MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng Timetable Feedback Michael23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-09-2011 12:15 PM
1st Year Engineering Timetable Feedback? Crazy Tom First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-28-2011 11:07 PM
Schedule Feedback!?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-10-2010 05:46 PM
Getting feedback Chad Computers & Tech 6 04-01-2010 12:22 AM

Timetable feedback?

Old 08-15-2011 at 11:06 AM   #1
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

Timetable feedback?
I know there probably been a lot of these topics, and I have read over a couple of them, but there is still some advice I didn't find. Anyways, as you can see, I have 8:30 AM classes, literally everyday. I can probably get used to waking up so early, but will this screw me over in the long run? Also, I'm not too sure about the Chem lab/tutorials in Term 1 and the Bio lab in Term 2.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Timetable.xls (29.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:34 AM   #2
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

A Few Things =)

For Term 1:
If possible try to move the chem lab for either Tuesday or Thursday. If Thursday, move the psych lecture to Tuesday. U don't want to be having a lab on a Friday =/ But then again, it's just a suggestion.. You'll end off pretty quickly round noon' so it shouldn't be that bad.

For Term 2:
If possible, try for a physics lab an hour or two after ur mumbo-jumbo of classes. That way you'll have a bit of a break, sometime to prep n freshen up OR if possible shift it over to Thursday.

GB123 says thanks to -Ish- for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 12:22 PM   #3
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Waking up every morning at 8:30 isn't bad once you get a cup of coffee and get in the groove of things.

I had Krepski for Math 1B03 last year at 8:30 too. He's understanding about how early it is and is a really great lecturer, so having that 3 times a week that early isn't bad. I'd try to make a space in between your Math 1LS3 tutorial and Chem Tut/Labs. (https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1A03&t=1&d=D) However, this would mean having a later day on Fridays. Although, you can always prepare for everything within that 1 hour gap between 9:30-10:20, but it might be a bit of a rush.

GB123 says thanks to Moghue for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 12:56 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB123 View Post
I know there probably been a lot of these topics, and I have read over a couple of them, but there is still some advice I didn't find. Anyways, as you can see, I have 8:30 AM classes, literally everyday. I can probably get used to waking up so early, but will this screw me over in the long run? Also, I'm not too sure about the Chem lab/tutorials in Term 1 and the Bio lab in Term 2.
8:30s every day isn't horrible, as long as you fix up your sleeping schedule and don't stay up till 3am everyday! I had an 8:30 class in first year (math) and I went to every single one, but by the end of term with exams coming up, I was staying up later till 3 or 4 am and it messes up your sleep schedule and you're less likely to go to class, so keep that in mind!
As for your timetable:
Term 1- Your chem lab isn't bad, but I personally don't like labs on Friday. I've had morning Friday labs and Friday afternoon labs and although I disliked both, I disliked the afternoon ones more. It really all depends on you to keep it as it is or move it to Tues/Wed/Thurs. Also, to end earlier on Thurs, you can move your Psych core/tutorial to Tuesday at 9:30. That way, you'll have all your classes in BSB and you'll have less 1-hour breaks wasted here and there.
Term 2- I like that there's less 1-hour breaks, however, your Wednesday morning with 6 hours of class is a little too much in my opinion. Maybe move your physics lab to another time?

GB123 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 01:50 PM   #5
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

I would really suggest you switch your bios around...having Stone is less than enjoyable, very boring and tests are unnecessarily hard, and Wilson (from what I hear) was hard and actually turned some people off of bio. Id say you've chosen the worse order since I really enjoyed Quinn's teaching. Sorry, its the first thing I wanted to make note of

GB123 says thanks to mike4 for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 01:57 PM   #6
Luux

Stone isnt teaching this yr, its either Zhu for term1 or Wilson for term2...there really isnt any choice since heard both are not the best

GB123 says thanks to Luux for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 01:57 PM   #7
GB123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
I would really suggest you switch your bios around...having Stone is less than enjoyable, very boring and tests are unnecessarily hard, and Wilson (from what I hear) was hard and actually turned some people off of bio. Id say you've chosen the worse order since I really enjoyed Quinn's teaching. Sorry, its the first thing I wanted to make note of

I might have taken your advice, but unfortunately, according to the master time table, there are only two cores and Kolasa/Stone are teaching both cores in 1st term so there's no one else...
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:05 PM   #8
mike4

Quote:
I might have taken your advice, but unfortunately, according to the master time table, there are only two cores and Kolasa/Stone are teaching both cores in 1st term so there's no one else...
I meant switch terms...although I know that may be difficult at this point, I would think you would be better off. Oh...and I was told last year that Kolasa is boring/monotone, so together...

Old 08-15-2011 at 02:11 PM   #9
Luux

did u hear anything about Zhu for bio?
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:24 PM   #10
mike4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luux View Post
did u hear anything about Zhu for bio?
I haven't, but knowing Wilson's reputation from last term, shes been confirmed as difficult...If Zhu is poor, his style may have changed depending on when he taught last. Its sometimes important to look at recent teaching rather than the past because they vary.

In the rare case, like I experienced, I was told by the year prior that Quinn was hard/not ideal but he must've adjusted cause he was great last term. So anything is possible, but Wilson has a bad history (just look at ratemyprofessors.com) Ie. better a gamble than a sure loss lol

Old 08-15-2011 at 02:28 PM   #11
GB123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
I meant switch terms...although I know that may be difficult at this point, I would think you would be better off. Oh...and I was told last year that Kolasa is boring/monotone, so together...

Oh, sorry, I was so focused on fixing up my timetable for each term, I forgot I could switch courses form one term to the other....

Anyways, I'll probably do what Sara did and switch Psychology to Tuesday, but those Friday labs in term 1 and 2 are still bothering me, I just did some more digging and apparently some other people don't like Friday either. As for that hectic Wednesday in Term 2, I can definitely move something to Monday or Thursday. Any advice on what to move? I could also move to Tuesday, but with that Chem lab/tutorial, I'm afraid I'll just make Tuesday more hectic.

Last edited by GB123 : 08-15-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:30 PM   #12
Luux

yeah the thing is everyone is different, some people might like wilsons teaching style..it just depends on them..what made wilson not so great?

GB123 says thanks to Luux for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:32 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luux View Post
yeah the thing is everyone is different, some people might like wilsons teaching style..it just depends on them..what made wilson not so great?
She teaches slower than the average prof, so if you have the ability to learn at an average pace you'll likely find it boring and fall asleep.

GB123 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:33 PM   #14
mike4

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I was so focused on fixing up my timetable for each term, I forgot I could switch courses form one term to the other....

Anyways, I'll probably do what Sara did and switch Psychology to Tuesday, but those Friday labs in term 1 and 2 are still bothering me, I just did some more digging and apparently some other people don't like Friday either.
They aren't ideal because they're on the last day of the week (where all you want is for the weekend to start), but note that having labs in the second half of the week is always ideal in the sense that you can get feedback from friends!

Also, take this with a grain of salt (cause its not my opinion), but when the exam came around, people were apparently happy during Kajiura's first half of questions, and the second they turned to Wilson's questions, they lost hope. Apparently lots of tricky application questions with genomics.

Last edited by mike4 : 08-15-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Old 08-15-2011 at 02:35 PM   #15
Luux

oh okay thanks! i guess im use to that since past teachers have been like that as well. But how about her tests, assignments, etc?