MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cracked laptop screen R_21 General Discussion 11 10-26-2010 06:49 PM
Windows 7 Welcome Screen Desda Computers & Tech 12 07-21-2010 08:35 AM
Convert Glossy screen to Matte? Allan General Discussion 5 08-22-2009 11:29 AM
What screen size do you prefer/have for a laptop? kanishka General Discussion 19 07-08-2009 11:35 PM
Flat-screen monitor ladyh General Discussion 5 01-08-2008 11:28 PM

screen frustrations

Old 11-09-2010 at 02:30 PM   #1
YipColleen

Liked: 0 Times

screen frustrations
Hey!

So I have a compaq computer with an intel core 2 duo inside. My computer has been my constant companion for these past years at school, except now the screen has gone all funny. At certain angles of my screen relative to the keyboard, the screen gets pixalated and the colors go negative.

Ive seached my computers drivers to see if there is anything wrong with the codes, and the drivers are all okay

Im pretty sure its a cord problem...any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Colleen
Old 11-09-2010 at 04:11 PM   #2
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Am I correct to assume this is a desktop computer and the monitor is an LCD?

If so, are you using a DVI connection or a VGA connection? examples here: http://www.3dflightsim.com/articles/DVI_connector.jpg

By any chance could you take a picture of the screen when its all screwed up?

You also need to sort out if its the monitor that's causing the problem or if its the video output / cable. As a first step, I'd recommend borrowing a laptop off a friend and trying to hook it up to the monitor to see if that resolves the problem.
Old 11-09-2010 at 04:23 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Uh... no... its definitely a laptop. As she mentioned "angles of my screen relative to the keyboard".
And if you've updated the drivers, then yes, its very likely a connection issue. Its definitely fixable... but to what end?
It could cost you a lot of money to get it fixed, depending on where the connection issue is. Also, if you don't wanna spend so much money... is this a problem you could just live with?
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

YipColleen likes this.
Old 11-09-2010 at 04:30 PM   #4
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Uh... no... its definitely a laptop. As she mentioned "angles of my screen relative to the keyboard".
lol [facepalm], I totally didn't get that.

And for a laptop, you're typically looking at $100+ just for diagnosis/labour and then parts on top to do anything related to the screen. You can get new 14" full laptops (not netbooks) for $300-350 right now. If your battery life is down as well, its very unlikely to be worth fixing unfortunately.
Old 11-09-2010 at 04:32 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

If you have a spare monitor/TV lying around, I'd start just hooking it up to there instead of getting it fixed.. That's what I've been doing for almost a year now.

Unfortunately, kinda takes away the "portable" part. xD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-09-2010 at 07:43 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If you have a spare monitor/TV lying around, I'd start just hooking it up to there instead of getting it fixed.. That's what I've been doing for almost a year now.

Unfortunately, kinda takes away the "portable" part. xD
This is actually a brilliant idea.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 11-09-2010 at 08:41 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
This is actually a brilliant idea.
I do have them every once in a while.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

YipColleen likes this.
Old 11-09-2010 at 09:05 PM   #8
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

How old is your laptop?
Old 11-11-2010 at 08:58 PM   #9
YipColleen

Liked: 0 Times

um. i believe i got it the summer of 2008, right before i came to school. It is a presario c700