, and I'm trying my best to climb my way out of the hole I dug myself into.
Old 06-28-2014 at 11:02 AM   #2
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

i would go in and sit down with an academic advisor for the science department. Find out what your options are from someone working at the school.
Old 06-28-2014 at 01:39 PM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

As wonderstruck said, it will be best to speak to an academic advisor in the Science Department to discuss the options and they will give you great advice as to what to do in your current situation. The contact information is on this link: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ind...-academic.html
Old 06-29-2014 at 08:20 AM   #4
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

Keep in mind that BioEnviro is a limited enrollment program. But coming from someone who just finished it, you're not missing much. Being in BioEnviro is similar to being in Bio w/ enviro minor or Enviro w/ bio minor, give or take a few courses.
Old 06-29-2014 at 09:42 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Assuming your first-year average was ~4 over 30 units, if you re-took first year and got a 12 in every course, your CA would be an 8. When you re-take a course, you don't replace the grade (even if you failed the first time). The mark from each attempt is averaged out.
And quite frankly, getting a 12 in every course, while certainly not impossible, doesn't really seem like a realistic expectation for you at this point.

I agree with the suggestion that you should talk to an academic advisor, but this is probably what I would do:
Figure out a non-limited-enrollment program that I want to get into, and what the minimum requirements are.
Take this year (and this summer) to meet those requirements, and maybe take a few of the open courses from that program as well. It might also be worth considering a reduced courseload.

For example, say I wanted honours bio. I would take bio 1A03 and 1M03 this summer to up my grades, and then spend the rest of next year working on getting my overall average high enough, including some second-year bio courses. I'd be less concerned with something like physics 1B03 that isn't required for entry into honours bio, and in this case, if physics actually gave me a hard time and failing wasn't just due to slacking off, I'd consider switching to 1L03.