MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week 2009 Day 1 Photos temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-06-2009 04:21 PM
Welcome Week 2009 Is Almost Here! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 09-04-2009 06:42 AM
Welcome Week 2009 joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-21-2009 10:06 PM
Welcome Week 2009! Nino General Discussion 26 07-19-2009 07:33 PM
welcome week concerts evansj6 General Discussion 31 08-13-2008 08:33 PM

Welcome Week Concerts 2009

Old 08-12-2009 at 03:19 PM   #31
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

I'm hoping Metric is one of the bands.
Old 08-12-2009 at 03:21 PM   #32
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

id be perfectly happy if alexis played again haha

lorend, Paul91, Phil, scott000 like this.
Old 08-12-2009 at 04:08 PM   #33
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

alexis was bomb last year.

when/where did neverending white lights play???? that makes me really sad :( I'm a second year and if they played last year, I had no idea.
Old 08-12-2009 at 11:44 PM   #34
ageless_12

Liked: 0 Times

They didn't play last year, they played the year before. And Metric also played the year before. I was told it was horrible.
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:07 AM   #35
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventsasst View Post
... What I can tell you about the concerts is that there are a range of bands/performers to reach a large majority of the students' tastes.
I find this hard to believe.

Sorry! I'm definately not trying to be rude here. But I don't think most students only like one genre. And when the list of previous concerts includes Alexisonfire, Metric, Neverending White Lights, Theory of a Deadman, Treble Charger, Tokyo Police Club, Sam Roberts, etc. ... that's all kind of from the somewhat of the same genre. These are all great acts and I know they are all different in their own way, but there's no R&B, no rap, no pop, no dance, no metal, and so on.

I'm hoping there will be a wider variety of music this year.
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:18 AM   #36
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageless_12 View Post
They didn't play last year, they played the year before. And Metric also played the year before. I was told it was horrible.
I heard the same thing about Metric, apparently they were super high and could barely play, and then left after a couple of songs. Still would have been sweet to be there though

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post

Sorry! I'm definately not trying to be rude here. But I don't think most students only like one genre. And when the list of previous concerts includes Alexisonfire, Metric, Neverending White Lights, Theory of a Deadman, Treble Charger, Tokyo Police Club, Sam Roberts, etc. ... that's all kind of from the somewhat of the same genre. These are all great acts and I know they are all different in their own way, but there's no R&B, no rap, no pop, no dance, no metal, and so on.

I'd say the listed bands fall into the several different genres, that have their roots in rock. Plus we did have Johny Truant play, a metal group. But you're right in saying that we don't get rap, r+b etc.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:26 PM   #37
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:

So basically what you're saying is that no matter what, people are going to whine. Somehow this makes your whining less important to me.

Frosh Week is supposed to be about the experience, and the bands are just icing on the cake. If you can't have fun at a show because you wanted a different band to be there, don't go. Simple as that.

daisy, lorend like this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:42 PM   #38
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
These are all great acts and I know they are all different in their own way, but there's no R&B, no rap, no pop, no dance, no metal, and so on. I'm hoping there will be a wider variety of music this year.
K-OS played about five years ago. Canada doesn't have a large number of rap or R&B artists/bands. I can only think of a couple.

Nearly all of the groups/artists that play at Mac (during WW or otherwise) are Canadian. This is a) because they cost less and b) provides an avenue to make Canadian artists more popular/successful here.

If only a couple people know who these artists are (I'm talking Canadian R&B, Hip Hop, Rap etc) then there's no point in having them play...people generally don't attend concerts of bands they don't know.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-13-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:47 PM   #39
Paul91

Liked: 4 Times

we should get classified...or k-os or buck 65.....w/e though, i also like alot of the bands who have played in the past
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:42 AM   #40
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

with only 3 weeks until the actual concert, im wondering when they will say whos playing? lol... anytime soon would be good.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:37 AM   #41
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
So basically what you're saying is that no matter what, people are going to whine. Somehow this makes your whining less important to me.

Frosh Week is supposed to be about the experience, and the bands are just icing on the cake. If you can't have fun at a show because you wanted a different band to be there, don't go. Simple as that.
? This is a little hostile, especially since I said I wasn't trying to be rude..
I'm not saying no matter what, people are going to whine. And I'm not whining myself. I'm just saying I hope there is a wider variety of music.

Kayli likes this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:37 AM   #42
LWright

Liked: 3 Times

Drake!

crys.eg likes this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:11 AM   #43
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I heard the same thing about Metric, apparently they were super high and could barely play, and then left after a couple of songs. Still would have been sweet to be there though

I'd say the listed bands fall into the several different genres, that have their roots in rock. Plus we did have Johny Truant play, a metal group. But you're right in saying that we don't get rap, r+b etc.

Hahaha. Emily Haines was so stoned. :p (i didn't go, I was at another show).

I don't blame them though. They were playing vfest the next day, which is much larger =p

They should bring K'naan to Mac.

Last edited by Lij : 08-14-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:19 AM   #44
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I think we should get a DJ to come and play some nice trance, techno, eurodance, dance...anything of that sort.

It'll get us all engergized
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:53 AM   #45
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

K'naan would be SOLID.