MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
Transportation between universities kourtney. Automotive & Transportation 4 09-19-2010 08:47 PM
McMaster Asian Federation of Charitable University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) faytless Clubs & Groups 0 09-14-2010 10:36 PM
Asian Grocery Stores in Hamilton Amaryll General Discussion 1 09-06-2010 09:01 PM
Courses at other universities eullwm Academics 3 06-09-2010 12:29 PM

Universities Too Asian?

Old 11-11-2010 at 11:22 AM   #16
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

I especially liked how they stuck in a random, unrelated picture with the two Chinese guys carrying a Chinese flag. It has nothing to do with education/university and there are no indicators that suggest it was taken in Canada.

I also liked how they insisted on lumping together the Asian-Canadian students with the obviously international students. Universities are recruiting too many international students to earn more money. When you recruit enough students from one place, they're far more likely to stick to their own ethnicity just because it's familiar and easier to communicate with each other. I think THAT is a far greater problem that contributes to racial segregation than Asian-Canadians who are familiar with mainstream Canadian culture.

The dichotomous stereotypes perpetuated in the article really get me too. Asian = antisocial nerds, White = lazy, drunken bums. Gotcha.

Thanks, Maclean's.

Old 11-11-2010 at 11:39 AM   #17
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
“At graduation a Canadian—i.e. ‘white’—mother told me that I’m the reason her son didn’t get a space in university and that all the immigrants in the country are taking up university spots,” says Frankie Mao, a 22-year-old arts student at the University of British Columbia.
LOL @ using ethnicity/nationality as a cop-out for your kid being a dumbass.

I hate people.

Old 11-11-2010 at 11:56 AM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Didn't bother reading past first page -- they just keep barfing racism in every aspect of that craptacular article.

dynast likes this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:05 PM   #19
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

I'll tell you this, I have alot of fob friends at Mac.
Fob = fresh off the boat
And they all mainly talk to their own kind (chinese) because it's so much easier, and it minimizes the risk of being made fun of because of their accent.

dynast likes this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:16 PM   #20
ViktorVaughn

Perhaps I just missed the point in the article, but the author seemed to be suggesting that if schools were to limit the enrollment of Asian students, it would somehow make the universities a more cohesive environment. I don't understand how this would be the case. If anything, it would remain unchanged, but with different proportions of isolated groups.

The only reason anyone is concerned about there being "too many asians" (haha really?) is pure and simple xenophobia.

And as to "not being able to compete with them", this is pure nonsense also. Academic success is something that exists on an individual level, and which is derived from personal motivation and willingness. To suggest that ethnicity or culture makes it impossible for you to compete with someone else is complete stupidity, and I suspect merely a weak excuse for 1) personal lack of academic motivation, and 2) the previously mentioned xenophobia.

lorend says thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.

AlienSummer, dynast like this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:16 PM   #21
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhorrible View Post
I especially liked how they stuck in a random, unrelated picture with the two Chinese guys carrying a Chinese flag. It has nothing to do with education/university and there are no indicators that suggest it was taken in Canada..
Unrelated? Watcha mean? I carry around a Chinese flag around campus everyday

Now if you excuse me I have to go back to studying cause I apparently lack social skills and it's the only thing I know how to do .

Lol, but in all seriousness the article had some interesting points, I would discuss more but I actually need to get back to studying! Test in 6 hours D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Perhaps I just missed the point in the article, but the author seemed to be suggesting that if schools were to limit the enrollment of Asian students, it would somehow make the universities a more cohesive environment. I don't understand how this would be the case. If anything, it would remain unchanged, but with different proportions of isolated groups.

The only reason anyone is concerned about there being "too many asians" (haha really?) is pure and simple xenophobia.

And as to "not being able to compete with them", this is pure nonsense also. Academic success is something that exists on an individual level, and which is derived from personal motivation and willingness. To suggest that ethnicity or culture makes it impossible for you to compete with someone else is complete stupidity, and I suspect merely a weak excuse for 1) personal lack of academic motivation, and 2) the previously mentioned xenophobia.
I don't think the author is suggesting lowering the enrollment of Asian students. I think she was trying to say Universities should do more to encourage a more cohesive environment for their students.

Last edited by khaotic : 11-11-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2010
khaotic
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:37 PM   #22
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Bunch of racist, whiny, white mfkers.

Old 11-11-2010 at 01:04 PM   #23
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Theres also a lot of brown people in universities...

Old 11-11-2010 at 01:13 PM   #24
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic View Post

Quote:
Perhaps I just missed the point in the article, but the author seemed to be suggesting that if schools were to limit the enrollment of Asian students, it would somehow make the universities a more cohesive environment.
I don't think the author is suggesting lowering the enrollment of Asian students. I think she was trying to say Universities should do more to encourage a more cohesive environment for their students.

I should perhaps have said "many in the education community" (as refered to below), as opposed to the author of the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macleans
The dilemma is this: Canadian institutions operate as pure meritocracies when it comes to admissions, and admirably so. Privately, however, many in the education community worry that universities risk becoming too skewed one way, changing campus life—a debate that’s been more or less out in the open in the U.S. for years but remains muted here. And that puts Canadian universities in a quandary. If they openly address the issue of race they expose themselves to criticisms that they are profiling and committing an injustice. If they don’t, Canada’s universities, far from the cultural mosaics they’re supposed to be—oases of dialogue, mutual understanding and diversity—risk becoming places of many solitudes, deserts of non-communication. It’s a tough question to have to think about.
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:48 PM   #25
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
I should perhaps have said "many in the education community" (as refered to below), as opposed to the author of the article:
It's also probably important to point out that this happened in the states for generally positive reasons (an attempt to break the self-reinforcing cycle of poverty), while if the same issue came up here it'd be purely out of overentitlement and xenophobia
Old 11-11-2010 at 02:59 PM   #26
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Theres also a lot of brown people in universities...

Dude, I got a large hot chocolate today. Do I make you proud? D:

/Laughs at the word brown from your quote.

xxsumz says thanks to Desda for this post.

xxsumz likes this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 03:18 PM   #27
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

that's disgusting, stop villifying ppl b/c they work harder than you; that goes for ppl in general regardless of race.

that being said, the guy who scores 98 on his test but is still using the chinese msn to tell everyone im sorry to say isn't going to get a job....everyone hating on the hard workers can take solice in the fact that SOME of them have very poor ppl skills
Old 11-11-2010 at 03:25 PM   #28
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Dude, I got a large hot chocolate today. Do I make you proud? D:

/Laughs at the word brown from your quote.
OMG!
I AM PROUD

This message has been removed by a moderator. .