MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Checking & Help Thread 2010 Chad Academics 237 09-07-2011 10:40 PM
first thread of 2011 Juve General Discussion 6 01-01-2011 12:32 PM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
2010/2011 Master Course Timetable danallan Academics 6 05-10-2010 02:08 PM

Timetable Checking and Help Thread 2011

Old 06-06-2011 at 08:43 PM   #16
De La Soul

Liked: 1 Time

Another tip is to keep back up TUTORIALS in mind. It will suck when you get all the classes you want but end up with all the random 830 tutorials and you don't have class until 330.
Old 06-06-2011 at 08:49 PM   #17
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Is June 27th the day when course selection opens up for first year science students? Also, when picking do you absolutely have to pick courses that will fill out the requirements for the honours of your level two program? For example, I am entering life sci I but I am pretty sure that biophysics in second year will be right for me. I want to take courses that will prepare me for that but if I do I am missing a requirement for honours life sci.
Old 06-06-2011 at 08:54 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
BIO 2C03: Which prof would you recommend I take the course with CAMPOS (term 1) or DEJ (term 2)?

I know the BIO 4T03 is not offered this year and will most likely be offered next year. Does anyone know if this course is offered in term 1 or 2?
I haven't had Campos, but Dr. Dej was pretty good. Maybe someone else can give you some info about Dr. Campos?
Also Bio 4T03 was a term II course last year I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1s View Post
Quick Question, if you are changing faculties, do you do course selection on the day of the faculty you are transferring from or on the day of the faculty you are transferring into? Thanks!
I'm not sure, but when you go onto SOLAR, it'll tell you the date it's available for you "Available from June.. to..." and that should tell you when you're registering for courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
For full-year courses (Term 3), are the lab/tutorial sections going to remain the same throughout the year? (So they can't conflict with either Term 1 or Term 2 classes?)

Thanks!
What course do you have in mind? Usually, they don't change, but I know for Fre1A06, the prof allowed some people to switch tutorial because it conflicted with a required course core. However, I think it depends.

pavlov says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 08:56 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
Is June 27th the day when course selection opens up for first year science students? Also, when picking do you absolutely have to pick courses that will fill out the requirements for the honours of your level two program? For example, I am entering life sci I but I am pretty sure that biophysics in second year will be right for me. I want to take courses that will prepare me for that but if I do I am missing a requirement for honours life sci.
Maybe keep a course in the summer? Generally, first year classes are pre-reqs to most programs. However, definitely pick courses with your level II program in mind, and if you don't have space to satisfy both, you could always take a course or two in the summer. Also, check out this year's summer timetable as an indicator of what courses are offered (usually) in the summer.
Old 06-06-2011 at 09:09 PM   #20
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Is June 27th the day when course selection opens up for first year science students?
It's the 28th for us, I believe, 12:01 - it's going to be a long night :/

DMe3, MirandaC like this.
Old 06-06-2011 at 09:57 PM   #21
MirandaC

It will definitely be a long night. I graduate in the evening of the 27th so I will get home and eagerly await my course selection.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:12 PM   #22
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

My prom is on the 27th - luckily I'm not going
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:19 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

I have 15 units of Elective space for my first year, and I plan to minor in Business. Do level I Business courses tend to get filled up quickly?
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:40 PM   #24
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
I was pretty much in the same boat as you as a first year. I didn't care for Honors Life Science since I didn't opt to take psych 1XX3. Remember that you can pick up to 4 choices for your major and that hon. life sci doesn't have to be one of them. Personally the only reason I would have picked hon. life sci is because of its unlimited enrollment, so you at least end up with an honors science degree. Though this would only be of concern if your marks won't let you make the cutoff for the level II programs you are choosing.

MirandaC says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 11:03 PM   #25
MirandaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
I was pretty much in the same boat as you as a first year. I didn't care for Honors Life Science since I didn't opt to take psych 1XX3. Remember that you can pick up to 4 choices for your major and that hon. life sci doesn't have to be one of them. Personally the only reason I would have picked hon. life sci is because of its unlimited enrollment, so you at least end up with an honors science degree. Though this would only be of concern if your marks won't let you make the cutoff for the level II programs you are choosing.
Honours physics has unlimited enrolment but I am not sure about the biophysics specialization. There seem to be no one on MI in the program because I started a thread asking people in it to share their experiences yet I have gotten no replies.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:02 AM   #26
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Honours physics has unlimited enrolment but I am not sure about the biophysics specialization. There seem to be no one on MI in the program because I started a thread asking people in it to share their experiences yet I have gotten no replies.
There are about 1-2 people in biophysics specialization each year. If this is what you want to do after first year, you will certainly get in after you meet prereqs.

In fact, all physics programs are pretty much open to anyone who have met the course requirements. However, once you get in, don't expect an easy ride. Physics is probably one of the toughest science streams, but it can also be very rewarding if you can handle it.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:14 AM   #27
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

what would the cons of taking all full year courses be?
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:18 AM   #28
Otoshigami

Liked: Liked 4 Times

I want to take the Beginner's Intensive Japanese 1Z06 course for my elective requirement but I heard that it fills up pretty quick, which sucks because I don't get to register until June 29 and it'll probably be full by then :(

But I've also heard that you can somehow get a spot reserved in that course by contacting the Humanities or Linguistics department. Can anybody corroborate this?

Last edited by Otoshigami : 06-07-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:20 AM   #29
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
what would the cons of taking all full year courses be?

It all boils down to the prof with 6 unit courses. If the prof is awful, be ready to hate your life for a whole year. other than that, nothing comes to mind.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:24 AM   #30
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
It all boils down to the prof with 6 unit courses. If the prof is awful, be ready to hate your life for a whole year. other than that, nothing comes to mind.
Yup. Also, if you start to dislike the course toward the end of first semester, then you will have a miserable second semester. 3 unit courses are more flexible because you can always change it up after first term.