MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few questions xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-26-2011 02:38 PM
2 questions Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 06:02 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
DC++ questions lavalampsky General Discussion 3 09-14-2009 06:11 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM

Questions About SOLAR

Old 06-22-2012 at 08:32 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Questions About SOLAR
Hey guys,

So I register for courses on Tuesday, June 26th. But I've heard how much a problem SOLAR can be.

Does that mean I should try to log in at 12:00am on Tuesday? Is it on a first come first serve basis?

My internet is slow, does that mean I will have a harder time getting your first picks?

Alina likes this.
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:37 PM   #2
Alina

Liked: 2 Times

ohh i'm registering on Tuesday as well...social sciences?
also, i'm just going to throw in some more questions becasue i'm really lost
whats the difference between c1 and c2...?
andd whats the difference between a core, lecture and tutorial? do i need to have one for each course?
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:39 PM   #3
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Hey guys,

So I register for courses on Tuesday, June 26th. But I've heard how much a problem SOLAR can be.

Does that mean I should try to log in at 12:00am on Tuesday? Is it on a first come first serve basis?

My internet is slow, does that mean I will have a harder time getting your first picks?
Well you'll only be able to register for courses at 12:00 AM, but most people will have logged on to MUGSI before then. Yea, it's first come first serve and there aren't very many spots available, which is the root of the problem.

You might have a harder time, but I find that it depends more on luck. You just have to be lucky enough to click on SOLAR at a time when a spot is available (ie. when someone exits). On that note, make sure you log off SOLAR/MUGSI once you're done registering, otherwise you'll stay logged in for the full 45 minutes, which is a huge inconvenience for everyone else.
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:41 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina View Post
ohh i'm registering on Tuesday as well...social sciences?
also, i'm just going to throw in some more questions becasue i'm really lost
whats the difference between c1 and c2...?
andd whats the difference between a core, lecture and tutorial? do i need to have one for each course?
C1 and C2 are just different cores. Sometimes different profs teach different cores, sometimes its all one prof. They'll all teach the same material, but some courses just have multiple profs.

A core is the same as a lecture. Basically everyone in that course sits in a lecture hall and a professor teaches. Tutorials are usually for reviewing the concepts you've learned in lecture. Usually you'll have 20ish people per tutorial and a Tutorial Assistant (TA) will lead the tutorial and go over exercises or answer questions about lecture concepts. Not all tutorials are mandatory, depends on the course.
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:45 PM   #5
Alina

thankss!
andd how do I find out which prof is teaching at which lecture, or does it not matter what prof I get?
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:48 PM   #6
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
thankss!
andd how do I find out which prof is teaching at which lecture, or does it not matter what prof I get?
Usually it'll say which prof is teaching which core in the Master Timetable: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/

Some people like to pick certain profs depending on what they hear about them
Old 06-22-2012 at 09:50 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Also, you won't be picking sections (ie cores, labs or tutorials) on Tuesday. That doesn't happen until August.
Old 06-22-2012 at 09:56 PM   #8
Alina

okay so i'm just picking my classes?
Old 06-22-2012 at 09:59 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Yup

/12char
Old 06-22-2012 at 10:01 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Yes !

/12charcoholic..
Old 06-22-2012 at 10:05 PM   #11
Alina

alright, thanks for the help
Old 06-22-2012 at 10:10 PM   #12
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

No, register for your courses in the morning so I can get on at midnight
Old 06-22-2012 at 10:20 PM   #13
Alina

haha I think theres going to be a lot of people doing it at midnight
Old 06-22-2012 at 10:37 PM   #14
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
haha I think theres going to be a lot of people doing it at midnight
Yes ! There's going to be a lot of students on solar trying to register for their courses...if you get lucky you can finish early (get in at 12, pick your courses and leave without any trouble...or stay for a couple of hours trying to get into solar lol).

Vessi likes this.
Old 06-22-2012 at 10:49 PM   #15
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

I've been reading all these horror stories about SOLAR, like pressing the button for hours and hours, having a list of 40 courses incase you can't register for your top 10, the system crashing when you finally get on and pick your courses. OMG is it really going to be that bad? Setting up SOLAR as your homepage and having your password copied.

I'm so worried I won't get on until all the courses are filled.