MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few questions xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-26-2011 02:38 PM
2 questions Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 06:02 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
DC++ questions lavalampsky General Discussion 3 09-14-2009 06:11 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM

Questions About SOLAR

Old 06-22-2012 at 10:58 PM   #16
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
I've been reading all these horror stories about SOLAR, like pressing the button for hours and hours, having a list of 40 courses incase you can't register for your top 10, the system crashing when you finally get on and pick your courses. OMG is it really going to be that bad? Setting up SOLAR as your homepage and having your password copied.

I'm so worried I won't get on until all the courses are filled.
Yes, it's terrible getting into solar :/ Just keep trying and don't give up easily (eventually you'll get in!).
Old 06-23-2012 at 09:09 AM   #17
Alina

Liked: 2 Times

ahhh mee to! I guess we'll find out this week. But I heard it's only like that if your department has a lot of students...
Old 06-23-2012 at 09:55 AM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina View Post
ahhh mee to! I guess we'll find out this week. But I heard it's only like that if your department has a lot of students...
Its don't by faculty, not department, and smaller faculties are put on the same day as other faculties. Solar has a limit of 250 people...so you can pretty much count on having a hard time. Although I must say, it was a lot easier this year--not having to fight to log on to mugsi as well made a big difference.
Old 06-23-2012 at 11:26 AM   #19
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

4+years of this craptastic system under my belt =D, and it never once got upgraded or improved in my time here (though the problem used to be getting into MUGSI first and THEN get onto SOLAR, now it's just SOLAR).

Goodluck D=, sometimes you just get lucky and it goes amazingly smoothly and quickly, other times is just......ya..

Random tidbit I've heard from some friends I knew on the 'inside' (out-dated info though so don't know if still true or if ever was): the server can hold around 250 people at a time, out of the thousands that attempt to go on, fun times
Old 06-23-2012 at 01:33 PM   #20
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

I'd suggest doing a little prep for it.
- Candy
- Sugary Drinks
- A stress ball for when you want to throw something at your computer
- Tons of choices for courses, just in case you don't get them

Also this year I think I beat Solar at it's own game. Got on at 12:02AM, got off at 12:08AM, and got all my first choices
Old 06-23-2012 at 03:05 PM   #21
Alina

Liked: 2 Times

hmm I hope I get lucky then