MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Ultimate Frisbee Vlahos Athletics & Recreation 7 09-09-2010 06:20 AM
How do we accept our program choice? goldfish101 Academics 5 05-31-2010 04:03 PM
Your drug of choice. lawleypop General Discussion 144 10-13-2009 06:24 PM
Free Choice in Engineering? A_L3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 11-18-2008 08:41 AM

Ultimate Computer Brand Choice

Old 08-26-2010 at 02:46 PM   #31
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Mac's hardware specs are terrible for the price you pay.. And most people end up installing XP as well on it. I do not understand that logic, lol.

Old 08-26-2010 at 03:35 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouzajj2010 View Post
you got lucky brotha

i work at the court house in downtown hamilton, and the i.t. guys here would bounce off the walls if the word "dell" was mentioned

they know their computers, and swear by anything but a dell

its not some widespread youth belief that dell is crap and has crap service

dell IS crap.. and i think that you jsut got lucky, or your problems are yet to come

dell is the hollister of computers ( make cool commercials promoting dell, and people will buy it for the image that is portrayed by dell, people wont look at the specs and seriously buy a dell as a good computer)
Lol, how could I have gotten lucky? I'm pretty sure all Dell computers are made in a manufacturing line out of the same parts.

We'll see if I get any problems but the fact that there hasn't been an issue for 1 year and 2 months doesn't make me feel like there's going to be an issue any time soon.

Also, I didn't buy a laptop to play games on. I could care less about the horrible video card. As long as my computer is fast, can run my applications for school and can browse the internet then that's fine with me. If I want to play games I'll get a desktop and actually look for a computer with good specs.
Old 08-26-2010 at 03:40 PM   #33
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, how could I have gotten lucky? I'm pretty sure all Dell computers are made in a manufacturing line out of the same parts.

We'll see if I get any problems but the fact that there hasn't been an issue for 1 year and 2 months doesn't make me feel like there's going to be an issue any time soon.

Also, I didn't buy a laptop to play games on. I could care less about the horrible video card. As long as my computer is fast, can run my applications for school and can browse the internet then that's fine with me. If I want to play games I'll get a desktop and actually look for a computer with good specs.
Issues actually occur between the 1st and 2nd year. So if you have nothing by next summer its solid
Old 08-26-2010 at 03:44 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Issues actually occur between the 1st and 2nd year. So if you have nothing by next summer its solid
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything to happen before the warranty expired, but I was expecting something to happen soon after within the month or two. Thanks for the information though.
Old 08-26-2010 at 03:58 PM   #35
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

when i say you got lucky, i mean that your computer lasted a bit longer than others.
Every single laptop company ive come across build theyre products for a 1-4 year life span.
Its how they make money.

When i say dell is crap, im comparing it to other laptop companies whose laptops last a bit longer (but still mess up)

and p.s. not all the laptops thatcome of the assembly line are the same, there could be a sodering issue in the processor core that may have benefited your laptop... instead of breaking the first time you drop it, itll take a couple more drops..
its a stupid exapmle but you see my point

in general, dells dont last as long as other laptops, which is why i say dells crap

intruth, all laptops are crap, dells jsut crappier

lmao

plus: their service SUCKS
Old 08-26-2010 at 04:21 PM   #36
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

hp/dell/toshiba have been going cheap on parts. plus hp customer service sucsk. imo go asus. many sales on their products and good quality / parts for price
Old 08-26-2010 at 04:47 PM   #37
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Every single laptop company ive come across build theyre products for a 1-4 year life span.
Its how they make money.
Eh, you do realize the parts inside a computer are from other companies, right? Like a gfx card is Intel/nVidia/ATi, HDD is Seagate, WD, etc.

Therefore that logic is totally flawed.. lol.
Old 08-26-2010 at 05:25 PM   #38
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Generally speaking, if you're getting a windows laptop, get Leveno for build quality, get Asus for price:performance ratio. Most of the other brands have enough horror stories floating around that it's better to just avoid them.

...Or just get a MacBook...
Old 08-26-2010 at 05:44 PM   #39
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
you got lucky brotha

i work at the court house in downtown hamilton, and the i.t. guys here would bounce off the walls if the word "dell" was mentioned

they know their computers, and swear by anything but a dell

its not some widespread youth belief that dell is crap and has crap service

dell IS crap.. and i think that you jsut got lucky, or your problems are yet to come

dell is the hollister of computers ( make cool commercials promoting dell, and people will buy it for the image that is portrayed by dell, people wont look at the specs and seriously buy a dell as a good computer)
i think you accidentally put dell instead of apple in the bolded part. i know this thread is about laptops, but i have a family dell desktop at home and have had only a couple of minor issues in the ~6 years we've had it. i've only had my dell laptop for a little over a year, but i have had no problems with it so far, however dell does have terrible customer service(4 hours to resolve the couple of minor issues with the desktop.)
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:06 PM   #40
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I love my Asus laptop
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:29 PM   #41
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Anyone aside from me getting bored of seeing a new "herp derp which laptop are bettor lul?" thread here every single week?

