MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-17-2009 at 07:57 AM   #61
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
:@
Your angry MSN faces won't work here
Old 06-17-2009 at 08:57 AM   #62
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Here is my story:

I get into MUGSI at 11:45pm thinking I can just get things done on SOLAR in about 5 minutes so that I can go to bed; I was so tired (up since 5 am and had several meetings throughout the day). I get to pick most of my courses just fine, then I get told that some courses with no prerequisites suddenly have some. Great, now I have to pick random courses as my course selections are no good (it took me forever to find courses that I liked which would fit in my timetable). I tried to fix this problem but only made it worse, as my planned timetable (10am - 4pm each day) now had me going from 10am - 9pm and the gaps in between courses were horrible.

I wanted to undo the random courses and just take the 3-4 each term that I wanted, but since I entered early my time was up. Fortunately or unfortunately, you decide, nothing was saved and I had to start over again 2 hours later.

*Oh, and I had to wake up and pick up my cousins at Pearson Int'l early in the morning.

FML, lol

It's better now but I'm still missing the course I want, which for some reason 4th year students must have all decided to take. Yet, it is only a 2nd year course.

Last edited by Goce : 06-17-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2009 at 09:38 AM   #63
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Re: Sciene 2B03.

It's likely not full, it just showed up that way to a 3rd/4th year who wanted to take it as an elective.

This is likely because Solar hasn't opened up for Science students in 2nd/3rd year yet. Most seats are likely reserved for them and once it opens for them if there is room for other people it should show as available for them. If you want this course as an elective just wait until it opens up for those students and then see if there's any room.

This may also be your problem Goce. Since it's a 2nd year course it might not be open for picking yet or all the spots for upper years have been taken because Solar hasn't opened up for 2nd years yet.

Last edited by sew12 : 06-17-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:16 PM   #64
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

so do you guys think its worth it to stay up for SOLAR when I can get in?
honestly it doesn't seem to matter too much what with all the error/full server issues..
and I have to agree, its "nice" that I dont really have electives..makes deciding a schedule so much easier
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:21 PM   #65
sew12
Elite Member

If you have no electives and you're just selecting all your mandatory courses than there is really no point in staying up late and waiting. It's a big hassle and takes forever to get in and it's just annoying. If you have all set, mandatory courses for your program just wait until a non peak time and it's all good.

I'm not sure what program you're in but if you have like choices between X & Y and stuff you might want to stay up to get the options you want.
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:28 PM   #66
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
so do you guys think its worth it to stay up for SOLAR when I can get in?
honestly it doesn't seem to matter too much what with all the error/full server issues..
and I have to agree, its "nice" that I dont really have electives..makes deciding a schedule so much easier

You're better off to log on between 5am-7am. You get on right away, can pick your courses in two minutes and go back to bed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Kareko says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:45 PM   #67
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yay for Hns Mol Bio & Gen! XD You should probably try and pick the courses where it says: "choose 6 from..." I'm not sure if you are guaranteed space in those courses. Obviously if all of them all full you can ask to be placed in the course you want, otherwise I can just see the registrar saying: "You can just pick the other course"
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:30 PM   #68
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yay for Hns Mol Bio & Gen! XD You should probably try and pick the courses where it says: "choose 6 from..." I'm not sure if you are guaranteed space in those courses. Obviously if all of them all full you can ask to be placed in the course you want, otherwise I can just see the registrar saying: "You can just pick the other course"
Yeah this is true.

They will only open up seats in required courses. If you have other options they'll tell you you need to pick something else.
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:43 PM   #69
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Yeah this is true.

They will only open up seats in required courses. If you have other options they'll tell you you need to pick something else.
Sometimes if you beg the department who hosts the elective they will open up a spot for you. That's how I got my elective last year
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:44 PM   #70
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Sometimes if you beg the department who hosts the elective they will open up a spot for you. That's how I got my elective last year
That's good but that's probably rare.
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:44 PM   #71
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Also if enough people want seats then they will open up some. So don't just sit there and do nothing, call call call!
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:50 PM   #72
sew12
Elite Member

Oh of course you should always ask but it all depends on the different faculties/courses/professors and most importantly rooms involved in the course.

I know a course I wanted to take last year was full and more seats couldn't be opened because the room booked for the course was at capacity. I know a lot of people who wanted to take it but couldn't last year because of this. It's unfortunate.
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:51 PM   #73
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Your angry MSN faces won't work here
Hehe force of habit.

I tried begging for a spot in an elective last year but I didn't work. :( It turned out for the better anyway because I got to do it in summer school and I could focus all my time on it.
Old 06-17-2009 at 05:10 PM   #74
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

good point with the optional requirements, though I dont imagine I'll have trouble with most..since basically everyone in bio has to take alot of them. thanks

and I cant believe they used to do it with bubble sheets! that mustof taken forever..SOLAR may be hard to get into but I'm glad its here when faced with the alternative @[email protected]
Old 06-17-2009 at 05:21 PM   #75
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

True, but you have to also note that they all have only 1 core, atleast the courses I'm taking. I can't really believe that so little people are taking the courses compared to first year. A very big drop in numbers.

Lol, when you put it that way I'm sure all of us are glad we have SOLAR instead of bubble sheets.