MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Ultimate Frisbee Vlahos Athletics & Recreation 7 09-09-2010 06:20 AM
How do we accept our program choice? goldfish101 Academics 5 05-31-2010 04:03 PM
Your drug of choice. lawleypop General Discussion 144 10-13-2009 06:24 PM
Free Choice in Engineering? A_L3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 11-18-2008 08:41 AM

Ultimate Computer Brand Choice

Old 08-26-2010 at 01:30 PM   #16
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

How about a macbook with bootcamp?
*runs for the hills*
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:39 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I have a Dell, haven't had a single problem with it, still runs at the same speed as when I first had it which seems to be faster than all my friend's laptops. It's been a year and 2 months since I first bought it.
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:46 PM   #18
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Back up your reasons? Im using HP.
A couple of my family members have HP laptops. Though it's basically already been covered by jackiemac (Minus the faceplates/keys thing.) =/
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:49 PM   #19
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Remember this - every laptop for the most part has a problem somewhere or another.

Sony - Battery issues
HP/Compaq - various issues/overheat
ASUS - crappy keyboards
Toshiba - crappy material quality/overheat
Dell - overheat
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:57 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Remember this - every laptop for the most part has a problem somewhere or another.

Sony - Battery issues
HP/Compaq - various issues/overheat
ASUS - crappy keyboards
Toshiba - crappy material quality/overheat
Dell - overheat
I have a Dell and my laptop does get warm. It's never gotten so hot I can't type, and it's never gotten so hot that it crashes either.

The only time it gets warm is on the third floor of my house in my tiny room. I think it's mostly because my room itself is hot. I have no problems with my laptop getting hot at McMaster or at my house in Hamilton.
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:59 PM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I have a Dell and my laptop does get warm. It's never gotten so hot I can't type, and it's never gotten so hot that it crashes either.

The only time it gets warm is on the third floor of my house in my tiny room. I think it's mostly because my room itself is hot. I have no problems with my laptop getting hot at McMaster or at my house in Hamilton.
Now you see my point when people always complain about HP

Everyone is gonna have an issue with any laptop you give them, its just the way of humans.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:01 PM   #22
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Get ASUS or Macbook Pro, period.

You can check ASUS out at TigerDirect in Burlington.
Macbook Pro can be checked out at Titles Bookstore.

*edit to add something*

I have had Gateway, HP, Acer, and Dell before. I had problems with all of them until I purchased a Macbook Pro. I load in Windows 7 and I am in love with it.

As for ASUS, never tried it but they are decent.

Last edited by Bhaltair : 08-26-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:03 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Now you see my point when people always complain about HP

Everyone is gonna have an issue with any laptop you give them, its just the way of humans.
Lol, but honestly do you care what other people think about your laptop? If your laptop works fine for you then you really shouldn't care much. People can bash my Dell all they want, it doesn't hurt the fact that my laptop is better than the majority of my friends' laptops. XD
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:05 PM   #24
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Lol, but honestly do you care what other people think about your laptop? If your laptop works fine for you then you really shouldn't care much. People can bash my Dell all they want, it doesn't hurt the fact that my laptop is better than the majority of my friends' laptops. XD
I could care less. However, I do not like it when people say "dont get XXX because it crashes". More likely than not:
-They fiddled with something on the laptop for it to crash
-They have a virus/spyware and dont know it
-They got too much junk installed and comp cant handle it

You'll be surprised how many issues can be resolved with a nice reformat.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:05 PM   #25
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
How about a macbook with bootcamp?
*runs for the hills*
I run windows xp on my mac using parallels and it works good. I won't start with my general distain for computers with windows but I keep xp to run stuff I can't get for mac or don't want to pay for. The newer macs blow the doors off windows xp and windows server dunno about vista or 7 because my Dad nor myself dare to tread into that territory. Thats my experience don't freak out about hate for macs now.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:07 PM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilks View Post
I run windows xp on my mac using parallels and it works good. I won't start with my general distain for computers with windows but I keep xp to run stuff I can't get for mac or don't want to pay for. The newer macs blow the doors off windows xp and windows server dunno about vista or 7 because my Dad nor myself dare to tread into that territory. Thats my experience don't freak out about hate for macs now.
Mac's hardware specs are terrible for the price you pay.. And most people end up installing XP as well on it. I do not understand that logic, lol.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:11 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I could care less. However, I do not like it when people say "dont get XXX because it crashes". More likely than not:
-They fiddled with something on the laptop for it to crash
-They have a virus/spyware and dont know it
-They got too much junk installed and comp cant handle it

You'll be surprised how many issues can be resolved with a nice reformat.
Very true, I find the majority of people who say certain laptops aren't good don't actually take care of their laptop.

I have never needed to reformat my computer before. Isn't it really simple now? You just boot your computer with the installation disk? I remember over a decade ago my dad used to reformat computers but he did it through commands... I think he was reformatting... I might be wrong because I was like 6 or 7...
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:14 PM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Very true, I find the majority of people who say certain laptops aren't good don't actually take care of their laptop.

I have never needed to reformat my computer before. Isn't it really simple now? You just boot your computer with the installation disk? I remember over a decade ago my dad used to reformat computers but he did it through commands... I think he was reformatting... I might be wrong because I was like 6 or 7...
Yup. I havent reformatted once either. Im just careful about what i download and install. If your insure about software, get a virtual machine and install on there.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:23 PM   #29
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

I would have to say that Asus is one of the better companies i've come across for reliable laptops. not hard to believe when you look at the other PC parts they make. Gotta love their mobos
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:24 PM   #30
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:

you got lucky brotha

i work at the court house in downtown hamilton, and the i.t. guys here would bounce off the walls if the word "dell" was mentioned

they know their computers, and swear by anything but a dell

its not some widespread youth belief that dell is crap and has crap service

dell IS crap.. and i think that you jsut got lucky, or your problems are yet to come

dell is the hollister of computers ( make cool commercials promoting dell, and people will buy it for the image that is portrayed by dell, people wont look at the specs and seriously buy a dell as a good computer)