The point is, no matter which laptop you buy, someone somewhere thinks it sucks.

Here is the general formula for every single response to these threads:

a) Omg my {insert relative} bought a {insert laptop brand here} and it has been sent back {insert number here} times for warranty repairs. {aforementioned laptop brand} makes terrible computers because their {insert random laptop components} suck. I've had a {different laptop brand (use 'mac' to score epic troll points)} for {number of years} and it's awesome. You most likely don't know what you're talking about if you think otherwise.

b) MACS SUK BEECUZ {insert list of random poorly spelled probably made up shit here}. {computer brand} ARE TEH BESST.

c) EXCUSE ME! But I've owned a {attacked computer brand} for {number of years}, and have only had the utmost AMAZING service. You sir, are and idiot! (well not that direct, but in so many words).

I'm sure pattern matching could also be applied to all the "Which Internet service is best?", "Which mobile telephone service is best for Hamilton?", "lol wind mobile", "Sup bitchez, you getting the iPhone Phoar?" and "I'M GONNA RAPE AND KILL WHOEVER INVENTED SOLAR!!!!!111one" threads.

So overall, everyone should L2search so we don't have to keep having the same conversations over and over again....

/thread

Old 08-26-2010 at 06:32 PM   #42
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Get the MacBook pro 15 inch i5 , but it's expensive . That's the best laptop out now
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:55 PM   #43
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
Get the MacBook pro 15 inch i5 , but it's expensive . That's the best laptop out now
I dare say not? But let's talk one step above the best i5 Apple's got and go all the way to the i7 Macbook Pro ($2200).

Core i7 620M (I'm assuming since it says 2.66Ghz i7)
4GB 1066mhz DDR3 RAM
500GB 5400RPM HDD
GeForce GT 330M graphics (directx 10.1, 512MB VRAM)

Now, the processor here is a pretty good dual-core with a 4mb cache. However, it's one of the lowest of all available i7s; in comparison to the other processors in that line, it's not actually a stunning performer, especially with all the quad-core processors available in the same line, and especially for the hefty price you're paying for it. Intel lists its value at only $332.

As for other parts, I certainly use more than 4GB of RAM when using my computer, and to upgrade to the only other option, 8GB, costs $400 more. And it's 1066mhz ram as opposed to 1333mhz which is available in a lot of laptops (ehh, not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it). 5400 RPM is a slower hard drive, which means slower read and write times. A lot of HDDs in laptops are 7200 RPM. GeForce GT 330M graphics are last generation technology; it's a middle-class card.

You're paying $2200 for that? Not a lot of performance for price. And I assume the reduced performance is meant to increase the battery life, although I don't know enough about Macbook batteries to make a call on this one.

Last edited by Theashe : 08-26-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:05 PM   #44
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
I dare say not? But let's talk one step above the best i5 Apple's got and go all the way to the i7 Macbook Pro ($2200).

Core i7 620M (I'm assuming since it says 2.66Ghz i7)
4GB 1066mhz DDR3 RAM
500GB 5400RPM HDD
GeForce GT 330M graphics (directx 10.1, 512MB VRAM)

Now, the processor here is a pretty good dual-core with a 4mb cache. However, it's one of the lowest of all available i7s; in comparison to the other processors in that line, it's not actually a stunning performer, especially with all the quad-core processors available in the same line, and especially for the hefty price you're paying for it. Intel lists its value at only $332.

As for other parts, I certainly use more than 4GB of RAM when using my computer, and to upgrade to the only other option, 8GB, costs $400 more. 5400 RPM is a slower hard drive, which means slower read and write times. A lot of HDDs in laptops are 7200 RPM. GeForce GT 330M graphics are last generation technology; it's a middle-class card.

You're paying $2200 for that? Not a lot of performance for price.
Well Priceerformance ratio tends to be the big con of the Macbook line, there are enough pros for it to still be a recommendable laptop for a certain group of people
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:17 PM   #45
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Well Priceerformance ratio tends to be the big con of the Macbook line, there are enough pros for it to still be a recommendable laptop for a certain group of people
Lol, I can't believe I actually bitched out about the tech specs.

But anyway, my point being, you can buy a lot better, for a lot less.