MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FCE and Residence moonlitnight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-21-2010 01:35 PM
Residence Rep loats14 Residence & Housing 6 01-27-2010 04:14 PM
Residence saigalhz General Discussion 13 04-10-2009 09:44 AM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Residence

Old 04-14-2008 at 08:11 PM   #76
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

To my knowlege all of the residences have a room with a piano. And yup, they're open to everyone. You don't have to be in music to play it at Mac...I have friends who were in the pit bands for musicals who weren't

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-14-2008 at 08:16 PM   #77
Meg543

Liked: 0 Times

Mac puts on musicals...that involve students who aren't fine arts students? Thats awesome. So between that and the whole pianos in residence thing I just may be sold
Old 04-14-2008 at 08:35 PM   #78
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

McMaster Musical Theatre, McMaster Thespian Company, the Engineering Musical, the Honours Production Series are four companies I can think of off-hand that don't require fine arts students. Technically, I don't think any of them do...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-14-2008 at 11:38 PM   #79
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

You don't need to be in fine arts. Also, you can be part of the theatre productions ... even audition as one of the actors/actresses, and not be in the theater/film program at all. Loads of options

McMaster Musical Theatre:
Their website - http://www.macmusicaltheatre .ca
Contact info: try [email protected] or [email protected] mail.com

I also highly suggest you contact Jeff Ferguson, he knows all about Mac's musical theater productions click here for his profile and a link to message him.
Old 07-02-2008 at 10:59 AM   #80
dtrann

Liked: 0 Times

Hi, does anyone know when McMaster will tell the students which residents they'll be living in?
Old 07-02-2008 at 12:23 PM   #81
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrann View Post
Hi, does anyone know when McMaster will tell the students which residents they'll be living in?
I'm pretty sure they said early July.
Old 07-02-2008 at 01:52 PM   #82
eycc11

On McMaster's Housing website, they mentioned that the residence assignments will be out by mid-July.
Old 07-04-2008 at 08:44 PM   #83
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

I just got my res assignment today
Old 07-14-2008 at 11:40 PM   #84
peters

Liked: 1 Time

hello,
I am an international student from Malaysia and
I had been offered an admission to the McMaster residence.
I got the Bates residence and Regular mean plan A.

the payment that i shoud pay is CAD5830(for Bates) and CAD2900(for
meal plan).
So the total is CAD8730.
(the other fees eg tuition fee are being paid by my sponsor, only
these two payment i need to pay my self).

There are monthly payment plan(mpp).
However, i didnt understand with the calcultaion,
can you show me the amount of payment that i shoud pay for each plan?

How about the entrance scholarships? I achieved 91% in my grade12.

I really hope that you can help me in this matter.
thanks.
Old 07-15-2008 at 01:47 PM   #85
eycc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters View Post
hello,
I am an international student from Malaysia and
I had been offered an admission to the McMaster residence.
I got the Bates residence and Regular mean plan A.

the payment that i shoud pay is CAD5830(for Bates) and CAD2900(for
meal plan).
So the total is CAD8730.
(the other fees eg tuition fee are being paid by my sponsor, only
these two payment i need to pay my self).

There are monthly payment plan(mpp).
However, i didnt understand with the calcultaion,
can you show me the amount of payment that i shoud pay for each plan?

How about the entrance scholarships? I achieved 91% in my grade12.

I really hope that you can help me in this matter.
thanks.
Hi peters,

I'm not too sure about the specifics with the MPP, but here's a pdf file from the McMaster Student Accounts and Cashiers Office you can read through regarding the payment plans. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest calling the Student Accounts and Cashiers, Monday to Friday from 11 am - 4 pm at (905) 525-9140 ext: 24478 or send an e-mail to [email protected] ster.ca

Just keep in mind that if you choose any payment plan other than 'Payment in Full'...for example, if you choose the MPP, then interest will be charged at an annual rate of 14.4% (1.2% per month subject to change).

Also, with a 91%, you'd receive an entrance scholarship of $2,000 which is renewable for up to 4 years (sorry, it's actually only renewable in the second year now), as long as you achieve a sessional average of 80% (equivalent to a 9.5 on McMaster University's grading system) each year. If you happen to be awarded with the scholarship, it should show up in your Student Account (on MUGSI), but they might still be processing all the grades for the first-years.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited by eycc11 : 07-15-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2008 at 01:53 PM   #86
eycc11

Hey peters, I JUST found something that might be a lot more useful to you.

Here is a 'newsletter' posted by the Student Accounts and Cashiers Office specifically discussing about the MPP.
Old 07-15-2008 at 02:43 PM   #87
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Whoa, the scholarship is renewable for 4 years? I thought I read somewhere that it was 2 years... odd. That just raises one question for me. If you don't get that 9.5 this year and just happen to get it second year will you get the scholarship in the third year?
Old 07-15-2008 at 11:11 PM   #88
eycc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Whoa, the scholarship is renewable for 4 years? I thought I read somewhere that it was 2 years... odd. That just raises one question for me. If you don't get that 9.5 this year and just happen to get it second year will you get the scholarship in the third year?
Quoted from here: "McMaster's 2008 Entrance Awards Program - Scholarships for entering undergraduate students are provided exclusively for students qualifying for admission to Level 1 of a first baccalaureate degree in a full time program in the Fall/Winter session."

So I believe you can't be eligible for any 'Entrance Awards' (the scholarships) after year 1 if you weren't eligible for year 1. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by eycc11 : 07-15-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2008 at 11:12 PM   #89
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Hi. I think eycc11 is talking about the conditions for previous entrance scholorships. For the 2008 entrance scholorships (the ones given to incoming first year students this year) your scholorship is only renewable in the second year!!

If you do not maintain the 9.5 average from your first year, you will not get it renewed and you will not get the other part of the scholorship!

Hope this clarifies things.

Quoted from Financial Aid site:
"McMaster's Entrance Awards are renewable in the second year of University study provided students remain full-time and achieve a 9.5 (approximately 80%) sessional average. No application is required as awards are based upon final high school grades."
Old 07-15-2008 at 11:22 PM   #90
eycc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
Hi. I think eycc11 is talking about the conditions for previous entrance scholorships. For the 2008 entrance scholorships (the ones given to incoming first year students this year) your scholorship is only renewable in the second year!!
Ah, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize. I read that, but I didn't think it meant...that, but just meant it's still renewable in the next year and possibly the years after as well. My mistake! =\

Thanks for correcting me, Eva C!

Hmm...do our scholarships remain the same though? As in, are they still renewable for up to 4 years? I hope so! =P

Last edited by eycc11 : 07-15-2008 at 11:28 PM.