MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week 2009 Day 1 Photos temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-06-2009 04:21 PM
Welcome Week 2009 Is Almost Here! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 09-04-2009 06:42 AM
Welcome Week 2009 joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-21-2009 10:06 PM
Welcome Week 2009! Nino General Discussion 26 07-19-2009 07:33 PM
welcome week concerts evansj6 General Discussion 31 08-13-2008 08:33 PM

Welcome Week Concerts 2009

Old 08-17-2009 at 06:28 PM   #91
scttclrk7

Liked: 0 Times

K-Os puts on a good show, never really listened to him until i saw him this year.
& Humber College has MSTRKRFT, not sure where whoever heard laurier booked them heard that...
Alexisonfire has gone downhill, they were weak at warped tour this year, city and colour is lame.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:46 PM   #92
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttclrk7 View Post
& Humber College has MSTRKRFT, not sure where whoever heard laurier booked them heard that...
As mentioned multiple schools can book the same bands for their Welcome Week concerts. As long as the concerts are on different nights there is no reason they can't play at more than one school.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:55 PM   #93
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I wasn't aware that everyone has to like Rush.
lmao
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:26 PM   #94
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Why would it be a must see for someone who doesn't care for their music? .
Well how can you call anything a must-see then? I don't particularly care for many modern groups at all, such as the ones being mentioned in this topic *shrug* No biggie.

They're going to bring in whoever they want, and it will probably be something that the radio is paid to play a million times so it's dug into our skulls so we 'like it'.

To quote Reel Big Fish, "Radio plays what they want you to hear. They tell me it's cool, I just don't believe it!"

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:46 PM   #95
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Besides the whole liking/not liking Rush's music debate, it would be amazing if they were to make an appearance simply because they are an ENORMOUSLY famous Canadian rock band (not that common of a musical occurence!).......whi ch consequently means there's little to no chance of them showing up at Mac. Damn!

ANYWHO....I have a mildly-related question: when I was exploring the Mac campus the other day, I walked by Faculty Hollow, which (correct me if I am wrong) is where the concerts are held. How many people can it hold? (just wondering cause it looked like it might be a tight squeeze......which, on second thought, is not necessarily a bad thing lol)
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:48 PM   #96
Nalyd

Down with Webster is an unbelievable band, and for all of those saying mac needs more of a hip-hop presense during welcome week they are perfect for you, trust me no other band will bring as much energy or get the crowd as pumped as the boys from D-Dub!!
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:55 PM   #97
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

^ they played at my highschool (CDDHS) after that whole Facebook competition they ran.....I didn't see them (studying!), but I heard they were quite cool.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:59 PM   #98
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd View Post
Down with Webster is an unbelievable band, and for all of those saying mac needs more of a hip-hop presense during welcome week they are perfect for you, trust me no other band will bring as much energy or get the crowd as pumped as the boys from D-Dub!!
I wasn't impressed with the tracks I've heard. I don't tend to like much modern music though...
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:02 PM   #99
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Besides the whole liking/not liking Rush's music debate, it would be amazing if they were to make an appearance simply because they are an ENORMOUSLY famous Canadian rock band (not that common of a musical occurence!).......whi ch consequently means there's little to no chance of them showing up at Mac. Damn!
Hahahaha considering that they can draw crowds of close to 100 000 , they probably would never even consider doing a frosh show, as awesome as that would be.

Last edited by Taunton : 08-17-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:55 PM   #100
mcx3t

There's a rumor that USS will be at Guelph, but they + Arkells would be FANTASTIC.
Old 08-17-2009 at 09:15 PM   #101
beverage

i would loveloveLOVE to see protest the hero come play...i enjoy seeing them live. but then again, thats just me, i dont think they'd please everyone.
Old 08-17-2009 at 09:18 PM   #102
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverage View Post
i would loveloveLOVE to see protest the hero come play...i enjoy seeing them live. but then again, thats just me, i dont think they'd please everyone.
I've always wished there would be more metal on campus.
Old 08-17-2009 at 10:08 PM   #103
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverage View Post
Last year we had alexisonfire.... not too metaly, but kinda along the same lines as protest the hero. Johnny Truant opened, much more heavy if you like that sort of thing. They were wicked, did a cover of a Cancer bats song!
Old 08-17-2009 at 11:23 PM   #104
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
ANYWHO....I have a mildly-related question: when I was exploring the Mac campus the other day, I walked by Faculty Hollow, which (correct me if I am wrong) is where the concerts are held. How many people can it hold? (just wondering cause it looked like it might be a tight squeeze......which, on second thought, is not necessarily a bad thing lol)
In short, lots. I've never seen a concert at faculty hollow where people are turned away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcx3t View Post
There's a rumor that USS will be at Guelph, but they + Arkells would be FANTASTIC.
I have a feeling that no one knows that the guys from the Arkells went to Mac (one was a Brandon WW rep for two years) and they won the Mac Battle of the Bands in 2006...

Just sayin'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
Last year we had alexisonfire.... not too metaly, but kinda along the same lines as protest the hero. Johnny Truant opened, much more heavy if you like that sort of thing. They were wicked, did a cover of a Cancer bats song!
I'd love to have Protest play at Mac again...soo good...And despite my taste in music (which you kinda know Ian) I was not a fan of Johnny Truant.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:29 PM   #105
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

What about SYDNEY
i'd have to say, they are canadian
And AMAZING <3

Down with Webster's not bad actually.
I enjoyed their myspace songs