MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mary Koziol & Vishal Tiwari: MSU Presidential Controversy? Purgatory99 Presidentials 2010 46 02-19-2010 06:52 PM
Calling out Vishal Tiwari FireDragoonX General Discussion 41 02-09-2010 12:53 PM
Vishal Responses To Speaker Resignation Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-15-2009 11:59 PM
Tell us your thoughts on Welcome Day! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 17 08-11-2008 08:33 AM

Thoughts on Vishal

Old 02-07-2010 at 12:25 AM   #46
LeannaT

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-L View Post
Just saying, the thread title is Thoughts on Vishal.....why is it so wrong when others ask questions or state their opinion.....Why are we trying to handcuff people from criticizing someone who is payed for with their money, for an organization they are a part of when all they are asking is what has he done, or saying how they think.
Fair enough. I think I've said everything I needed to say anyway
Old 02-07-2010 at 08:32 AM   #47
samd

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannaT View Post
Fair enough. I think I've said everything I needed to say anyway
You've said basically nothing.
Old 02-07-2010 at 11:50 AM   #48
KaylaG
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

We've given up on speaking our minds about this issue because you are so stubborn that you wont listen to anything. Quit being so rude...this was a thread that was supposed to be nice and you had to turn it into yet another criticizing one.
Old 02-07-2010 at 12:16 PM   #49
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaG View Post
We've given up on speaking our minds about this issue because you are so stubborn that you wont listen to anything. Quit being so rude...this was a thread that was supposed to be nice and you had to turn it into yet another criticizing one.
I thought it was "thoughts on vishal" not "good thoughts on vishal" or "thank you vishal"

Last edited by ice8 : 02-07-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2010 at 12:25 PM   #50
lmasud

I for one will thank Vishal for his services...and it has nothing to do with what he has or hasn't accomplished. I will thank him simply because he decided to take a year off of his studies to serve his school...not too many people would do that.

Personally, I think one year is waay too little time for anyone coming into a new position to make a big impact, especially when you have a small budget to work with.

Oh, and 8.35 for nachos isn't all that bad...there are far worse rip offs on campus and off campus

KaylaG, LeannaT like this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:17 PM   #51
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
I for one will thank Vishal for his services...and it has nothing to do with what he has or hasn't accomplished. I will thank him simply because he decided to take a year off of his studies to serve his school...not too many people would do that.
you are now on the same level as LeannaT, KaylaG and lawleypop.
just saying

DannyV likes this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:20 PM   #52
LeannaT

oh for crying out loud, for someone who is so against Vishal you certainly spend a lot of time and effort on these boards, criticizing.
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:28 PM   #53
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

wut
He thanks Vishal for a dumber reason than why you thank him.

Every MSU president takes a year off. They're paid as if it's a fulltime job, not "go to school and be MSU president on the side"

xxsumz, ytpos like this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:31 PM   #54
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannaT View Post
oh for crying out loud, for someone who is so against Vishal you certainly spend a lot of time and effort on these boards, criticizing.
That is the very essential point I think you're missing.

If someone is "against" Vishal, they are allowed to critisize him. We basically pay for him to be our MSU President, so we can talk about him and his accomplishments/failures.

Richa, xxsumz like this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:37 PM   #55
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times

Dear all,

I feel an overwhelming need to write something here. This is not meant as a blanket "Vishal is wonderful" statement - rather, I am just contributing to the conversation. I encourage you to keep being critical. One thing I found from campaigning is that perception is a crucial problem; what students see of their student leaders is highly varied. As important as it is to question the President on their job performance, I think it is also important to highlight positive aspects of their character and achievements. This is not soley for the sake of the person themselves; it also helps reduce cynicism among students, and encourages students to be constructively critical rather than jaded and resentful.

I'm not the best person to comment on Vishal's job performance (Vishal himself or a member of the BOD would be the most qualified), but I'm also not a bad choice considering how carefully I've been considering his role over the past few months. In terms of tangible changes he has implemented, the thread "Calling out Vishal Tiwari" has some constructive comments. As well, he has worked on building community relations and on reaching out to students via his open air office hours.

