MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week 2009 Day 1 Photos temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-06-2009 04:21 PM
Welcome Week 2009 Is Almost Here! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 09-04-2009 06:42 AM
Welcome Week 2009 joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-21-2009 10:06 PM
Welcome Week 2009! Nino General Discussion 26 07-19-2009 07:33 PM
welcome week concerts evansj6 General Discussion 31 08-13-2008 08:33 PM

Welcome Week Concerts 2009

Old 08-17-2009 at 04:44 PM   #76
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I dont think it matters if youre into their sound or not but they've put Canada on the map in a lot of ways, and Neil Pert is one of the best drummers of all time - I'm pretty sure that's something of an epic must see.
Why would it be a must see for someone who doesn't care for their music?

They're a must see for some but not for others regardless of what they did for Canada.
zango
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-17-2009 at 04:49 PM   #77
sew12
Elite Member

I wasn't aware that everyone has to like Rush.

Last edited by temara.brown : 08-17-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: part about zango post was removed
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:04 PM   #78
Gibson

Liked: 3 Times

I don't think it really matters if you're even in love with the band that is playing (although it would be awesome). I think the atmosphere of a hell of a lot of mac students partying with some good Canadian talent is going to make the nights what they are.

on that note I would still like to see people like The Hip, Metric, The Arkells, or even Classified for some nice Canadian rhymes

katie_batt says thanks to Gibson for this post.
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:08 PM   #79
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Rush rocks (imho).....you just have to get used to Geddy Lee's screeching voice, which is not unlike the sound of a crow being tortured in a particularly painful manner....

....kinda makes sense how you can either love them or hate them, no?

Side note: Laurier booked MSTRKRFT?!?! Blasphemy! They are not worthy.....
(jk to all you random Laurier students who happen to be reading this at this moment in time..)
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:23 PM   #80
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
must be some really, really good band. I've heard rumors... that K-OS is very likely.
That'd make welcome week for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Lol, or, you know, Mac could go to extreme lengths and get Daft Punk....
i'm still mourning the fact I missed thier 2007 tour and kanye's tour when he was still sampling thier music; I'd love to have them here.
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:40 PM   #81
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfish View Post
I hear laurier has metric and mstrkrft so there goes 2 good bands maybe the arkells or the contantines can play
Schools can share bands. Metric played at a few universities last year apparently. So did Bedouin in my year.

MSTRKRFT would be awesome.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:02 PM   #82
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Why would it be a must see for someone who doesn't care for their music?

They're a must see for some but not for others regardless of what they did for Canada.
Music fans in general may not be huge fans of their sound or their music, but the members of the band are incredible musicians (there's only three members in Rush, and they honestly sound like a band of 5). It's not just about the sound of their music or any particular song, but it's about everything... the entire experience, from the intricacies of each musicians instrument playing, to the entire dynamic of the band, and yes, the sound of the music (including the natural sounds and the synthesized effects).

For bands like Rush, or Dream Theater, it's worth seeing them simply to watch some incredible musicianship, even if you don't necessarily like their catalogue. We're talking about the best guitar players, bass players, drummers in the world, and being able to see them play (if you're a music fan) is generally awesome. I know as a guitar player, I would love to see how Alex Lifeson plays live and up close.

For people like myself, who are fans of music in general (not just fans of any particular band(s)), it's worth seeing legendary bands like Rush.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:12 PM   #83
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Music fans in general may not be huge fans of their sound or their music, but the members of the band are incredible musicians (there's only three members in Rush, and they honestly sound like a band of 5). It's not just about the sound of their music or any particular song, but it's about everything... the entire experience, from the intricacies of each musicians instrument playing, to the entire dynamic of the band, and yes, the sound of the music (including the natural sounds and the synthesized effects).

For bands like Rush, or Dream Theater, it's worth seeing them simply to watch some incredible musicianship, even if you don't necessarily like their catalogue. We're talking about the best guitar players, bass players, drummers in the world, and being able to see them play (if you're a music fan) is generally awesome. I know as a guitar player, I would love to see how Alex Lifeson plays live and up close.

For people like myself, who are fans of music in general (not just fans of any particular band(s)), it's worth seeing legendary bands like Rush.
I don't have to like or want to see something just b/c of how great it may be to some or even lots of other people.

Just because I expressed an opinion on a band doesn't make it right for someone to hurl an expletive at me.

This is a futile discussion. It doesn't really matter what you or I or that other rude guy thinks of Rush and going back and forth about their epic greatness and what not has very little point. I'm still going to want to see them and you still think it would be great.

Also just b/c I don't like Rush and don't care to see them live doesn't mean I'm not a fan of music in general. I didn't say I don't appreciate their talent, or think they're bad musicians, all I said was they're not on my must see list.

To each his or her own, I just don't appreciate being cursed at b/c I expressed an opinion.

Kayli likes this.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:12 PM   #84
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Oh Rush is definitely worth seeing. I'm not a fan of them, but Geddy Lee is simply incredible to watch on a stage. That would make an epic concert.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:16 PM   #85
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Just because I expressed an opinion on a band doesn't make it right for someone to hurl an expletive at me.

To each his or her own, I just don't appreciate being cursed at b/c I expressed an opinion.
Perhaps it was removed by a moderator, but I don't see anyone cursing or swearing anywhere.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:21 PM   #86
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Perhaps it was removed by a moderator, but I don't see anyone cursing or swearing anywhere.
It was removed b/c that kind of posting violates the TOS of this board. There's no need to tell members they are [insert expletive here] just b/c you disagree with their point of view.

Kayli likes this.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:22 PM   #87
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
It was deleted due to violations of the TOS.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:24 PM   #88
sew12
Elite Member

Moving on...

I hope the bands are released soon. I'm not living on campus or near Mac this year so if someone cool is playing the big Welcome Week concerts that are open to upper years too I want to make a plan to attend.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:28 PM   #89
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was removed right after it was reported.