MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High School/Grade 11/Summer School. cchels Academics 20 01-23-2012 09:43 PM
Star investigation: Slacking off gets high marks at this ‘high school’ enarab General Discussion 29 09-19-2011 11:17 PM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
questions about required prerequisites.. xsanx Academics 13 06-30-2010 01:38 AM

questions regarding high school prerequisites?

Old 03-12-2012 at 04:54 PM   #1
Unregistered

questions regarding high school prerequisites?
Hi,
I'm in grade 11, but I'm hoping to go to McMaster in 2 years (for health sci or life sci).
I have a few questions regarding high school marks.
One, does grade 11 marks count? The teachers say they do, but returning students say they don't. I think the teachers are just saying that so we won't slack off this year.
Somebody from McMaster came to school a few months ago, and I got one of the info books from her. It lists the high school prerequisite courses I need for the program. If I remember correctly, health science has 5 prereqs? So what happens to mark #6? Do I submit a mark from grade 12 or grade 11, or can it be from both? Or do they just look at the 5 prereqs only? Or do they see all my marks but only take certain ones into consideration?
Also, the application starts close to when my school's semester two starts. What happens if I have a prerequisite course in semester 2? Will they look at the prerequisite of that course instead? Like say I need grade 12 bio but I have that second semester, will they look at grade 11 bio instead?
So technically, even though the cut off is 90% I can still apply with a 88 or 89, since there's the chance of me doing very well in second semester and exceeding a ninety average.
Sorry if I'm rambling xD
Thanks for reading!
Old 03-12-2012 at 05:12 PM   #2
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Grade 11 marks only count towards receiving early acceptance but you don't need them in order to get into university. Also, they take your top six marks including the prerequisites to determine the average. As for courses in semester two they just look at your midterm and determine whether or not the mark is good enough.
Old 03-12-2012 at 06:21 PM   #3
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

As off 2011 offers based on Grade 11 marks were stop being made. I volunteered at the Ontario University Fair (Sept 2011) and this is what I was told during the training session. Keep in mind that this might be different in the year intend to apply, so you can always call McMaster for up to date info.

To answer your question pertaining to Health sci admission, yes you can still apply with an 88-89 and if your average goes up, you can still get an admission with a good supplementary application.

Current requirements for life science: http://future.mcmaster.ca/admission/...n-requirements
Current requirement for health science: http://future.mcmaster.ca/admission/...n-requirements

Hope this helps!
Old 03-12-2012 at 10:49 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Before january acceptance: Your first semester grade 12 marks + grade 11 marks taken into consideration. If you have good first semester marks and very good gr.11 marks you will likely get an acceptance before mid-term second semester marks come out. If you grade 11 marks are poor, the uni will likely wait until your mid-term second semester marks before offering a acceptance.

Final Acceptance and rejection-after-acceptance-from-low-mark is based off all grade 12, specifically the prereqs + you next top marks up to a total of 6 courses.
SOO.
final average grade 12 = (5 prereq marks + next highest mark)/6

good luck getting in!
Old 03-13-2012 at 06:57 AM   #5
kyleigh711

Liked: 0 Times

To clarify, for healthsci all acceptances are given out in may. They take your 5 prerequisite marks and your next highest U or M level course to calculate your average. That's final marks for courses you've completed, or midterm marks for term 2. You have to have AT LEAST 90% at this point to be considered, an 89 doesn't cut it. If you get in, you will get a letter telling you what average you have to maintain to keep your spot in the program. (I believe last year final averages had to be stay at or above 88 for people who got in).
Old 03-15-2012 at 03:25 PM   #6
stefprodea

Liked: 0 Times

yea i wouldnt worry at all about grade 11
Old 03-15-2012 at 04:04 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

6th mark is next highest non core course. for health sci, the 90s mark is the minimum for them to see your package. ur consideration wil then be based on ur supplementary. just get ur marks up and write a good supplementary