I am glad to see this forum was created as it raises a very important issue that I hope to address with my platform; there needs to be some way to communicate with students what the President is doing/has done with regards to their platform and yearplan. I'd like to address this by maintaining a consistent blog/time log.

I also think there is something to be said about "soft skills". Though they might not be tangible, they should also be considered in a comprehensive discussion of a President's success and failures. One thing Vishal has done is empowered those around him. I think he has done so with his BOD as well as various students. He was one of the first people who made me feel like a part of the MSU; as I came in and out of the office in my 3rd year with charity ball duties, he was one of the only people who got to know me. To me, THAT is what the President of the student body should be - someone who makes as many students as possible feel like they matter.

Again, I'm not trying to promote Vishal as flawless or suggest that anyone should refrain from their criticisms. I'm also not saying that the points I've highlighted should override any other considerations - just that in order to get the big picture, there are multiple things to consider. I realize my perspective is biased, but I think it is a valid one nonetheless. In a debate such as this, all perspectives should be heard.

Part of my desire to respond was entirely selfish; I want to set the tone for the year to come. I want to help students be as well-informed as possible about what the President does, is doing and should be doing. I look forward to debate and differences in opinion, but I hope that we can work towards maintaining a well-balanced dialogue.

Thanks for reading,

Mary

Last edited by mkozi : 02-07-2010 at 01:49 PM.

KaylaG, LeannaT, McIntyre all say thanks to mkozi for this post.

KaylaG, LeannaT like this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:31 PM   #56
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
wut
He thanks Vishal for a dumber reason than why you thank him.

Every MSU president takes a year off. They're paid as if it's a fulltime job, not "go to school and be MSU president on the side"
This is pretty ridiculous...what I can't thank someone for doing their job? Policmen get paid, firemen get paid for what they do, so should we stop thanking them also?

The fact is that the guy, for better or for worse, is putting us (the students) before him...which I consider a selfless act, and I will thank those that do that

I don't get something though...if he is such a hated person, than how the hell did he elected?
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:39 PM   #57
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
This is pretty ridiculous...what I can't thank someone for doing their job?
You can, but only if they do something positive at their job.

What you thanked him for was taking a year off school. They all do that

Quote:
Policmen get paid, firemen get paid for what they do, so should we stop thanking them also?
Yes!
Finally, someone agrees with me. They are paid to do their job, we should stop thanking them. "Oh you were there at 9/11, thank you so much for you work", they are paid to help people for ****'s sake.

http://www.careerbuilder.com /Artic..._dangerous_job

list of the most dangerous jobs, people should be thanking those guys instead of pathetic police officers and firemen.

Quote:
The fact is that the guy, for better or for worse, is putting us (the students) before him...which I consider a selfless act, and I will thank those that do that
selfless? hahahahahaaaaa
1. he's getting paid
2. he's putting it on his resume

Quote:
I don't get something though...if he is such a hated person, than how the hell did he elected?
he got elected when only 12% of the student body voted. He himself probably got less than 1000 votes.

12% of the population votes for who's president. The other 88% doesn't give a shit and think the MSU is a waste.

DannyV, xxsumz like this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:48 PM   #58
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
12% of the population votes for who's president. The other 88% doesn't give a shit and think the MSU is a waste.
I would say oblivious. There are waaay too many people I know that had know idea the elections were occurring.

I can't even figure out HOW that is possible, considering how many people invite others to the Facebook groups and had photos for the candidates etc. And also the brightly coloured posters everywhere.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-07-2010 at 03:11 PM   #59
KaylaG
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quite honestly I'm ashamed to say that me and you go to the same University. If it wasn't for police officers and fireman who would save YOU from a burning building. I can't believe how ignorant you are. While 9/11 was happening and you were sitting at home watching on the news, those who went out to save people and ended up losing their lives were not thinking of the money they were making while doing so, they were thinking of the people they were reaching out to.
Old 02-07-2010 at 03:18 PM   #60
LeannaT

Wow, I can't even believe that this conversation has turned from a discussion about our president to a bashing session on firemen in 9/11. This is a shame to our university....you really have no idea how pathetic it sounds. Enough already.