MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
Transportation between universities kourtney. Automotive & Transportation 4 09-19-2010 08:47 PM
McMaster Asian Federation of Charitable University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) faytless Clubs & Groups 0 09-14-2010 10:36 PM
Asian Grocery Stores in Hamilton Amaryll General Discussion 1 09-06-2010 09:01 PM
Courses at other universities eullwm Academics 3 06-09-2010 12:29 PM

Universities Too Asian?

Old 11-12-2010 at 04:18 PM   #61
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
There is rational reason behind it, it isn't like I don't want to or anything (actually "many" was the keyword there). Many of them wouldn't like my religious views.
okay gulab jamun. If you say so
Old 11-12-2010 at 09:27 PM   #62
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

^^ lol if you think that's enough to provoke me. Keep trying. (directed at invisible post by escape)
Old 11-12-2010 at 09:32 PM   #63
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Not all asians, but I have yet too see an East asian (chinese) that didn't work their tail off and study hard and get good grades, they'd probably get disowned or subjected to chinese water torture or w.e.
Lol really? I know plenty that go out and get drunk everyday.
They are mainly the ones who don't attend class, and stay out late on Queenstreet.
Old 11-13-2010 at 02:26 AM   #64
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggydoe View Post
i agree with zombiejesus.. the university is not to blame.. and also, REPLEKIA/ur getting ur info from ur bro which is just one person (and i guess the ppl he hangs out with) but it would be kinda unfair that u would rate the university (of waterloo) that way just b/c of one person's experience. I have friends who attend waterloo as well and there are some that are in many many clubs while others are not.. so its really based on each individual (i.e. what extra cirriculars they are part of) the the activities of those clubs (who organizes events)

on another point... i can't believe some universities limit acceptances from each culture/race... i wonder how many canadian universities actually do that...that's so unfair to students in certain ethnicities that work hard b/c they were brought up that way... like my mom would always tell me when i asked for a reward for my high grades (in elementary school) its my responsibility to get high grades cuz being a student in our full time job so i was brought up to study hard b/c achieving any less would sorta be like.. not finishing my chores i guess.. not that i abide that anymore but just as an example...

though this article seems to be racist.. they're really just pointing out stereotypes that everyone's somewhat aware of...and by saying that asians have high grades doesn't mean that ALL asians have high grades and ppl shouldn't pick on these details cuz obviously there are exceptions to all stereotypes
YOU are racist
Old 11-13-2010 at 03:41 AM   #65
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

aint gonna lie to yall
i know some asian chicks who were living like they was in a bomb shelter when they was growing up with their parents
now that they're out of the crib and livin on their own they givin it out like pamphlets on world aids day

one time we had a party at my place
my boy brought over this small-eyed brown hair'd frosh chick (im pretty shes asian since my boy's asian too his last name is chan or some shit but i aint joe brown or mathis or judy so who am i to judge)
girl had like 3 drinks max red as **** and i aint gonna lie i heard that shit from outside but that night my boy JC he drove that ***** HOMEEEE yo
drove her home
drove her home good
Old 11-13-2010 at 09:48 AM   #66
mac.student

Liked: 2 Times

Really? That's weird :S I've been to Waterloo several times on random occasions to visit friends and everytime I've been there they've always had events going on. For example, they had movies playing, dance lessons, and cooking classes held at their student centre. And these activities were all free as long as you were a student there (I was sad cause I'm not and therefore could not participate ><). And the turnout to those events were pretty big. As well, they have clubs, kareoke lounges and bars literally right next to the University, and the club I went to the last time I was there (Rev) was easily 5 times the size of any of the clubs here in Hamilton and it was jam packed the night I was there.

So, I dont really know where this “We had a problem getting students out of their bedrooms" thing is coming from. :S:S:S

jenn_y likes this.
Old 11-13-2010 at 09:50 AM   #67
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Are they ever gonna fix that problem where people can't see newer posts?
Old 11-13-2010 at 10:42 AM   #68
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
my boy brought over this small-eyed brown hair'd frosh chick
girl had like 3 drinks max red as ****
It's called Asian glow, most asians get it.
Reaction to alcohol, they aren't really "drunk" though, most of the time.
Old 11-13-2010 at 06:28 PM   #69
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
aint gonna lie to yall
i know some asian chicks who were living like they was in a bomb shelter when they was growing up with their parents
now that they're out of the crib and livin on their own they givin it out like pamphlets on world aids day

one time we had a party at my place
my boy brought over this small-eyed brown hair'd frosh chick (im pretty shes asian since my boy's asian too his last name is chan or some shit but i aint joe brown or mathis or judy so who am i to judge)
girl had like 3 drinks max red as **** and i aint gonna lie i heard that shit from outside but that night my boy JC he drove that ***** HOMEEEE yo
drove her home
drove her home good
You go Michelle
Old 11-13-2010 at 06:56 PM   #70
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Michelle can't tell whether or not girls are Asian?

The hell?

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-13-2010
jenn_y
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-13-2010 at 07:12 PM   #71
jenn_y

Liked: 0 Times

Non-Asians only know the stereotypes of Asians and tend to believe the worse.. especially those from small towns with no/little Asian population and therefore were never exposed to other cultures other than their own.
Old 11-13-2010 at 07:39 PM   #72
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
^^ lol if you think that's enough to provoke me. Keep trying. (directed at invisible post by escape)
I'm not trying to provoke anything Afzal Sahib.
Old 11-13-2010 at 07:57 PM   #73
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No one is saying ALL Canadian students of East-Asian decent fit the stereotype, but that stereotype exists because it is common. Saying "hurr you're just ignorant derppp" simply sounds butthurt and sidesteps an issue instead of addressing it. Also, keep in mind these are cultural attributes not racial ones- anyone who thinks Asian people are genetically programmed to work harder or the inverse is an idiot.

Last edited by zombiejesus : 11-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.

_Luu_ likes this.
Old 11-13-2010 at 11:29 PM   #74
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No one is saying ALL Canadian students of East-Asian decent fit the stereotype, but that stereotype exists because it is common. Saying "hurr you're just ignorant derppp" simply sounds butthurt and sidesteps an issue instead of addressing it. Also, keep in mind these are cultural attributes not racial ones- anyone who thinks Asian people are genetically programmed to work harder or the inverse is an idiot.
I'm pretty sure Asians are smarter than everyone else.