Reinstatement Letter hellomac Academics 3 06-15-2011 12:07 AM
reinstatement letter ali999 Academics 2 06-04-2009 10:26 AM

Reinstatement letter Please help

Old 06-26-2017 at 02:19 AM   #1
JustLays

Liked: 0 Times

Reinstatement letter Please help
To whom it may concern,

I’m writing to appeal my academic dismissal from McMaster University. I was not surprised, but very upset to hear that I may not continue at McMaster. I would like to urge you to reinstate me for next semester.

I admit I had a very difficult time last year, and my grades suffered as a result. I don’t mean to make excuses for my poor academic performance, but I would like to explain the circumstances. I knew once I joined McMaster and became a student my life would change and I would be facing new problems while being alone but I never knew how bad it would be. I suffered through many challenges and obstacles during this year such as financial problems, family problems and emotional barriers which caused my grades to suffer. I thought I could handle the workload, and I still think I could have, expect I was under a lot of stress from my family about problems with paying for bills. I used to support my family with bringing in some money from my part time jobs but ever since I came to university it wasn’t easy for me to work and go to school which caused my father who is the only person in my family of 7 that makes money. This caused me to take out loans from the bank and use any money I had in my saving to pay for bills that my father couldn’t. Although these problems are less now due to my father’s promotion and a second job but it had already affected my education. My mother is also a heart patient and needed someone to look after her needs, I had to drive home every weekend and some weeknights to help with household duties and to care for my mother. Needless to say, the hour-long drive each way cut into my study time, as did taking her to the doctors for checkups. Even when I was at school, I was very distracted with the home situation and my mother’s health and was unable to focus on my schoolwork. I had become depressed because I felt that I couldn’t help them and that I was useless and pathetic which caused my mental state to become distant from people and from classes just trying to figure out ways to help my family. I understand now that I should have communicated with my professors (Instead of avoiding them), or even taken a leave of absence. I thought I could handle these burdens and I tried my best, but I was wrong.

I love McMaster University, and I always wanted to graduate from here since I was in middle school. It would mean so much to me to graduate with a degree from this school, which would make me the first person in my family to complete a university level degree. If I am reinstated, I will focus much better on my schoolwork, have a good commutation with my professors and manage my time more wisely. Fortunately, my aunt has offered to live with us and take care of my mom and my father is doing well in his new job, so I should not need to travel home nearly as often as I did. Also, I have met with my advisor, and I will follow her advice about communicating better with my professor from now on.

Please understand that my low GPA that led to my dismissal does not indicate that I am a bad student. Really, I’m a good student who had one very, very bad year. I hope you will give me a second chance. Thank you for considering this appeal.

Sincerely,
Old 06-26-2017 at 03:05 AM   #2
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times

I'm not very familiar with the reinstatement process, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I think you do a great job in explaining the circumstances as to why you had a difficult time last year and also the steps you will take to ensure success if reinstated, but one thing your letter seems to be lacking is evidence that you can handle the university workload, or at least evidence of improvement. For example, did you take any summer courses, and do well in them? How were your marks in previous years (if applicable)? It's simply not enough to say you "are a good student who [just happened to have] one very, very bad year" because of X, Y, and Z. Where's the evidence that you are a good student, who can handle the workload? My 2 cents. I hope it works out for you!

Last edited by Pegasus : 06-26-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Starships2 likes this.
Old 06-26-2017 at 03:33 AM   #3
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times

A few more suggestions. Make sure you get someone to proofread your letter before you send it. Some sentences could be reworded or made more clear. Also, conveying a greater sense of personal responsibility may be helpful, although I understand a lot of it was beyond your control. I am very much a believer that such things are looked upon favorably by the reinstatement committee.

Do you have any specific questions? The forum can provide you with more relevant advice if you clarify what it is specifically that you need help with.
Old 06-27-2017 at 04:26 PM   #4
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

This is very informally written and is full of grammatical and spelling errors. Its not just about the extenuating circumstances but also about how you are a changed person who has learned from their mistakes. It isnt enough to basically say "youll do better next year", you have to outline how you have improved your previously detrimental habits so that you wont fall back into the same issues again. Also make sure you have documentation regarding your mother's health as itll help validate your claims.

( I have went through the reinstatement process first hand and have a good idea of what theyre generally looking for so please take note of the above paragraph)

Good luck!