MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Wet Laptop...New Laptop?

Old 12-13-2009 at 10:07 AM   #16
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

the problem with me is....i didn't turn it off! now don't bash me for being stupid, it was my first laptop and i didn't remember to remove the battery in the panic

thanks for the Boxing day tip infinity, i'll wait
also steph, i already knew that...checked it the same day :(
lawley, i know :(

btw, people who are asking me how the laptop is right now...it's in staples getting ready to ship to toshiba (and has been that way since i posted)
so any suggestions for good laptops??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Here's a cheap replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98cYRUnbBhI&N R=1

(In honour of my 1000'th post)
bad time to make fun

Last edited by Afzal : 12-13-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:42 PM   #17
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
the problem with me is....i didn't turn it off! now don't bash me for being stupid, it was my first laptop and i didn't remember to remove the battery in the panic

thanks for the Boxing day tip infinity, i'll wait
also steph, i already knew that...checked it the same day :(
lawley, i know :(

btw, people who are asking me how the laptop is right now...it's in staples getting ready to ship to toshiba (and has been that way since i posted)
so any suggestions for good laptops??

bad time to make fun
heres a pretty good one...fairy cheap tii: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=T71-15607
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:54 PM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
bad time to make fun
I'm not making fun...it's just the perfect time to make that reference. (ie. what other topic would I post it in?)
Old 12-13-2009 at 03:41 PM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

So i check the model online and it says it came with 4GB ram?
If you dont get it fixed, take the ram out and if it still works you could get around 50$,depending on what type of ram it is, for it. Also if your harddrive still works, just buy a 15$ enclosure and whola, you have yourself a brandnew external harddrive .

btw, if, hopefully not, it comes to the stage where your gonna throw it out. I wouldnt mind taking it. I enjoy taking those things apart 555
Old 12-13-2009 at 06:07 PM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I'm sure Toshiba will repair it for you for a much cheaper amount than a brand new laptop.

That said if you really want a suggestion this one is comparable to what you had for $699.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...&catid= 26955

That's a sale price until December 17th, regular is $799 but they also have it at Futureshop for $729 which I think might be the regular price there.

It doesn't have an HDMI port though which that link you gave says the model you had did or it might have just been an option. I don't know if that's important to you.

Comes with Windows 7, 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, and Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 processor so similar to what you had.

My cousin tested this one out in store a couple weeks ago and really liked it and bought it.
Old 12-13-2009 at 06:35 PM   #21
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm sure Toshiba will repair it for you for a much cheaper amount than a brand new laptop.

That said if you really want a suggestion this one is comparable to what you had for $699.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...&catid= 26955

That's a sale price until December 17th, regular is $799 but they also have it at Futureshop for $729 which I think might be the regular price there.

It doesn't have an HDMI port though which that link you gave says the model you had did or it might have just been an option. I don't know if that's important to you.

Comes with Windows 7, 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, and Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 processor so similar to what you had.

My cousin tested this one out in store a couple weeks ago and really liked it and bought it.
That laptop you mentioned is different from the one he has. It is using an integrated graphics card(intel) and not a discrete graphics card that he has.
Old 12-13-2009 at 06:50 PM   #22
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
That laptop you mentioned is different from the one he has. It is using an integrated graphics card(intel) and not a discrete graphics card that he has.
I know its different, I just said it was comparable.

He'd need to check out the specs on it specifically to see if its missing anything that was important to him on thnoe original. For example the HDMI port and the discrete graphics card that came with the one he has now may not have been very important features to him.

That said I still don't think he needs to purchase another brand new laptop mere months after his first one. He made a mistake and its not covered under warranty but Toshiba will be able to repair or replace it for a price which if they're reasonable and wish to keep him as a customer should be a lot lower than the cost of a brand new laptop.
Old 12-14-2009 at 10:36 AM   #23
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I know its different, I just said it was comparable.

He'd need to check out the specs on it specifically to see if its missing anything that was important to him on thnoe original. For example the HDMI port and the discrete graphics card that came with the one he has now may not have been very important features to him.

That said I still don't think he needs to purchase another brand new laptop mere months after his first one. He made a mistake and its not covered under warranty but Toshiba will be able to repair or replace it for a price which if they're reasonable and wish to keep him as a customer should be a lot lower than the cost of a brand new laptop.
Intel GMA 4500M = dealbreaker :(
yeah, mine had an HDMI port, the thing is...I don't wanna buy that same one again if I need to because it was a fingerprint magnet

I'm condsidering an HP dv6- (some model with nVidia 130, 230, 220 w/e or ATi 4650) both of these gpus are twice as better as my old one (acc to 3dmark atleast)

anyways, so what kinda deals does boxing day have, I'm new here

Last edited by Afzal : 12-14-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:08 AM   #24
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&Sku=T71-15606

Or just browse through and see their selection. Much better than other bigger stores and good prices.
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:39 AM   #25
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

ouch sorry for your lost.

Old 12-14-2009 at 11:55 AM   #26
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
ouch sorry for your lost.
hey! it's not lost yet lol, j/k im hoping for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&Sku=T71-15606

Or just browse through and see their selection. Much better than other bigger stores and good prices.
not good enough, 3 GB RAM + integrated gpu + not even core 2 duo + just 250 gb, although it might be good for that price...my range is a bit high

any experiences with MSI? this looks nice:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...209&CatId=4938

Last edited by Afzal : 12-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2009 at 03:13 PM   #27
lmasud

Quote:
I'm condsidering an HP dv6- (some model with nVidia 130, 230, 220 w/e or ATi 4650) both of these gpus are twice as better as my old one (acc to 3dmark atleast)

anyways, so what kinda deals does boxing day have, I'm new here
dv6 is fingerprint magnet too...unless you get the white one, then its not as noticeable. u want something that does attract fingerprints, go with a HP ProBook
Old 12-14-2009 at 03:18 PM   #28
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
dv6 is fingerprint magnet too...unless you get the white one, then its not as noticeable. u want something that does attract fingerprints, go with a HP ProBook
i dont...
how's the MSI notebook i linked to in the above post?
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:04 PM   #29
lmasud

I haven't seen the MSI in real life, but from the pics in the link, it looked like its made from brushed metal, so fingerprint shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-15-2009 at 07:29 AM   #30
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
I haven't seen the MSI in real life, but from the pics in the link, it looked like its made from brushed metal, so fingerprint shouldn't be an issue.
and its got a 9600gt too so it will outperform the older one
anyways, i'm just hoping i don't have to lose all the money i invested in that one :( i don't care if i lose the thing itself because i'm gonna get an hd backup, the deviantart glow sticker and remove the win 7 license from it